Border Collie for fulltiming? (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have seen all types of dogs in motorhomes whether there are fulltiming or not, unlike a human who need to register with a doctor, any vet will see to a dog in any region, Tez has to get his prescriptions sent to us by my daughter to wherever we are but could ask any doctor for his tablets as we do with Susie if he was of the animal variety, I know he is in a sense but you know what I mean.
So go for it and they are very good company, especially if you are in your own.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My wife's mother used to breed border collies for obedience training.
Although she doesn't breed them any longer, she recently acquired a rescue border collie puppy.

She still knows lots of breeders (and what attributes they breed for), so if you want her details, I'm sure she wouldn't mind having a chat with you.

She's from the north-east, as well, so she might have contacts there!

Yes please, I'd love to have a chat with her! Can you PM me her contact details? Or if you prefer I can PM you mine to pass on to her. :Smile:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have seen all types of dogs in motorhomes whether there are fulltiming or not, unlike a human who need to register with a doctor, any vet will see to a dog in any region, Tez has to get his prescriptions sent to us by my daughter to wherever we are but could ask any doctor for his tablets as we do with Susie if he was of the animal variety, I know he is in a sense but you know what I mean.
So go for it and they are very good company, especially if you are in your own.

I'm really looking forward to having a canine 'co-pilot' as Jane calls her Jess. :Smile:

Am currently reading a no-nonsense book called 'Understanding Border Collies' by Barbara Sykes. Lots of good stuff in there for prospective owners of any type of dog - explains how your dog thinks and how to keep one step ahead of it! ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
dead interesting that book Maz,

I have read Ceaser Milan's book, "The Dog Whisperer" in it he says, All dogs are dogs, all this breed thing is a pile of poo and that a pedigree dog is nothing more than a dog in a designer coat.

Thought it was strange as certain dog's have their certain traits, and never met anyone who agreed with what he says, but He is an amazing dog trainer and he still, states it. :Cool:

Wonder what you (or others) think of that?

I think, he means, that even Tara could be trained to round up sheep.

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
re fulltiming with a border collie

If you have any doubts read the blog "Charlie Dog Came too" which a couple have wrote about their travels in a Van conversion across Europe over a 12 month period with a Border Collie.They don't appear to have had any problems.

We lost our previous dog (a small easy to convey Schnauzer) & in our loss, some might say took the slightly misguided route of owning a German Shepherd. Yes he's big, & sheds quite a bit of fur, but he absolutely loves travelling in what will soon be a very down sized Camper Van. His enthusiasm for our travels, we wouldn't miss for anything & what better excuse for getting onto the beach on a beautiful sunny morning especially when you're abroad & Dax being not 3 years old yet has already had his passport stamped twice.

Do what your instinct tells you & gain a loyal companion for hopefully many years to come.

Clive & Rhian

Griffs

:Smile:

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Lot of beaches in France are barred to dogs and given France seems to be the dog poo capital of the world, I'm not surprised really. If they would only all take responsibility for it like what we do, then their dogs could have a lot more fun. One of Pete's dogs wouldn't tolerate a seagull within 100 paces and caused mass hilarity on any beach by constantly seeing em off, even swimming out to them to chase them, when they were sitting dabbling their tootsies in the brine!

:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
dead interesting that book Maz,

I have read Ceaser Milan's book, "The Dog Whisperer" in it he says, All dogs are dogs, all this breed thing is a pile of poo and that a pedigree dog is nothing more than a dog in a designer coat.

Thought it was strange as certain dog's have their certain traits, and never met anyone who agreed with what he says, but He is an amazing dog trainer and he still, states it. :Cool:

Wonder what you (or others) think of that?

I think, he means, that even Tara could be trained to round up sheep.

Hi Paul. I haven't read the 'Dog Whisperer' book but think Tara is more likely to be accepted into a flock of sheep than round them up - bless her! :Smile:

As you say, over the years man has developed different breeds for different jobs. Although each dog is an individual the breed characteristics do tend to guide their behaviour - although there will always be mavericks, as with humans. :winky:

However I think that the underlying trait in all dogs is that they are pack animals and need to be taught their place in the pack (ie the owner is pack leader and this is not negotiable). Once that is established, then any other training becomes relatively simple. Some dogs offer more of a challenge to you as pack leader than others ........

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011