Border Collie for fulltiming?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by maz, Jun 9, 2011.

1. maz

maz Funster

Now that I've settled into fulltiming I'd very much like a dog as a travelling companion and am drawn towards a Border Collie. Have owned one in the past and like their intelligence and loyalty. :Smile:

Does anyone have any experience or opinion of Border Collies as fulltiming dogs? I would be looking for a puppy from a pet strain not a working sheepdog.

2. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

Not too sure of fulltiming,but when we go away we have to take our 2 dogs, Border Collie and Jack Russel with us ,

we lost our " Lady" Border Collie about two weeks ago aged 17 years and she never missed a trip
    loved it:Sad:

Just this week spent a couple of days away and our other Border Collie was shivering with excitement, as we were getting the van ready

on site we have to tie up the JR but the Collie justs stays by the van no problem at all

I think that a Border Collie will be the perfect companion

3. JJ

JJ Funster

Are there such things as small border collies? :Rofl1:

JJ:Cool:

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

• Like Like x 1
  5. maz

maz Funster

Sorry to hear about your Lady. 17 years is a good age and she must have had lots of happy holidays.

6. maz

maz Funster

That puts me in mind of the Two Ronnies sketch when a 'miniature' Golden Retriever turned out to be a hamster. :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  7. maz

maz Funster

No carpets, no worries about shedding. :Smile:

8. artona

artona

I have had two border collies, one as a boy when my family had the farm and she loved the freedom of the fields, I loved growing up with her. My mum is a lovely lady and a great mum but how I shouted at her when she bought me a mars bar to cheer me up when Patch died. I was 8 and my life felt over.

When our first three children were young we got Lucy another collie. We lived in the town then and there just were not the fields for her to run in.

I imagine fulltiming and a collie would go well together. I know you love walking Maz and she would make a great companion

stew

9. maz

maz Funster

I'm hoping so. :Smile:

10. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Funster

Hi Maz

I'm sure you'd notice a huge difference with a companion on board. I couldn't imagine not having Jess with me now - her sheer joy and exuberance is amazing (as you may have noticed!). You never feel on your own when you've got your little mate to talk to. Also with a dog you tend to mix alot more with people on sites.

Let me know when you get a puppy and maybe we could meet up. Jess loves other dogs :BigGrin:

Good luck in your search.

11. Oldroadies

Oldroadies Read Only Funster

I'd go for a Border Collie too as you've got experience of them, very adaptable and won't be bored if you're travelling around, lots of new and exciting walks to stem the boredom. Also can curl up small enough to not get in the way and a reasonable size as a guard dog, we have a BC cross and a very naughty little barge dog, Crossbreed is never tied up nor roams, Miss Naughty constantly making a bid for freedom if not tied up! :thumb:

12. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Maz ......a Border Collie loves to work as does a spaniel , so I can not understand how a wonderful working breed... dog/bitch as you suggest would be happy just walking / travelling about ....yes you may be able to work him/her at times but they are born to do this daily IMHO xxx

There are breeds out there that would be a wonderful companion to the life you could offer him/her xxx

Kath xx

13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I think even the most hyperactive working dog will have troubles with Maz. The dog will not lack for exercise. I can just imagine the dog rolling it's eyes thinking "What ANOTHER walk?" :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

14. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  15. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Well according to your ‘[FONT=&quot]A woman's rule of thumb:’ [/FONT]it will have to be a her then :Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. OwnedbyCollies

OwnedbyCollies Funster

Excellent choice! We have 2 at the moment - Jack and Jess - and yes! they do come in small!!! We used to worry that Jess was small but its a blessing - she is really cuddly and sits on our knees and I can easily pick her up! She is also like a ferret and can get in (or out!!) of gaps - even when she is not supposed to!

Jack is a rescue dog from working stock but is scared of sheep:Doh: He is 12 and weighs about 22kg.

Jess is 2 and is half Jacks size - she weighs about 13kg. She comes from a show background but is VERY interested in little creatures and sheep and we have to keep a close eye on her!:Eeek:

They both love the MH and travel well.

17. maz

maz Funster

The collie I had before was from working stock and as I had sheep at the time I initially took him to sheepdog classes. Unfortunately he was rubbish at this, so I took him to agility classes instead which he loved and excelled at (apart from the weave which he had to slow down for and got bored with halfway through!). :Smile:

18. maz

maz Funster

Hi Kath. I understand your concerns - and that's why I'll be getting a puppy from a pet strain rather than a working one. Hopefully it will turn out to enjoy agility as much as my previous collie did - and there's always heelwork to music. :Smile:

19. maz

maz Funster

I did go past here when I was staying on Cannock Chase but had a friend with me who doesn't like dogs so was forbidden from going in. :RollEyes:

However I think it will be easier to train a puppy to adapt to a life of fulltiming rather than an adult dog.

20. maz

maz Funster

Oh yes, it's definitely going to be a girl! :BigGrin: