Border Collie for fulltiming? (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Now that I've settled into fulltiming I'd very much like a dog as a travelling companion and am drawn towards a Border Collie. Have owned one in the past and like their intelligence and loyalty. :Smile:

Does anyone have any experience or opinion of Border Collies as fulltiming dogs? I would be looking for a puppy from a pet strain not a working sheepdog.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Not too sure of fulltiming,but when we go away we have to take our 2 dogs, Border Collie and Jack Russel with us ,

we lost our " Lady" Border Collie about two weeks ago aged 17 years and she never missed a trip
loved it:Sad:

Just this week spent a couple of days away and our other Border Collie was shivering with excitement, as we were getting the van ready

on site we have to tie up the JR but the Collie justs stays by the van no problem at all

I think that a Border Collie will be the perfect companion

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Dogs like these little chaps that don't shed hair are great for motorhomes. Your hoover bags will last longer:Smile:

Non-Shedding-Dog.jpg

Dogs-That-Dont-Shed.jpg

http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/dogs-that-dont-shed.html

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Not too sure of fulltiming,but when we go away we have to take our 2 dogs, Border Collie and Jack Russel with us ,

we lost our " Lady" Border Collie about two weeks ago aged 17 years and she never missed a trip
loved it:Sad:

Just this week spent a couple of days away and our other Border Collie was shivering with excitement, as we were getting the van ready

on site we have to tie up the JR but the Collie justs stays by the van no problem at all

I think that a Border Collie will be the perfect companion

Sorry to hear about your Lady. 17 years is a good age and she must have had lots of happy holidays.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Are there such things as small border collies? :ROFLMAO:

JJ:Cool:

That puts me in mind of the Two Ronnies sketch when a 'miniature' Golden Retriever turned out to be a hamster. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
I have had two border collies, one as a boy when my family had the farm and she loved the freedom of the fields, I loved growing up with her. My mum is a lovely lady and a great mum but how I shouted at her when she bought me a mars bar to cheer me up when Patch died. I was 8 and my life felt over.

When our first three children were young we got Lucy another collie. We lived in the town then and there just were not the fields for her to run in.

I imagine fulltiming and a collie would go well together. I know you love walking Maz and she would make a great companion

stew

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Hi Maz

I'm sure you'd notice a huge difference with a companion on board. I couldn't imagine not having Jess with me now - her sheer joy and exuberance is amazing (as you may have noticed!). You never feel on your own when you've got your little mate to talk to. Also with a dog you tend to mix alot more with people on sites.

Let me know when you get a puppy and maybe we could meet up. Jess loves other dogs ::bigsmile:

Good luck in your search.

Oldroadies

Free Member
Jun 21, 2009
Channel Islands
Funster No
MH
Coach built Autocruise
Exp
6 + 20 caravaning
I'd go for a Border Collie too as you've got experience of them, very adaptable and won't be bored if you're travelling around, lots of new and exciting walks to stem the boredom. Also can curl up small enough to not get in the way and a reasonable size as a guard dog, we have a BC cross and a very naughty little barge dog, Crossbreed is never tied up nor roams, Miss Naughty constantly making a bid for freedom if not tied up! :thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Maz ......a Border Collie loves to work as does a spaniel , so I can not understand how a wonderful working breed... dog/bitch as you suggest would be happy just walking / travelling about ....yes you may be able to work him/her at times but they are born to do this daily IMHO xxx

There are breeds out there that would be a wonderful companion to the life you could offer him/her xxx

Kath xx

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
yes you may be able to work him/her at times but they are born to do this daily IMHO xxx

I think even the most hyperactive working dog will have troubles with Maz. The dog will not lack for exercise. I can just imagine the dog rolling it's eyes thinking "What ANOTHER walk?" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Excellent choice! We have 2 at the moment - Jack and Jess - and yes! they do come in small!!! We used to worry that Jess was small but its a blessing - she is really cuddly and sits on our knees and I can easily pick her up! She is also like a ferret and can get in (or out!!) of gaps - even when she is not supposed to!

Jack is a rescue dog from working stock but is scared of sheep:Doh: He is 12 and weighs about 22kg.

Jess is 2 and is half Jacks size - she weighs about 13kg. She comes from a show background but is VERY interested in little creatures and sheep and we have to keep a close eye on her!:Eeek:

They both love the MH and travel well.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I'd go for a Border Collie too as you've got experience of them, very adaptable and won't be bored if you're travelling around, lots of new and exciting walks to stem the boredom. Also can curl up small enough to not get in the way and a reasonable size as a guard dog, we have a BC cross and a very naughty little barge dog, Crossbreed is never tied up nor roams, Miss Naughty constantly making a bid for freedom if not tied up! :thumb:

The collie I had before was from working stock and as I had sheep at the time I initially took him to sheepdog classes. Unfortunately he was rubbish at this, so I took him to agility classes instead which he loved and excelled at (apart from the weave which he had to slow down for and got bored with halfway through!). :Smile:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Maz ......a Border Collie loves to work as does a spaniel , so I can not understand how a wonderful working breed... dog/bitch as you suggest would be happy just walking / travelling about ....yes you may be able to work him/her at times but they are born to do this daily IMHO xxx

There are breeds out there that would be a wonderful companion to the life you could offer him/her xxx

Kath xx

Hi Kath. I understand your concerns - and that's why I'll be getting a puppy from a pet strain rather than a working one. Hopefully it will turn out to enjoy agility as much as my previous collie did - and there's always heelwork to music. :Smile:

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Maz, we're now sharing our lives with Mk4 Border Collie and it's the only breed for us. Roxy, the current incumbent, is small, light and the best companion anyone could wish for. Like most dogs, she adores motorhoming and adapted to it on her first trip.

I think you've made an excellent choice.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Well I think that when a border collie chooses you as it's companion it will be making a fine choice. Lots of travels and I'm sure you do really think things through as your intelligence and knowledge shines through from our brief discussions.
A collie only really needs stimulation from whatever stock. Lookback who is a member here had his picking up rubbish after the bring and buy and I was most impressed. I personally would not have a collie as I don't have enough free time whereas my big girl just needs a couple of walks or swims a day and that's that she is flaked out, although she adores going away in the Motorhome and having a dog has completely changed our lives for the better although I am thinking Of changing her name to no no bad girl ::bigsmile:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
A Border Collie would make an excellent travelling companion and if you want to cut down on the hair loss take him to the same pet parlour as my neighbours, I think the chap was due a visit to Specsavers, oh, and these pics were taken last week, 6 weeks after she was trimmed. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
A Border Collie would make an excellent travelling companion and if you want to cut down on the hair loss take him to the same pet parlour as my neighbours, I think the chap was due a visit to Specsavers, oh, and these pics were taken last week, 6 weeks after she was trimmed. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That is a rather severe haircut! :whatthe: Will stick to brushing rather than trimming. :Smile:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts and experience. Now all I have to do is find a reputable breeder willing to home one of their precious puppies to a madwoman living in a van .......... :wub:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The rescue would be worth a ring as I think they do sometimes get a bitch with pups:thumb:

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts and experience. Now all I have to do is find a reputable breeder willing to home one of their precious puppies to a madwoman living in a van .......... :wub:
Maz

I have a friend who's big in obedience (dog stuff, not a dominatrix :ROFLMAO:). She has a fairly new BC pup who is a lovely dog and doing brilliantly in training. I shall ask her where she found the pup.

I'm sure that breeders will snap your hand off - after all you are offering nearly constant company for your dog, as opposed to the rest of us who leave their dog while we work. :Blush:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The rescue would be worth a ring as I think they do sometimes get a bitch with pups:thumb:

Thanks for that - I'll give them a ring. Tho' I'm hoping to maybe find one in Northumberland as I'll be in that lovely county from 17 June to at least 4 July. :Smile:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Maz

I have a friend who's big in obedience (dog stuff, not a dominatrix :ROFLMAO:). She has a fairly new BC pup who is a lovely dog and doing brilliantly in training. I shall ask her where she found the pup.

I'm sure that breeders will snap your hand off - after all you are offering nearly constant company for your dog, as opposed to the rest of us who leave their dog while we work. :Blush:

Hi Jane and thanks for that. Does your friend also live in the Bristol area? I probably won't be heading that far south until the autumn. :Sad:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
My wife's mother used to breed border collies for obedience training.
Although she doesn't breed them any longer, she recently acquired a rescue border collie puppy.

She still knows lots of breeders (and what attributes they breed for), so if you want her details, I'm sure she wouldn't mind having a chat with you.

She's from the north-east, as well, so she might have contacts there!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back