Booze cruise xmas market trip (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
well we have booked the next trip some / all of you might think we are mad but looking at the tunnel booking thingy yesterday , found that if you go after midnight one day you can come back upto midnight the next day at day trip rates, so, we have booked the 1.50 on Monday 15 dec and the 22.20 on Tuesday 16 dec for £58 return, now the plan is to go down about 6 on Sunday night catch the train then get heads down in cite europe till late morning then down to ipers xmas market for the day then either stay there the night or back to gravelines for their xmas market then have a free day to go shopping at cite Europe or somewhere else for about 100 bottles of wine at a saving of about £3 a bottle so should come home in pocket but knackered;)(y)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
well we have booked the next trip some / all of you might think we are mad but looking at the tunnel booking thingy yesterday , found that if you go after midnight one day you can come back upto midnight the next day at day trip rates, so, we have booked the 1.50 on Monday 15 dec and the 22.20 on Tuesday 16 dec for £58 return, now the plan is to go down about 6 on Sunday night catch the train then get heads down in cite europe till late morning then down to ipers xmas market for the day then either stay there the night or back to gravelines for their xmas market then have a free day to go shopping at cite Europe or somewhere else for about 100 bottles of wine at a saving of about £3 a bottle so should come home in pocket but knackered;)(y)
I think if you add on the adventure aspect its worth it. I dont think the old fashioned "booze cruises" are worth the time and money anymore what with fuel/ferry costs an all.
We bought home nearly 200 bottles home in Oct but we were there anyway.
Phil

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have used this cheap service in the past for a quick trip for minor warranty work in Belgium..tunnel every time for us. better still with frequent traveller scheme.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think if you add on the adventure aspect its worth it. I dont think the old fashioned "booze cruises" are worth the time and money anymore what with fuel/ferry costs an all.
We bought home nearly 200 bottles home in Oct but we were there anyway.
Phil
Agree with you but at this price , and nothing better to do thought it was worth a go:)we usually bring enough wine , beer and fags (don't smoke mind) for about three months when we go, but this is the first splash and dash we have done, and should get some Xmas stuff as well(y). It's the 200 odd miles to dover that spoils it for us, but the tunnel price is a real bargain couldn't find a ferry to match it.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have used this cheap service in the past for a quick trip for minor warranty work in Belgium..tunnel every time for us. better still with frequent traveller scheme.
Might look into that, this will be our forth crossing this year so would have saved a bit there.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Might look into that, this will be our forth crossing this year so would have saved a bit there.

I have a thread on french forum?..(probably the wrong place) about sharing frequent traveller scheme. I started a similar thread on another forum and people joined up for the scheme. Once you find a partner, you can split the 5 crossings anyway you want between you and buy extras at the flat £46 +£11 (camper supplement)

I'm partnered up with a forum member I have never meet, others likewise...but we chat via email. It has worked well for us last year...

thats the trouble with this being such an active forum. threads disappear into the wide blue yonder so quickly :)

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
We did the day trip option last weekend but built in staying at a lovely site in Ashford to make a weekend of it due to the drive we have from the North West down to the tunnel. stocked up on beer, wine and decent household stuff, then called at Bluewater on the way home for a spot of further shopping hehe ! Tip if you want to go to Bluewater - park in the coach park which is less than a minute walk from House of Fraser :D

DebsD

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
North West England
Funster No
MH
KonTiki 640 (an old one)!
Exp
Since 2008
Boxes almost entirely for us as well. Lower weight, easier to pack and less 'clunking' noises on the trip back home lol

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I don't buy beer in England any more, and we only get wine here if it's freebie part of a supermarket meal deal. We have a shed full of enough French wine and beer to last us until our next excursion.

Another dimension worth considering towards making a trip pay for itself is flea markets. I sell old stuff for part of my living, but I know of others who visit flea markets on the continent when on holiday and stock up on stuff that they can sell at auction or on eBay for a profit when they get home. Take a look at the prices Tesco are charging for copper pots and pans which are very in - £50 for a medium sized frying pan. The old ones can be be bought for less than a tenner at flea markets.

If you're in Belgium, I'm told Ghent has one on a Friday, Waterloo has one every Sunday, and Brussels has one every day.

Next year we've arranged both holidays to coincide with big flea markets in Northern Europe, so while most days will be spent resting, a few will be spent buying in stock for re-sale.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Loads of boxes and a few empty screw top wine bottles if we want to be posh :D

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the heads up on this. Have just booked the 20 past midnight next Friday coming back 8 pm on the Sunday and booked myself into Ypres campsite. Will do the Xmas market there and possibly pop in to see my relatives.

Sonja

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We've done this in the car many times..outside peak season they allow you to get a train up to 2 hours each side of your booking. In about 6 or so trips like this we've only been turned away once and that was in June I think.

We don't do booze though as we don't drink enough to bother..

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We've done this in the car many times..outside peak season they allow you to get a train up to 2 hours each side of your booking. In about 6 or so trips like this we've only been turned away once and that was in June I think.

We don't do booze though as we don't drink enough to bother..
You don't have to drink it yourself;)(y)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for the heads up on this. Have just booked the 20 past midnight next Friday coming back 8 pm on the Sunday and booked myself into Ypres campsite. Will do the Xmas market there and possibly pop in to see my relatives.

Sonja
You could have stayed on the aire by the canal just off the menin gate for free

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Sonja
Glad it helped, it's a bargain if you are close to Folkestone

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
You could have stayed on the aire by the canal just off the menin gate for free

When we were there at Easter we were told that it wasn't an Aire and you could be moved on. Didn't see any evidence of this and plenty of vans there. But For the sake of 12 euros a night with electric and wifi (variable) it's not too bad.

Sonja

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back