Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I'm looking for some advice on which books should i consider to Buy that have useful information on places to go / see and things to do when we finally get around to going to France & Spain Wild camping in our MH.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Wild swimming in France by Daniel Start if you like lakes and river swimming. I think he has done one for Spain as well now.
The most beautiful villages in France, but to be fair you can get most of the online now.
I would start looking at the areas you fancy then going into their officedetoursime website.
Eg I passed through Alsace a few times before realising it was stunning. Vendee region has been missed (but not in April) Brittany is getting a going over in July. There are some truly stunning regions and it is what fits you.
Just don't try and do it all at once. (I and many others have made that mistake)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
There are some large, and expensive, books about The Best Villages in France and Secret Places in France and similar.
Cost a bloomin fortune but not if you get them from charity shops.
I mostly by my paperbacks there so always take a look at the big book shelves - sometimes something, sometimes not.
And, at charity shop prices, good to pass them on to other travellers.
Library sales also a good source.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
And don't forget
by Funster John Laidler.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We always have Lonely Planet type books to give an overview of the country and special spots of general interest. We buy them second hand for a few quid, as scenery, castles and museums tend not to change much: we're not interested in hotels nor restaurants so upto date info isn't paramount.

One word of caution: last year, for the first time ever, we ditched campsite books and relied on the tablet with online/offline information. Sadly, it went t*tsup after we'd traveled 200 miles and despite spending 5 hours, including an hour on the phone to my computer engineer (son, using his business-paid for iphone) it proved to be a total write-off. Never again! (n)(n)(n)

Gordon

PS fully support the local TIC once you're "there".

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks all for the suggestions , loads for me to ponder over.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back