Booking the Channel Tunnel for the first time HELP! (1 Viewer)

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Just trying for the first time to see how much a tunnel crossing will cost us and am a bit baffled by the website - we have a 7.5 m motor home - do you just book in as a campervan? are there any size limitations? We are taking our dog can we all just stay in the van? your help would be appreciated!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
On short journeys we always stay in van.

Shut the curtains and enjoy free beer and food :roflmto:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes, just book as campervan (size does not matter) and yes you all stay in the vehicle through the tunnel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Motorhomes or camper vans all one price!
Stay in van with dog for comfort,easy way to travel stress free. :thumb:

Vlad

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi, if i remember right, click campervan it will then open another window asking for more details , i think most people round down the MH length :winky:
if all else fails phone them but first look on the internet for a local call number so you dont pay premium rates ,

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
France, Midi pyrenees
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Tunnel Train

Just book as camper, its easy, Stay in camper, great if you have dog, sometimes extra security checks & sometime they check Gas is off, when leaving uk, we use travel time to have meal break before arriving in france

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Don't forget you can use your Tesco vouchers at a rate of 3 to 1 if you collect them - all you need to know here

Broken Link Removed

:thumb:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just trying for the first time to see how much a tunnel crossing will cost us and am a bit baffled by the website - we have a 7.5 m motor home - do you just book in as a campervan? are there any size limitations? We are taking our dog can we all just stay in the van? your help would be appreciated!

Motorhomes go in coach carriages.
Just sit in the back with your dog - chances are you wont even notice the train is moving :Smile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You will need to turn the gas off before you get to the check in, or just after. You will be stopped and this will be checked just after you go through passport control, and again on the way back as you get to the waiting lanes.
I assume you have the appropriate docs ( pet passport), for the dog.
Just stay in the van till you drive off. I generally turn the gas back on just before we get off the train.
On your way back, you need to check into the Pet Control building which is just after you check in and get your return ticket / hangar ( you did take him / her to a vet to have worming tabs 1 and 5 days before your return?). You need to veer off to the right following the signs, park in the car park and take the dog in with its passport, booking reference and van reg number ( this is a good time to turn your gas off). They will give you the scanner to scan the dogs microchip, sign the forms and give you a card to put in the windscreen.
Then you drive to passport control and onto the train.

Have a great trip

Allan

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

You pretty much must just stay in the van. At least, the van will provide far more interest than the boring train carriage. One big advantage of the tunnel is its dog friendliness, as it is quick and you can stay with them.

Just check that any LPG limitations are met. If you've got a diesel or petrol, you should be OK. If your engine runs on LPG, you haven't a chance. Limits for fixed or portable habitation LPG are generous. However, there are strict rules for gauges and isolation valves. They WILL check. Read the rules and make sure you can comply.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
On your way back, you need to check into the Pet Control building which is just after you check in and get your return ticket / hangar ( you did take him / her to a vet to have worming tabs 1 and 5 days before your return?). You need to veer off to the right following the signs, park in the car park and take the dog in with its passport, booking reference and van reg number ( this is a good time to turn your gas off). They will give you the scanner to scan the dogs microchip, sign the forms and give you a card to put in the windscreen.
Then you drive to passport control and onto the train.

Allan

I think you'll find you have to check your pet in BEFORE you check in yourselves and vehicle.
Enjoy your trip.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
As said above, one of the best parts is , if on your return trip you are early or late you can--

Just drive up to a booking in booth which is unattended early and a camera reads your reg number and on a touch screen it knows all about you:Eeek:
Then you are given a choice of buttons to go on a earlier than booked return trip or a later one at no cost.
It then prints out a ticket as what you want:thumb:
Drive in and wait.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
This video may help you with your concerns - [ame]http://youtu.be/rzW5TQtZ8EA[/ame]

To watch the Youtube video in best picture quality click on the 'cog' at the bottom right hand corner of the video and select '1080pHD'

The video is about 27 minutes long and unless you have a very fast connection speed it is better to download the Video and watch after the download.

:france::france::france:

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
Thanks RBD for your video.

Wondered what dash-cam you used since it is very good?

As a note for fellow dog-owners, when you come back before the Pet Passport section your dog will have to wear a muzzle when you take him/her to be checked/scanned.

Our Rosie, tricolour border-collie hates the muzzle & by the time we reach the queue has usually succeeded in scratching it off so it hangs like a rather fetching kerchief! Never known any of the Eurotunnel staff bother about that though.

We usually use the Tunnel for cheapness with our Tesco vouchers tripled up. The only 'however' for me is it's almost too quick compared with the ferry & somehow not as much fun. I'm sure Rosie much prefers being with us though.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
DrRogerRam - As a note for fellow dog-owners, when you come back before the Pet Passport section your dog will have to wear a muzzle when you take him/her to be checked/scanned.

We were in the Pet Passport office last Sunday, along with about 20 others dog owners, and I've never seen any dog with a muzzle on in all the times we've been there.

Where did you get the info about muzzles?

The camera is a Driving Recorder DR32 - reviewed by Techmoan - [ame]http://youtu.be/P-dfvPX0dOs[/ame] Not the cheapest camera but very easy to use and gives a reasonably good quality picture.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
We were told by a Eurotunnel French staff member the first time we came back. Thought it was a bit odd 'cos they ask you to do the scanning & stay behind their desk.

I've just checked their website & a muzzle is not a requirement .

Thanks for the info about the camera.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Nice video :thumb:

The last time we were stopped before the ramp at the approach I asked the Hi-Vis wearer. The reason he gave was that we had gas bottles on and had to be at the very rear of vehicles so get held up in case any late cars turn up.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Are there no checks whatsoever on your dog when leaving the UK ?
If not how do they know you have one,Whats to stop you saying I'm going over to collect mine after his holiday :winky:

Vlad

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
If you are a member of the Caravan and Camping club you get a 10% discount.

You also get a discount in the Caravan Club but you need to book campsites in Europe to get the discount

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
If not how do they know you have one,Whats to stop you saying I'm going over to collect mine after his holiday :winky:

Vlad
No, none whatsoever. It's only when entering the UK with a dog/animal that the checks are deemed to be necessary 'cos the UK want to ensure that rabies is not brought over here with your animal. Why the insistence on tapeworm treatment I don't know 'cos we already have that in this country.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Vlad

The check-in at DFDS knew I had one because I declared it when booking. It is generally £15 each way but DFDS don't charge to France but charge £30 back to UK. There was someone on here recently that said they went out DFDS and used P & O back thereby saving £15 which offset the slighter dearer vehicle fare.
My experience is they hand us the scanner at check-in and check his "VIN" agrees with the Passport. We get the form and hanger indicating pet on board and the job's a good 'un.
No one has checked there aren't others on board whether 2 or 4 legged !!

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Eurotunnel have increased the charge for a Dog/Cat/Ferret from £15 to £16 each way - B*stards!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back