Booking singles on the channel tunnel

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Jac Sprat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

If we don't know the exact return date - is it best to get two unrelated singles or is it cheaper to get a return with an unspecified date?
    Doing the Dover to Calais tunnel with tesco vouchers

2. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Won't be any different price wise for chosen dates as singles or a return but from what I remember if using the Tesco vouchers you can either book a return or a single going out but you can't use them to book a single coming back. At least I think that's right, I'm sure someone will be along to confirm or prove me wrong(y)

Edited to Add - Found it myself here

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/mobile/faq/booking-with-tesco/

Can't book a single from Calais using the Tesco vouchers

I don't think you can book an unspecified return date, but you would be able to change any date that you do select.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Thanks that was my question
    Can I book an open return?

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

You can't book an open ended return so you will be better off just booking an outbound single and then booking the return later when you know the date.

As Ms Stroppy says though you can't book a single from Calais using Tesco vouchers.

You could book a return and then ring later and alter the return date but expect to pay the difference in the price you paid for the return trip and the price of your new date at the time you book. You would have to do this over the phone, it isn't possible to do it online.

5. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

tesco vouchers unable to change crossing without calling tesco direct - a bit of a pain, whereas booking direct can change through website at any time

6. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

You can't as such book an open return But, you can book specific dates and amend them.
    WARNING!!!
    If you amend, the price you will pay will the price at the time you amend, not the price it was when you originally booked. Prices go up invariably, the closer to the date of travel.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickNic

Surely you mean calling Eurotunnel? Tesco have nothing to do with the actual booking.

8. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

unfortunately no - tesco deal with it via a eurotunnel agent! If you book online you can change via website independently , if you book with tesco tunnel vouchers you have to call a tesco/eurotunnel dedicated line within opening hours to change - believe me I made that mistake last year!

9. NickNic

That has never been my experience. I have booked using Tesco vouchers many times and have never ever called a dedicated phone number. I have always called the main booking number listed on the Eurotunnel website. I've never been transferred to a different department. The person answering the phone has always taken the booking. That's even the number that Tesco tell you to call. It's not a dedicated one to them, just the main reservations line that everyone can use.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

All I can say is I had to go all around the houses last year to change my booking with tesco vouchers within uk working hours - not easy when abroad, same when I tried with camping and caravN club. I have decided not to use vouchers again and just go direct, changing online any time. To me, the cost saved is not worth the hassle. Tesco vouchers great if you are definite in dates and time. Problematic to say thie least if you need flexibility. Can only report on my experience and wish it was different.

11. chaser

chaser Funster

What we do in this instance , as we use the tunnel multiple times a year and don't have enough tokens for all trips we just use the tesco tokens for the outward trips and book normally back again about a week before we come back,

12. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

We used the tunnel in 2014 and paid with our Tesco vouchers. We booked a return ticket then simply telephoned Eurotunnel a couple of days before we wanted to come back and changed the date. If you are canny and use your vouchers for a mid to higher price ticket then you may well not have to pay any extra at all.

Eurotunnel lady was really helpful and polite (there is a specific number to ring when in France)

13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I don't now what you did but that is definitely not the case normally - we've done lots of trips via Eurotunnel using our Tesco vouchers and there's been umpteen times when I've needed to amend them and have always just rung the normal Eurotunnel reservations number and done it via them without a problem. Do you recall what number you rang?

I always ring: 01303 282061

• Like Like x 2
  14. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

Thank you that is reassuring, but it was about 2 years ago and haven't revisited the experience since as found it too problematic.
    Perhaps the advice of using the tokens for going out , single only which is pretty definite is good advice, whereas we always change our return
    All booked for this year, but feeling reassured will try again in 2017

15. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

NOTE...

Also check travel insurance.. Some now specify that a return booking must be made..
    Very small print, we only realised after was mentioned on here and we always used to book singles on the ferry.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

Going in the summer with Tesco and changed both coming and going dates without issue as the price was still the same.
    01303 282061

• Like Like x 1
  17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Doesn't that also apply to the vehicle insurance or recovery,
    people have posted before ? I've no idea as living here we don't have problems as a yearly green card.

18. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Sharing a frequent traveller scheme you can book a return (some insurance company demand it) and change crossings as much as you want subject to availability. I changed mine last year 6 times and no charge

19. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Not to do with vehicle but actual Medical / travel insurance..
    I think the matter got raised when we were in Morocco 2013 with the funsters and when i checked the small print on Staysure (who I had used) it did state a return booking must be made.. am now with LV and made a point of asking about that before taking their insurance..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Can you just turn up at say the tunnel or Ferry port and book there and then to return to uk ??