Booking in the UK is so complex (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I have to stick up for the CS/CL owners again. We have been here before. I am not greedy, we stick to one price for pitch with EHU with NO EXTRAS. One price for a pitch with no EHU with no extras. Bring extra cars, people, dogs, whatever ! Its what I believe in. We do have overheads especially a hefty insurance as we have a deep lake. We know we aren't ever going to be rich on a five van site but thats not why we do it.
Rant over, :swear: I thank you ! :Smile:

On the grounds that I would like to visit again, and I'd rather not get pushed into the aforementioned lake, I would just like to point out that Cwmcuttan's prices are nowhere near the charges I was talking about.

Grovel, grovel, grovel...creep, creep, creep... :winky:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
On the grounds that I would like to visit again, and I'd rather not get [HI]pushed into the aforementioned lake[/HI], I would just like to point out that Cwmcuttan's prices are nowhere near the charges I was talking about.

Grovel, grovel, grovel...creep, creep, creep... :winky:

I want to be 1st, no Butty Bach, makes you Numoro uno on my hit list...

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
To all that say " I won't use a service that does this or does that" Goodbye!

We don't want people with belligerent attitudes and closed minds. It is the final price that is surely the most important thing, not how it is made up.

If you have a fixed pitch price then the people without dogs, complain that they're paying the same as that family with a dog.

The people that don't have children don't want to pay the same per night as that family with all those children.

The people that don't put up an awning, complain that they have to pay the same as those that do

In essence a fair basic pitch price, and then charge for the additional things or people that will use the resources of the campsite.

It is how much you actually pay that is relevant in my opinion. Also all this nonsense about France, I would imagine that there is, as a high a proportion of sites that charge piecemeal on the Continent, as sites that allocate you a pitch and let you get on with it. Certainly all the sites that we looked at for our holiday in France this year and those we stayed on in Spain last year did.

We are a small site that came 1st runner up in the Best Motorhome site in the Alan Rogers guide out of 2800 sites visited in 13 Countries last year and we charge £14 a night and a flat rate of £1.00 for a dog.

This of course makes a grand total of £15 a night so if anyone say's I'll never darken your campsite as you charge for dogs a compromise: Phone and use this code "wontpayforMypal" and you will get a "special rate" of only £16 a night with no charge for a dog!:thumb:

Eddie

Iolo

i am happy as long as you know the price, the issue I have is the utter confusion of some webpages, I simply give up.
You say £14 fine by me, but when they start off with the pitch fee, then per person, then all the other stuff, I just give up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

We don't want people with belligerent attitudes and closed minds. It is the final price that is surely the most important thing, not how it is made up.

If you have a fixed pitch price then the people without dogs, complain that they're paying the same as that family with a dog.

The people that don't have children don't want to pay the same per night as that family with all those children.

The people that don't put up an awning, complain that they have to pay the same as those that do

In essence a fair basic pitch price, and then charge for the additional things or people that will use the resources of the campsite.

It is how much you actually pay that is relevant in my opinion. Also all this nonsense about France, I would imagine that there is, as a high a proportion of sites that charge piecemeal on the Continent, as sites that allocate you a pitch and let you get on with it. Certainly all the sites that we looked at for our holiday in France this year and those we stayed on in Spain last year did.

We are a small site that came 1st runner up in the Best Motorhome site in the Alan Rogers guide out of 2800 sites visited in 13 Countries last year and we charge £14 a night and a flat rate of £1.00 for a dog.

This of course makes a grand total of £15 a night so if anyone say's I'll never darken your campsite as you charge for dogs a compromise: Phone and use this code "wontpayforMypal" and you will get a "special rate" of only £16 a night with no charge for a dog!:thumb:

Eddie

You wont be getting the chance to be saying goodbye to me because we will, in your words never darken your doorstep. To charge anything for a dog is imo a cheap shot way of making money.

If this post is representative of your attitude to customer care and satisfaction i'm surprised your still in business.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

This of course makes a grand total of £15 a night so if anyone say's I'll never
darken your campsite as you charge for dogs a compromise: Phone and use this code "wontpayforMypal" and you will get a "special rate" of only £16 a night with no charge for a dog!:thumb:

Eddie

And a very nice site it is too Eddie:thumb:

Very nice people there too.

Customer care? - Absolutely first rate.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
happy to pay a fair price for facilities but NOT extra for my motorcycle trailer??:Sad: what possible overhead /cost can that be to the site owner?

Don't you understand. If you weren't to be charged for your motorbike trailer, other people would complain and say, "why am I paying the same as him when he has a motorbike trailer and I haven't".

You really must pay attention and keep up.
Jim
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
No worries Dave all inclusive.......I gotta bit 'o' waste land near leicester £50 a night dogs cats kids cars no probs do wot you like :thumb: :thumb: I also have one in the Bahamas same price just a bit of a wet drive getting there :ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I can kind of understand the different prices etc.

I am a solo traveller, fulltimer, no dog, no kids, no awning etc etc. I use very little electricity. I don't use the campsites wash room or any other facilities (except the bar if present)

Why should I pay the same price as the huge caravan next to me with a couple, 3 kids, 2 dogs, and a fridge and electric heater blasting in their awning?

I wish they would be more clear on how they present their pricing though.

I look to pay £10 or less per night for what is effectively a parking spot with a little leccy. I will go to £15 but it has to be an exceptional site.

I generally stop on CL's. I prefer the adult only ones and if possible no dog ones.

The dog charge I think is reasonable as not all dog owners pick up after themselves. They may have to deal with complaints (noise and running wild) and that is an extra hassle. And some provide dog walks. I know the CL I am on has to send someone down occasionally on pickup duty.... (They don't charge for a dog though)

Awning charges may be fair, as they do damage the grass and a pitch that has had an awning on it for a 2 week stretch may need to be left empty for a while for the grass to recover. Also quite a few awning users do tend to use extra leccy judging by the stuff I have seen being set up in awning over the last 3 years.

Extra for each kids and adult speaks for itself.

Extra for visitors I don't see to be honest.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
:thanks2::thanks2:
You wont be getting the chance to be saying goodbye to me because we will, in your words never darken your doorstep. To charge anything for a dog is imo a cheap shot way of making money.

If this post is representative of your attitude to customer care and satisfaction i'm surprised your still in business.

I know surprising isn't it? 22 years and all these awards! For looking after people who are ACTUALLY our customers!

I liken it to going into a nice resturant and asking for KFC and then arguing that the customer is always right!

Eddie

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well on the basis that not all dog owners are lovely people that clean up and keep em restrained and so forth - and then the site has to a) clean up b) deal with the complaints other campers make, then surely it is simply a case - where there IS a separate charge levied - of ALL dog owners having to pay regardless of whether they or their dogs are innocent or not?

After all when we all insure our vans, or other vehicles - we don't kick up a fuss about paying the excess charge of £45 to pay for all the uninsured drivers and the reason why we don't whinge is because evey single insurance company has to do it. And in our house that's an extra £270 annually that persons unknown piss up OUR flipping wall .....

But where there is an option we don't pay it. We don't normally choose sites with all singing all dancing facilities because they ARE dearer and we just don't use em.

Some camp sites charge for this that and the other. Some campsites always have since at least the 1960's. Knowing that - you have ALWAYS had to search and check for charges for this or charges for that in your campsite book or these days, the web.

It is entirely up to the individual if he or she wants to do the thing that will potentially bunk his price up whether it's caravan v. tent, kids, EHU or dogs. If you can't afford the on-costs, then don't have em in the first place. It's a very simple personal choice.

And if a campsite owner wants to ban or charge extra for EHU, kids, dogs, non-vegans, non-nudists or gobby wimmin born in West Bromwich - then that's their choice too!

Jenny

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
On a site last year I overheard someone complain about showers being 20p to use this was a nice site with clean facilities assuming two of you had a shower every day and used 5 tokens costing a pound a day extra this was still cheaper than most of the other sites in the area.( you probably needed two tokens for a good shower)

Some people just cannot see the big picture as this site did not charge extra for electric ,dogs,awnings,use of satellite connection to a dish as the reception area was poor ( I had no sat box so he lent me one at a charge of £5 a week)
You just will not please everyone but as Eddie says TOTAL PRICE is what counts at the end of the day.
Some sites because people are prepared to pay charge for everything they can vote with your wallet and if you ring up to book and they say oh thats extra for Trailer,awning,dogs,electric,showers,grass,hardstanding,ETC look at the total and if you think its a rip off tell them they are charging to much and do not go there

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I stayed in Woolacombe on a large site last weekend--- pubs ,pools, restaurants,supermarket ect ,all open this time of year.
It`s not my ideal type of site, but all in including leccy X2 kids and extra large hard standing -- £ 9.00 ! :thumb:
I recon they must make the money up on sales of other things on the site ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I do like places that charge separately for EHU as then I don't have it. It is probably advantageous if it is metered then those who use a lot are not being subsidised by those who use little. I can use a little or none but if its included I will use it for water heating etc to get my moneys worth.
I don't object to a reasonable charge for dogs, especially if some facilities are provided e.g. dog walk, poo bins or whatever. I wouldn't object to £1 a night but at £3+ I would go elsewhere if possible.
We all have to compromise sometimes on where we stay, we prefer sites without children because some are badly behaved (parents fault) but would not turn down a good one just for that reason.
What I think is important is that there should not be hidden charges, and some sites information seems designed to make it difficult to see what the charges are, and in my experience some of the French sites are the least clear, and because you pay on leaving, can sometimes get a surprise (occasionally a nice one :Smile:).

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I stayed in Woolacombe on a large site last weekend--- pubs ,pools, restaurants,supermarket ect ,all open this time of year.
It`s not my ideal type of site, but all in including leccy X2 kids and extra large hard standing -- £ 9.00 ! :thumb:
I recon they must make the money up on sales of other things on the site ?

With the exception of the pool, most of these facilities at least pay for themselves so I don't think they should increase the overnight fee.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

[HI]We are a small site that came 1st runner up[/HI] in the Best Motorhome site in the Alan Rogers guide out of 2800 sites visited in 13 Countries last year and [HI]we charge £14 a night[/HI] and a flat rate of £1.00 for a dog.

Eddie

1st runner up? Is that a posh/clever way of saying you came second? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you do me a fortnight for £12 a night I may be pursuaded to make a detour on my way down to the channel tunnel :winky: It's not too far out of my way. Would have to cover a bank holiday or school holiday as that is when I am prepared to go over my £10 limit to get a pitch :winky::ROFLMAO:

Just kidding. I may pop down your way as I have never done devon or cornwall.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hmm, looking at my calendar it may actually be the perfect time to visit cornwall etc.

Go from the bring and Buy meet to stratford. Then do Cornwall and Devon then follow the south coast which I also haven't done to the channel tunnel and onto France on my way to portugal for the winter.

Sounds like a plan ::bigsmile: Eddie, It's not a school holiday last week of June is it?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You still need to watch ACIS sites

Most French sites do charge for the unit and the people as separate items, which is good with just two of us, though I grumbled a bit when there were 5 of us. Mind you one of my boys used to have a shower six times a day if it was hot so got our moneys worth for him.

I like EHU charges to be separate, then I don't have it, but usually use ACSI where it is included so use it, even if its only for the fridge.

You still need to watch ACIS sites, we have come a cross a couple last year that wanted to charge extra for the dog.. we paid up on the way down, but when we came back we demanded a refund and used the ACIS book to show that one dog and a minimum of 6 amps was included in the rate.. But have had that one tried on a coupe of times re the dog.. OK if we get 10 amps or 16 amps we do pay the extra as we tend to use it for the RV a fair amount.

Bob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You still need to watch ACIS sites, we have come a cross a couple last year that wanted to charge extra for the dog.. we paid up on the way down, but when we came back we demanded a refund and used the ACIS book to show that one dog and a minimum of 6 amps was included in the rate.. But have had that one tried on a coupe of times re the dog.. OK if we get 10 amps or 16 amps we do pay the extra as we tend to use it for the RV a fair amount.

Bob
Just as well they dont charge for dogs by weight or you could be trading down for a Chihuahua.:winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its not really that hard for mh's/rv's. is more the tuggers that have difficulties.
Jim
:Smile:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hmm, looking at my calendar it may actually be the perfect time to visit cornwall etc.

Go from the bring and Buy meet to stratford. Then do Cornwall and Devon then follow the south coast which I also haven't done to the channel tunnel and onto France on my way to portugal for the winter.

Sounds like a plan ::bigsmile: Eddie, It's not a school holiday last week of June is it?

Alas I cannot help you there, as I am blessed that my youngest of four boys finally finished school two years ago:thumb: so we are no longer ruled by school schedules as to when we can and can't go anywhere.

Just the two dogs that rule our lives now as to which pubs and shops we can go into without hassle!

Cheers

Eddie

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
while we have no children to worry about either

while we have no children to worry about either, we do have Ezzie.. I have to think careful about time of year of travel and designation St Bernard's do not do well if it is over hot and you cannot just lock them up in the RV, even with the aircon on.. or leave her for long in the car while we do shopping.. so dogs can be an issue like children (are we allowed to lock them p now???) seriously we do tend to travel out of season.. cheaper and in france open empty roads. But the UK camp sites can be hard going at times. They all seem to want to (deleted) .. replaced with Rob you for every penny.

Bob:Angry:

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
while we have no children to worry about either, we do have Ezzie.. I have to think careful about time of year of travel and designation St Bernard's do not do well if it is over hot and you cannot just lock them up in the RV, even with the aircon on.. or leave her for long in the car while we do shopping.. so dogs can be an issue like children (are we allowed to lock them p now???) seriously we do tend to travel out of season.. cheaper and in france open empty roads. But the UK camp sites can be hard going at times. They all seem to want to screw you for every penny.

You cant say that Bob
Jim
:roflmto:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But the UK camp sites can be hard going at times. They all seem to want to screw you for every penny.

Well Bob, if I were a camp site owner .. I would be maximising the profit .. if I could raise prices and still fill pitches I would do so.. I would keep raising until the bookings were affected.. that's just good business practice.. no one goes into business to run a charity .. nor is it a hobby ..

For example.. a hair dresser charges say £18 for a cut and blow dry .. why ? Because that is the max they can charge due to competition, without losing business. .. If they could get away with charging £25 .. they would do so .. it's called capitalism.

Lawyers do the same .. they charge as much as the market affords .. no more, no less, so why should camp site proprietors be different ?

Call me greedy , call me whatever, you vote with your wheels .. but no more greedy than a banker .. eh .. :winky:

Check the prices of commercial sites in Spain or France, compare like for like with the UK and you will find they are much of a muchness.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have found that some of the big sites cut back on things they should not EG, contract cleaners who are the cheapest and only once a day this is not enough on a big site in the busy times ie. school holidays, that is one of the reasons we do not go on them any more,one site we use to use when family owned was cleaned by someone ALL DAY it was a full time job to clean all the toilets and showers,when taken over by the tuggers club they doubled the number of pitches increased the prices and had a part time cleaner who cleaned ONCE a day
:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back