Booking ferry as motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Zoltan Gaz66, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Zoltan Gaz66

Zoltan Gaz66 Read Only Funster

As you have seen, my motorhome is different

[​IMG][​IMG]

Am I going to get grief at Dover having booked it on as a motorhome? Ive declared the dimensions and it has all the necessary motorhome equipment.

Are they that fussy? It is booked on Sea France

2. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

How will they dare argue when they see that? :Laughing:

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I should imagine if it is fitted out inside as a motorhome.... It` would be classed as a motorhome, and you wont have any problems. :thumb:

4. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

oh dear,,, my friend has got 4 ,,, yes 4 of these and many others,,he collects them and drives them back from polland,,paul has to pay commerciall rates on the ferry because of the chassis ,,lets see how you get on :thumb::thumb:

5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

But surely a lot of large motorhomes and RV`s are built on commercial chassis..

I suppose to be on the safe side perhaps would be worth a call to the ferry company..

But there again they are likely to say yes,, it`s a commercial vehicle. £££££

But if you just turn up will they be bothered ? :RollEyes:

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If it's registered as a Motorhome it shouldn't be an issue .. have your V5 handy.

You may however consider a new livery before venturing outside the EU.

We met a Swiss couple in Morocco who had a converted army truck and after becoming friendly I asked why it had such a poor paint job .. it was painted in a garish BLUE and looked hand painted.

Apparently they had been refused entry as it was NATO green.. so they had hand painted at the border with tin of Dulux and a roller ... :Doh:

7. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Stand your ground. It's a motorhome.

Craig

8. DBSilverfox

DBSilverfox Read Only Funster

I would think if the V5 says motorhome that is what it is. On the subject of chassis intentions though, I had a friend when i worked on the buses who had been driving chassis from finished chassis plant to the plant where they added the bodies.

some of the chassis were for buses, and some for trucks - but exactly the same chassis without a body. He was only allowed to drive the ones destined to be buses on his PSV licence! This is a really naked chassis with a plywood seat stuck in front of the steering wheel and no bodywork whatsoever so no difference at all. Amazing...

David

9. Zoltan Gaz66

Yes, some Aussies on the Russian Truck forum had to modify their paint job to get into Syria from Turkey, same deal, spraycans at the border

10. Zoltan Gaz66

I may have problems with that option: V5 says 'Truck' 'Historic vehicle'

Better brush up on my persuasiveness and diplomacy It will be dark on the way out :BigGrin:

11. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

If its MoTd is as a class 4 car/Motor home you may be running fowl of the law and deemed not to have an MoT even if you have a current certificate
    A quick trip to DVLA should see it re registerd correctly as a Private heavy goods historic truck/motorhome
    Geo

12. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

They'd be blind if they didnt notice it was, er er er a motorhome :Eek!:

13. werntonb

werntonb Read Only Funster

Yeah, it is far from this one,

http://forums.dragcoverage.com/showthread.php?p=377625

14. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have noticed on the SeaFrance website, that it says if your vehicle has a GVW of more than 3.5 tonnes, you cannot book via the consumer site, but have to use the commercial site - which is in French, and costs more. I have always ignored this on the presumption that it is for lorries and proceeded with the normal motorhome booking. I have never had a problem and no-one has ever looked at the weight plate. However, turning up in an ex-army truck might raise their suspicions!

Good luck.

Philip

15. JJ

JJ Funster

In my experience (with P&O before the glorious, non vomit inducing tunnel was built) the people who actually get to see the "motorhome" (ie the lads and lasses doing the loading onto the ship) don't know or care how much you paid for your crossing...

...all my self build motorhomes (non ever finished) including a six ton Iveco went onboard as a camper van and whenever asked (rarely) if it was over six metres I would say (truthfully) I wasn't sure how long six metres was as I wasn't taught "foreign" in school! This reply would be met with agreement and understanding from the older people and sadness and pity from the young ones and onboard I went...:Wink:

Using your aging appearance and acting like a doddery old bloke can help you get away with murder! Of course when it comes to "acting" I use the method system and have actually started living fulltime as a doddery old bloke...

Let us know how it went please...

JJ