Booking ferries without a vehicle registration number? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It always pays to book ferries as early as you can - lower prices, better availability.

But what if you're changing vehicles before the trip and don't yet know what the next vehicle's registration number is?

Having queried this today with P&O and DFDS, both companies will allow you to enter gobbledygook in the Registration Number box on their booking webpages, provided that you amend the details in sufficient time for their boarding records to be up to date when you arrive at the port.

There is no extra charge for this as long as the vehicle class and dimensions remain the same.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It always pays to book ferries as early as you can - lower prices, better availability.

But what if you're changing vehicles before the trip and don't yet know what the next vehicle's registration number is?

Having queried this today with P&O and DFDS, both companies will allow you to enter gobbledygook in the Registration Number box on their booking webpages, provided that you amend the details in sufficient time for their boarding records to be up to date when you arrive at the port.

There is no extra charge for this as long as the vehicle class and dimensions remain the same.
Are there other words we can use? I don't think that will fit the box on the form.:)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
For those of a certain age who can remember when football teams only had 11 players at the kick off (no subs) and the manager wasn't sure if a player would be fit, the programme would carry the name A.N.Other in his position. Could try that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
For those of a certain age who can remember when football teams only had 11 players at the kick off (no subs) and the manager wasn't sure if a player would be fit, the programme would carry the name A.N.Other in his position. Could try that.

Put any no in,,,it won't matter,,

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As a follow up, with DFDS I notice that <=7m length is critical for calculating the cost. When I inadvertently selected above 7m my quote for a one way crossing increased by £50.

In theory that could be around an extra £100 per return journey just for adding a bike rack to a 7m MH. Glad we opted for a large boot :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
As a follow up, with DFDS I notice that <=7m length is critical for calculating the cost. When I inadvertently selected above 7m my quote for a one way crossing increased by £50.

In theory that could be around an extra £100 per return journey just for adding a bike rack to a 7m MH. Glad we opted for a large boot :)

On Brittany you just declare cycle rack and your length without it..They then charge for that length plus £18 for cycle rack,,BUSBY,,

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Good job I never tell them about our cycle rack then, (and they've never quibbled)

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Why not just give them your current vehicle's registration and update to the new one when available?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
No problem on the ferries/tunnel, however don't pay your Dartford toll until you have the correct reg. I paid mine (single payment) and then we changed the van and had to pay again as there is no system for changing the reg number.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Both times we have imported booked DFDS without putting a reg number in. No problems. I think i put " unknown" on the last one. Last time was 2014 Dunkirk didn't have number plate recognition cameras.
Will find out if it's a problem now in March.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Why not just give them your current vehicle's registration and update to the new one when available?

We're no longer its legal owner, and I didn't know if they did some sort of security checks based on the registration numbers, which is why I queried it. Apparently they don't at the booking stage, but I didn't want to complicate things by using someone else's registration number. I was told TBC or TBA was sufficient.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Interesting to note , my paperwork for my stargazer states 6m long but when I measure it its on fact 6.1 m ... Soo. Ring bf and explain that I had booked a crossing stating 6m but in fact wad 6.1 m .told not to worry as their info on my registration number was 5.95 m . .she said I would have no issues at port .. Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back