Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
began March 2009
We are new to motorhoming. We spent years looking at motorhome magazines trying to decide what make/model to go for. The choice was bewildering. Then some friends bought a Hymer. It is one of the brown ones, A class. We were invited onboard and we were just so impressed with the visibility you get in the cab area. It was bright and beautifully put together. That was the start of our quest to find the Hymer to suit us. We ummed and aahd over layouts. Should we get one with a garage? How many seat belts available? In the end we had our hearts set on the Hymer B544.

We live in Brittany, so decided we'd buy a LHD version, so it would be correct for driving over here, and more easily re-registered in France. We came over to UK with a shortlist of 5 to see in various parts of UK. After viewing 3 of them, we went back to the first one we viewed. It is a 1998 Hymer B544. Beautiful condition and had only done 66000km.

We collected it on my birthday!!! We just love it!

Our first night onboard was very comfortable. We tried hard to remember all the instructions, and what each switch was for. But could we figure out how to flush the toilet!!!!! We kept pressing a little button, and the loo kept filling up. By morning it was full. We were in a Caravan club site in Cornwall. I said to Roy 'You'll have to ask one of the other campers'. We both felt rather silly and embarassed, that here we were in this posh motorhome, and didn't even know how to flust toilet. We would have to wait till 9am, when the Motorhome dealership opened to ask the salesman.

We next got the manual out. It was all in German, but I figured there could be photos that we could look at. In the meantime we were considering how we could leave the site without the contents of the loo going everywhere. I suggested we wrap the loo in a bin bag. So with this done, the german instruction manual gave up its secret. A little black lever hidden at the BACK, behind the loo! WHAT A RELIEF!!!

We could now leve the site, heads held high! Would motorhoming continue to be this stressful? No, it has given us emense pleasure so far, and we are looking forward to discovering France and beyond.

Lots of Motorhoming FUN to look forward to!

Cheers, Louise and Roy

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
WELCOME to the fun lostinfrance:winky::winky:

Glad you have found us
Don't worry we all can tell stories, we would rather forget, its part of the fun. :Blush:Remember every one has the right to be stupid some just abuse the privilage

Best of luck

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Allo, Allo,

Where abouts in Brittany is home?

I'm also a local near Lorient.

Cater_Racer

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Louise and Roy , we cant wait to cross the channel again, love it. Pity you got bogged down on your first trip :ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Lostinfrance

Have you been in france for a long time?

Would be nice from you to tell us about your experience of moving to France. A few funsters would like to give it a go and i'm sure they'd like to hear about the way you coped with it!

Did you learn a bit of french or do you already speak it fluently?
What do you find difficult in the everyday life?

Do you have a house or are you fulltiming?

Allez ... racontez nous tout!!!

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
Just come back from a few days in the Morbihan area, Malestroit and Loyat. We are in the Sud Charente close to the border with the Dordogne and have lived here since December 2000.

OP
OP
lostinfrance

lostinfrance

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
began March 2009
Well, we came to France 7 years ago. Purely to be near to mum, who was already living here.

I get by fine with the French language as I did it in school, and have found it very enjoyable, studying and improving my language skills. Keeps the little grey cells working! Roy has me, so his French is limited to ordering a coffee! If I wasn't here, then I'm sure he would make more effort, well, he'd have to really!

We love living here, the tranquility, the beauty of the place. We are painters and get so much inspiration from the landscape.

We weren't really aware of motorhoming until we came to France to live. It's a national pastime here. Free parking at most towns/villages. You can stay 24 or 48 hours for free. Loads of supermarkets have designated overnight motorhome parking.

Roy and I stll earn our living in the UK, frequent trips home (we're graphic designers/illustrators). I have a really good friend who came over here to live, and work was just too difficult to find, or not very well paid. The whole family had to give it all up and go back to UK. So unless you have the means to survive, it can be very difficult and should be given a lot of thought.

Roy and I are very new to motorhoming, so have no experience of being on the road for long periods. We are just looking forward to discovering more of this beautiful country. The roads are very quiet and motorhomers are made so welcome. It's nice to wake up in a little French town, walk to the Boulangerie and buy your croissants and take them back to the motorhome to have with a nice cup of coffee.

I think if you have a motorhome, then it's a fabulous place to visit. If you have retired and have the time to devote to travelling then I'd recommend it.

Happy motorhoming

Louise and Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back