Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
With out longest trip wthout ehu fast approaching I was wondering what the best thing is to do with the water boiler in the van. When running on gas do you keep the boiler on 24/7 or only switch it on when you know you're gonna need it?
Any idea how much gas they use as an average?
Cheers all :thumb:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
In most vans the water heater should not draw much from the battery so your choice is keep it on or drain down the boiler every night in case it freezes.
Mine is on all the time (on hookup in drive).
When the van is not in use we get weeks from a gas bottle. ie ,so long we have never counted it!

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I personally when not on EHU leave the boiler on, it has two temp. settings as both are thermostat controlled, tend to set at lowest for most of the time, and raise if I know we will be using the shower less time to reheat if two using.

Don't know on gas usage, but does not seem too heavy

Have a good trip.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
according to truma/carver the boiler should loose approx 3 deg per hour providing no hot water is drawn.

if the water is up to temp, around 65deg, then after a 10hr night it should still be around 35deg...well above freezing.

it wont take long to regain the 30deg lost when its turned back on in the morning.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
according to truma/carver the boiler should loose approx 3 deg per hour providing no hot water is drawn.
Is that in Spain at ambient 30deg or North of Scotland at minus 5deg ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Is that in Spain at ambient 30deg or North of Scotland at minus 5deg ?

Thats avery good question just the figures need chaanging for this time of year

Is that in Spain at ambient 5 deg or North of Scotland at minus 30 deg ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
North of Scotland might well be 5 degrees - right now the snow has gone, the skies are blue and the sun is shining.

Back to the point, my old boiler keeps me warm at night after many years, but please keep speculation about regular servicing to yourselves, and I promise to kill anyone who repeats this.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I know this aint proper science like but when away sur le continent in winter a gas bottle lasts me 2 weeks.

It lasts 2 weeks if I leave the hot water on and if I just put it on when required.

So I leave it on.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back