Body Type on V5 (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have recently become the owners of a pre-owned 2010 Vantage Cub PVC on the Fiat MWB Chassis.
The V5 shows the Body Type as a Panel Van. All our previous Motorhomes have had the Body Type as Motor Caravan on the V5. I am debating whether I need to get the Body Type changed on the V5. All the info I can see relates to changes I have made to the Van (in this case non).
The only issues I have had so far is a) Saga wouldnt carry on insuring me with the new purchase as they dont have the Vanatage Cub in their drop down menu's so can only go on the panel van and wanted to know loads of info which I dont have. b) Dartford Crossing want to charge me an extra pound per crossing (I rarely use it and when I do a pound each way isnt that much)
Also the Speed Limits are lower but I am used to that as the Bessacarr we previously owned was 4250kg

So.......do I really need to get the V5 changed (neither of the previous owners saw the need) and am I breaking the Law if I leave it as it is?
I have asked Vantage for details of the conversion - approval numbers etc this week.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally registered as a panel van when the conversion has been built on an already registered van, a few of the smaller converters do this. No real need to change it fairly easy to do you need to provide DVLA with evidence (send them photos) that meets their criteria for a motor caravan info is on the DVLA site.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You might wish you had bothered when Insurer offers white van man pay out for total loss:Eeek:
Dvla are an arse when it comes to the blatantly obvious

This is our New "BOX VAN"

20160531_171227.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Change insurers.....

Changing the body type won't alter the fact it isn't in their list of recognised motorhome makes and converters.

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Update - took photos of inside and outside of van and got a letter from Vantage to say they converted from new and sent off to DVLA and now have the V5 with Motor Caravan on it. (Also found some more storage when looking for the water/waste tanks) Happy Days

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
They must have changed their procedures as I've just got the V5C through for our new Vantage Sol that we're picking up next week. It's recorded as a motor caravan and taxed PLG so all is good. If that is a result of your enquiry Mr C then thank you!

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Update - took photos of inside and outside of van and got a letter from Vantage to say they converted from new and sent off to DVLA and now have the V5 with Motor Caravan on it. (Also found some more storage when looking for the water/waste tanks) Happy Days
Just a query, how many belted seats are in the vehicle and how many are stated on the v5 please it may help us in the future.

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Hi @Deneb - maybe they just missed ours back in 2010

Hi @Ranger - it has two (driver and passenger) and its the same on the V5

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thank you for that we are currently having one built with four belted passenger seats so was wondering how DVLA reacted.
I would think as long as the internal pictures show the seats with belts (I would take a pic of the subframe as well if it is visible) and you make the change on the V5C when you send it in you should be ok. Having said that I am not an expert in the matter as this is the only time I have done this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back