Boating campsites?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ennboat, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ennboat

ennboat Read Only Funster

Hi All,
    I am constantly on the search for campsites that are on the banks of suitable rivers or lakes for boating/sailing with our own small dinghy. The ideal is to have the camper pitched next to the waters edge with my boat tied up within sight!

We explored Scotland last year and stayed on several loch side sites and know of the Derwent Water site in Keswick but would love to find a site more South.
    Is their any sites on the banks of the Norfolk Broads anyone knows of.

I would also love to hear from anyone who has taken a boat to France and the legal requirements for this? I have heard several rumours about proof of vat payed, ownership papers etc. but don't have any of this as it is only a small Scow dinghy bought second hand privately.
    Any information gratefully received.:thumb:
    Regards to all,
    Enn.

2. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

3. ArenqueRojo

ArenqueRojo Read Only Funster

We carry a Portabote. Generally there are charges for launching but then they see the size of the boat and waive the fees.
    A lot of the German and Austrian lakes ban anything with a motor other than electric.
    Again, the French don't bother about dinghies. It is the cruisers they are interested in - and many of them are used as floating caravans that never leave the harbour...
    Happy boating
    Patrick

4. gwnking

gwnking Read Only Funster

5. ennboat

ennboat Read Only Funster

Thanks.

Many thanks - some interesting links to explore.

6. madbluemad

madbluemad

Wirral Country Park Caravan Club Campsite.

This site is on the very edge of the Dee Estuary and access to the beach and boat launch Jetty is at the end of a road that runs right through the campsite. The sailing is on the River Dee.

I'm not sure what licence you would need to launch a boat but I'm sure that the campsite would tell you.

There is a lot to do within the area however the site is in a hilly area and again I'm not sure about public transport down to the site. Its worth a look.

Jim
    :Smile:

7. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

Hi

We also have an inflatble canoe and are always on the look for somehwere near to the waters edge.

We did park in france near the river and sailed up to the nearest pub, but then it rained on the way back.

Rutland Waters in Leicestershire have a lovely lake which is worth checking out, not sure if just for windsurfers and sail boats.

Love it down Dorset, our son lives in Blandford forum.

8. madbluemad

madbluemad

That inflatable canoe sounds like good idea.
    Jim
    :Smile:

9. ips

ips Read Only Funster

"Hill of oaks" caravan site just south of bowness directly on the shore of lake windermere.
    :thumb:

10. gwnking

gwnking Read Only Funster

Rutland Watersports -Whitwell Tel 01780 460 154. Not sure if they have a website but you can launch, hire canoes etc.

Rutland Sailing Club is where we go a lot to sail in competitions and its a lovely area. There is a site just by the club but they have no facilities but I would recommend Rutland Caravan club site