Bluetooth/handsfree not working (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Our motorhome has bluetooth connectivity and although it is set up for my phone, I can hear the other person through the phone (not speakers) but they cannot hear me at all. My nephew, who is a total electronics geek, spent some time last weekend trying to get it to work. He came to the conclusion that the microphone, which is fitted to the top of the dashboard, is not connected to the radio. Does anyone know how to check this? I presume the radio will have to come out. It is a Pioneer where the front comes off.

Also, if we do have to take it out, or have it taken out, how easy is it to connect a DAB aerial? Pilote, in their infinite wisdom, choose to install DAB radios but not a DAB aerial :rolleyes:.

I suppose we really should contact Hayes about it and find out whether this would be covered under warranty, or if they could authorise someone else to deal with it, but it seems such a minor thing to bother them with.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
You might like to look in your phone settings and see how your phone is connected i can only advise for Android as i don't have an iphone but if you look at bluetooth settings then paired devices you should see your Pioneer unit and along side it should be a little gear wheel icon tap on that and check that it is showing as connected for phone audio (the box should be ticked) if you want to play music from your phone through your stereo also ensure media audio is ticked.
HTH

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
It is paired and connected. I can play music through it, just not use the phone or, rather, it will connect but cannot hear anything!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It is paired and connected. I can play music through it, just not use the phone or, rather, it will connect but cannot hear anything!
Forgive me if you've already answered, is this an iPhone, or android?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As it is under guarantee I'd take it back. If you fiddle with it & it isn't an unplugged aerial but something in the actual unit, they might not be interested in replacing the unit if it has been played about with by someone else.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Is it the same when you make a call and answer an incoming call?

Do you make calls and answer incoming calls with the vehicle controls only?

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
As it is under guarantee I'd take it back. If you fiddle with it & it isn't an unplugged aerial but something in the actual unit, they might not be interested in replacing the unit if it has been played about with by someone else.

It was factory fitted by Pilote during manufacture.

Is it the same when you make a call and answer an incoming call?

Do you make calls and answer incoming calls with the vehicle controls only?

Haven't managed to make a call via bluetooth yet. If I want to make a call I have to disconnect the front of the radio (it is one of those "face off" ones) or I cannot hear anything. There are no vehicle controls if by that you mean those on the steering wheel. I have that in my car and have never had any problems with thst system.

I don't want to have to go all the way back to Walsall to the dealer just for this.

JimC

Free Member
Dec 16, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650C
Exp
How did you resolve the phone hands-free microphone and DAB aerial problems? We collected our new Pilote from Hayes on Thursday and have both these problems with it.

We checked that my iPhone paired on Bluetooth during Hayes run-through and checked as far as an outgoing call to my wife Carol sitting next to me, which she declined to avoid the expected feedback howl if she’d answered. The volume of the ringing sound was fine on the speakers. After completing everything at Hayes we set off in convoy to Taunton to get an alarm installed — half way Carol phoned me, the radio muted but I couldn’t hear her; she hung up and called again; I could hear something faintly so I pressed volume up until I could hear her, but she clearly couldn’t hear me. Does the Pioneer audio system have different default volumes for outgoing and incoming calls? Does it default to microphone muted (but no obvious microphone mute icon), or is the microphone not connected? I couldn’t even see how to switch it off on Thursday evening! Had to read its manual to find “Disp”!

As to DAB, it doesn’t work and we were told the same thing about needing a DAB aerial. However, it seems to me that a vehicle sold as having DAB should have all the components needed to make DAB work.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I don't have a Pioneer but some bluetooth car stereo's need an external mic plugged in to the back of the unit to work, my current one (JVC) needs this, my old one (Blaupunkt) did not, both of mine needed the volume turned up to a reasonable level for incoming calls however once set they both remembered the volume setting so when a call came in it was always at the same volume irrespective of the music level. Hopefully someone with a Pioneer will be along in a minute, it might help if you could post the model number.

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
My pioneer has a separate microphone.

JimC

Free Member
Dec 16, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650C
Exp
As Diggerdi had the same problems on the almost identical motorhome from the same dealer eight months ago, I expect she will have it resolved by now and will be able to tell us the solutions.

The Pioneer manual covers AVH-X5800DAB, AVH-X3800DAB and AVH-X2800BT so it will be one of those (I’m guessing one of the first two) but don’t know how to tell which! It has a separate microphone.

The problem can only be one of (in order of most probable first):
1. A non-obvious Mute function which unhelpfully defaults to Mute;
2. Microphone unplugged;
3. Microphone faulty;
4. Pioneer faulty.

PS How do I delete my previous half-written submission posted accidentally?

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
@JimC, We took it back to Hayes and four of them all tried to connect their phones and couldn't, so they changed the radio and it as worked fine ever since. Admittedly, we don't like the radio, find the manual impossible to understand and the display is virtually unreadable (dull), so we may consider changing it sometime in the future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back