Blue badge (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
That's not the same as what I've asked ... you were going to collect him and he therefore needed to have the vehicle in a disabled bay ready for him, that's totally how it's meant to be. However, if you went on an errand for him, eg to pick up a prescription, without him being in the car and then went back home again ... would you use the BB?

Ok. Think our posts crossed.

If Steve was not in the car I cannot and would not use the Blue Badge.

If Steve was in the car but the errand was for me I cannot and would not use the Blud Badge

If Steve was in the car and the errand was for him HE can use the Blue Badge whilst I do the errand.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Where in the rules does it say this?
I think there is a fine line where coomon sense should prevail between a quick run up stairs versus parking up and going shopping.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It's his badge. I don't understand what you are querying.
Its his badge....agreed.:)
It is for the use of him to get in and out of the vehicle. Not for your convienence to save you a walk.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Where in the rules does it say this?
I think there is a fine line where coomon sense should prevail between a quick run up stairs versus parking up and going shopping.
Think this ground has been covered previously. Agree totally.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes of course they can. Or they can use a bay if they want too... Do you mind if I ask why you seem to have a problem with how disabled people use thier badges ? By that I mean in a reasonable and fair way ?
Ok Charlie. The OP asked about the blue badge so they should get to know the facts not how people choose to interprate them.

If you had to wait half an hr driving round in circles while someone disabled who had no intention of getting out their vehicle was sitting waiting in a disabled space while their other half done the shopping. Would you see that as fair play?

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Its his badge....agreed.:)
It is for the use of him to get in and out of the vehicle. Not for your convienence to save you a walk.

And where does it say the holder has to exit the vehicle?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Ok Charlie. The OP asked about the blue badge so they should get to know the facts not how people choose to interprate them.

If you had to wait half an hr driving round in circles while someone disabled who had no intention of getting out their vehicle was sitting waiting in a disabled space while their other half done the shopping. Would you see that as fair play?

Before I reply may I ask if you are disabled ?

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
You do realise disabled children get Blue Badges. Am sure their parents don't always get them out of the vehicle when they go shopping.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I can see Im wasting my breath here. The rules are no different.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
  • badge holders should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while the badge holder sits in the car. Although it is not illegal for a badge holder, or a non-disabled person waiting for the badge holder to return, to remain in the vehicle while the blue badge is displayed, consideration should be given to using a car park wherever possible
Copied from the govt site on Blue Badge rules and regs. So it is acceptable. As argued.m

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Before I reply may I ask if you are disabled ?
I know you weren't asking me Charlie but that has absolutely nothing at all to do with the 'rules' of the BB scheme which is what we are discussing not the personal circumstances of funsters.

Having, or not having, the disabled person in the car is a 'red herring' ... the badge is meant to benefit them only with their OWN MOBILITY, no one else ... it is NOT meant to be used to allow anyone running an errand for them to park where a BB holder can. There is no difference as to whether the errand is for the disabled person or not ... an able bodied person is not allowed to use the BB parking 'benefit'.

I get annoyed at people who use the BB to 'run errands', mainly those us 'abuse' disabled parking bays by parking in them (not suggesting anyone here does!), leaving the disabled person in the car and thinking that this means it is allowed ... it's not ... by default this applies to the use of the BB benefit for parking on double yellow lines too.

I have seen BB holders (single vehicle occupants) trying in vain to find parking in car parks and on double yellow lines but they can't because there are people 'sitting' in the cars that are there.

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
In differing circumstances both viewpoints can be held true so the 2 camps are right in their own way.Maybe time to move on before it gets more personal and someone gets sanctioned!:D

@Judge Mental or anyone concerned about PIP applications or the appeal process there is a very helpful website
http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

Website is undergoing some work at present but it is a mine of useful information

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I know you weren't asking me Charlie but that has absolutely nothing at all to do with the 'rules' of the BB scheme which is what we are discussing not the personal circumstances of funsters.

Having, or not having, the disabled person in the car is a 'red herring' ... the badge is meant to benefit them only with their OWN MOBILITY, no one else ... it is NOT meant to be used to allow anyone running an errand for them to park where a BB holder can. There is no difference as to whether the errand is for the disabled person or not ... an able bodied person is not allowed to use the BB parking 'benefit'.

I get annoyed at people who use the BB to 'run errands', mainly those us 'abuse' disabled parking bays by parking in them (not suggesting anyone here does!), leaving the disabled person in the car and thinking that this means it is allowed ... it's not ... by default this applies to the use of the BB benefit for parking on double yellow lines too.

I have seen BB holders (single vehicle occupants) trying in vain to find parking in car parks and on double yellow lines but they can't because there are people 'sitting' in the cars that are there.

• badge holders should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while the badge holder sits in the car. Although it is not illegal for a badge holder, or a non-disabled person waiting for the badge holder to return, to remain in the vehicle while the blue badge is displayed, consideration should be given to using a car park wherever possible

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I give up! I'm going to have a look at the 'weight of paint' thread and watch some dry ... I'll probably have more fun! :rolleyes:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
But if it wasn't for the disabled person you wouldn't be doing it in the first place. You are only doing it because of them. It is benefitting them. And therefore the blue badge can be used. You may not like it, but it is acceptable.

In theory you are right but you can see from another point that I've just had to park down the road and risk being blocked in or getting drenched in the rain, sleet and snow in my wheelchair and then see you running to your vehicle and driving off from the only available disabled bay...

What would I be thinking then..?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
No onehas said it was illegal. Its just wrong to abuse the badge privelege.

Maybe one day you will find yourself needing the space and then you will see how frustrating it can be.
Im wasting no more time on this thread. Bridget is right
and theres a whole forum of other threads to read.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So ... you don't give any consideration then to parking somewhere else and leaving the place free for a BB holder to use instead? I am not for one minute undermining the time and commitment it takes to care for someone but it therefore appears it's more down to 'convenience' for you ...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Im wasting no more time on this thread. Bridget is right and theres a whole forum of other threads to read.
... who's Bridget? o_O

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
In differing circumstances both viewpoints can be held true so the 2 camps are right in their own way.Maybe time to move on before it gets more personal and someone gets sanctioned!:D

@Judge Mental or anyone concerned about PIP applications or the appeal process there is a very helpful website
http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

Website is undergoing some work at present but it is a mine of useful information
Think you are right Bridget ,it may well start to get personal..which is a shame because it has been an interesting thread so far but is starting to get a little heated ..Roy

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I dont see why thats relevant @Charlie

Your post said would I be happy driving round for half an hour while someone was sitting in a car in s disabled bay.

I wondered if that situation affected you directly. If it does I understand your point. If not then I don't .

I really do think this is splitting hairs . My understanding is as long as the badge holder is present there is no problem and no abuse of the system.

Why can that person just go along for the trip as I've posted above. They can if they want to and are doing nothing that I can see that would give offence.

The real abusers are those that park in disabled bays with no badges or entitlements whatsoever.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
No onehas said it was illegal. Its just wrong to abuse the badge privelege.

Maybe one day you will find yourself needing the space and then you will see how frustrating it can be.
Im wasting no more time on this thread. Bridget is right
and theres a whole forum of other threads to read.

Oh we know only to well Irnbru. We see it every day. We see full disabled bays and people walking for hours round certain shops. Can't walk more then 10 yards from the car to a door, but can walk miles round a shop. And we have waited for spaces. Steve is wheelchair bound. Either I or the wheelchair are his legs. He is really disabled with mobility issues. Rest assured we only use disabled spaces when he has to get out of the vehicle. It's called consideration. It's something we both try to practice. And I agree that because you can, doesn't mean you should, but sometimes, just sometimes, because you can. You do.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Ooh what a can of worms I've opened up. I agree the badge should only be used if the BB owner is exiting or coming to the vehicle. In my mind my wife can't walk and if I needed a disabled bay and you were parked in it as you were running an errand for the BB owner who is sat in the car is that fair ?
I can't park, my wife can't get out of the vehicle as a perfectly able person has vacated the car to do an errand. A perfectly able person who u could park 100 metres away to do said errand in a normal parking bay .

She too claims absolutely nothing , maybe she is entitled to but we don't .She is in immense pain most of the time and believe me like someone else said we'd give up all our goods if she could walk normally again.....

I really just wanted to know any other details like I wasn't aware of the possible reduced pricing on toll roads

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Your post said would I be happy driving round for half an hour while someone was sitting in a car in s disabled bay.

I wondered if that situation affected you directly. If it does I understand your point. If not then I don't .
Why is that?

Why can that person just go along for the trip as I've posted above. They can if they want to and are doing nothing that I can see that would give offence.
Not if they don't take up the parking that a disabled person who WILL be getting in/out of the vehicle will need.

The real abusers are those that park in disabled bays with no badges or entitlements whatsoever.
Totally and utterly agree and I have tackled people before today about it!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
In theory you are right but you can see from another point that I've just had to park down the road and risk being blocked in or getting drenched in the rain, sleet and snow in my wheelchair and then see you running to your vehicle and driving off from the only available disabled bay...

B*****d, probably.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002

Garry I don't think the message is getting through,I know your disablement and would be gutted if I took a disable space stopping someone in a wheelchair getting close to where they need to be.. I may be a blue badge holder but for most of the time I can walk ten or twenty yards or so before being crackered,,however I personally very seldom park in a disabled bay ,but the amount of able bodied persons that do to get shopping for the badge holder who is still in the car beggars belief . Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back