Blue badge (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Don't follow to be honest. I just asked when applying for PIP and they said as I had applied I can now apply for blue badge? :(
Judge. If you get PIP and it is very very hard to get you will more or less automatically be granted a blue badge.

It is entirely possible to apply for and get a badge without any form of monetary benifit as said above.

I find it very insulting when people point the finger when assuming every disabled person is in the reciept of monetary benifits.

I think many also forget pretty much every one of us has had a benifit at some point. For example. Everyone who has had children. Family allowance as it was once called ? Benifit that is . Pensions anyone ? Benifit that is. The list goes on...

I have worked hard all my life and other than family allowance our household has recieved nothing. But I feel those that qualify and qualify on genuine grounds should and must be able to do so without the criticism and judgement of others ..

As for the VED if you qualify at a certain level you are exempt from VED. Whether you drive a Range Rover that costs 500 quid in VED or a Smart you don't pay . You will get no credit for being in a low or zero rated VED band.

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks very much @Charlie
I worked part time as a volunteer in a CAB for a while. Very stressfull which is why I no longer do it.
These things change and are changing as we speak. Most advisors at the government institutions that deal with these things have not a clue what they are doing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Never heard of having to register ones car as a disabled when one has a Blue Badge apart from TFL London which can exempt two cars from congestion tax and allows free parking as per regulations.
TFL staff are excellent and reply very quickly to queries, a lot of which can be resolved on their website

Only exeption is Westminster which if one cannot get in a marked disabled bay and one uses a standard parking metered bay, you pay for 5 minutes and get an hour but you must display the ticket and Blue Badge as normal.

I have found parking wardens most helpfull and pleasant if asked and some have even found me a parking spot.

I really cannot understand a lot of the comments made on this post by people without a Badge, I would much rather have the full use of my lungs than a Badge any day and I am sure all other badge holders would feel the same as me.

Peter

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Never heard of having to register ones car as a disabled when one has a Blue Badge apart from TFL London which can exempt two cars from congestion tax and allows free parking as per regulations.
TFL staff are excellent and reply very quickly to queries, a lot of which can be resolved on their website

Only exeption is Westminster which if one cannot get in a marked disabled bay and one uses a standard parking metered bay, you pay for 5 minutes and get an hour but you must display the ticket and Blue Badge as normal.

I have found parking wardens most helpfull and pleasant if asked and some have even found me a parking spot.

I really cannot understand a lot of the comments made on this post by people without a Badge, I would much rather have the full use of my lungs than a Badge any day and I am sure all other badge holders would feel the same as me.

Peter
Hear hear ,I suffer from copd and my disability is not always evident so I quite often hear people muttering about me when they see me getting out if my car ..oh and no my copd was not caused by me smoking ,I have never smoked,I believe it was caused by passive inhalation of other persons exhaled smoke . But I pay with my health because of others habits. Roy

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I have a blue badge and qualify through c.o.p.d and peripheral neuropathy. Fortunately, I don't have to claim any payments as they say I have too much financially, (how ever much that is?). Good luck to the many people who do not, and have too claim. I have to pay road tax on a car and camper, so blue badge isn't reliant on finances. Good luck to all.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Peter

Well said Peter. I have sat with people who have disabilities that pain them in idescribable ways .
My own wife has a spinal injury which has left her with Chronic pain syndrome. This is a very very awful cross to bear and I could cry sometimes in frustration cos I can't do a bloody thing about it

We are by no means rich . But we claim nothing and plod on. I would give everything we have from the house to the motor home all the lot if it meant my wife could be pain free. It genuine breaks my heart...

What some people say is nothing short of thoughtless .

Say somethings nice or say nothing. Not that hard is it ?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
My wife has a Blue Badge. We would have no objection to paying to park but NOT ALL DISABLED FOLK RECEIVE BENEFITS as you assume.

Dave
You don't have to shout. I'm not deaf. Ok so perhaps I should have said .."Most people" Look at the criteria to get a badge in the first place.
Most long term badge holders would be eligible for PIP which is not means tested. And why wouldn't or shouldn't someone eligible not claim it unless they were rich, and if so can afford to pay like everyone else.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
i would give up my blue badge and occasional free parking in a heartbeat if i could once again walk, or run, or jump, or dance, or wander along a beach like so many who take those activities for granted as i once did..

disability or dis-ease does not automatically qualify a person for a blue badge,
please read this link below for information on the blue badge scheme to get acquainted with the facts, it'll only take a minute or two..

but to quote the most relevant part *** the aim of the blue badge scheme is to help disabled people who have severe mobility problems to access goods, services and other facilities by allowing them to park close to their destination**

for those who were entitled to the ved, before the demise of the old tax disc, it was marked as nil in the field where the fee is displayed and marked with the word disabled in the field where the letters dc are shown..

6824565844_c1ffbe5e4e_z.jpg

@Johns_Cross_Motorhomes , my car was/and is registered automatically with customs and excise and dvla as it was adapted for me as a disabled driver with a heavy duty hoist at the rear for my power chair to be lifted inside and as such qualifies for zero vat on repairs, parts and servicing..
incidentally, i payed for this and all my other mobility equipment from my own pocket and will continue to do so, i don't expect the tax payer, which i was before i had to give up work and retire, to fund me..

Last edited:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
You don't have to shout. I'm not deaf. Ok so perhaps I should have said .."Most people" Look at the criteria to get a badge in the first place.
Most long term badge holders would be eligible for PIP which is not means tested. And why wouldn't or shouldn't someone eligible not claim it unless they were rich, and if so can afford to pay like everyone else.
Maybe its most people where you are but its most certainly not the case here in west Berkshire. ..."most " blue badge holders are not on benefits in my town . .we seem to be on an area where a great deal of the disabilities are respiratory issues . Roy

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Disabled people should pay for parking like everyone else.... Disability rights organisations rant on about having the same opportunities as able bodied people but when it comes to paying they don't mind being different then..!

For your info, proper disabled people get mobility allowance and they get it whether working or not so its not to do with low income...

The one that gets me is that old age is a disability...! And I mean the ones that think that just because their old they can park in a disabled bay....

Trust me.... After nearly 40yrs in a wheelchair with no legs I've heard it all......:confused:

All this PC crap piss's me off sometimes...:eek:

Keep smiling as there's always someone worse of then you......(y)

I think free disabled parking is because the use of public transport is often not an option if you use a wheelchair, for example. Park and rides are often not wheelchair accessible, most buses into town are not wheelchair accessible, so you have no option but to use a car, whereas the able bodied CHOOSE to take their cars. However, Nottingham have a great tram scheme where everyone parks for free and journeys into the city centre. We are able to make use of this....and we do. Often. Now that's what I call enabling the population. Go Nottingham.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I worked part time as a volunteer in a CAB for a while. Very stressfull which is why I no longer do it.
These things change and are changing as we speak. Most advisors at the government institutions that deal with these things have not a clue what they are doing.

Oh I know that! going to local CAB to get help with forms when they arrive:(

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
most " blue badge holders are not on benefits in my town . .we seem to be on an area where a great deal of the disabilities are respiratory issues . Roy
And how would you know that?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I think free disabled parking is because the use of public transport is often not an option if you use a wheelchair, for example. Park and rides are often not wheelchair accessible, most buses into town are not wheelchair accessible, so you have no option but to use a car, whereas the able bodied CHOOSE to take their cars. However, Nottingham have a great tram scheme where everyone parks for free and journeys into the city centre. We are able to make use of this....and we do. Often. Now that's what I call enabling the population. Go Nottingham.

I'm going there next month, is the tram wheelchair accessible ...? That'll be handy if it is...?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have a blue badge and qualify through c.o.p.d and peripheral neuropathy. Fortunately, I don't have to claim any payments as they say I have too much financially, (how ever much that is?). Good luck to the many people who do not, and have too claim. I have to pay road tax on a car and camper, so blue badge isn't reliant on finances. Good luck to all.
PIP is not means tested? It can apply to people who are not pensionable age

Eddie

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Yes its a misuse to stop and go into bank etc if the disabled passenger is in car.

Management and I go shopping but stop first at the bank. By your reconning, I misuse the badge by leaving her for a few minutes to go to do whatever. Ok then, let's follow your thinking.

I will open up the tailgate and unlock the rear ramp and lower it, take off her seatbelt and disconnect the mountings that lock the wheelchair to the floor, undo the two self locking retaining safety straps, and using the wheelchair winch run the wheelchair out onto the road. Now having parked in the road outside the bank, where is the nearest drop kerb to get off the road, close by or 50yds or more down the road. Anyway she is now on the pavement. I put on the wheelchair brakes and proceed to put away the winch and ramp gear, close the tail gate and lock the car. Then I take off the wheelchair brakes push her into the bank and do the business. Out of the bank we come and everything then has to be done in reverse, before we set off shopping.

Crazy, Not a chance, I will park outside and leave her in the car whilst I pop into the bank and will continue to "misuse" her badge. :madder:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@SuperMike...Not my thinking.
It's there on the blue badge information site if you would care to take a look.:)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Because my daughter works for the local blue badge and benefits team. And no that's not how I obtained my blue badge ,my doctor recommended me for it ..
So what you are saying is the blue badge team is run by the benefits agency ..and not council run?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
@SuperMike...Not my thinking.
It's there on the blue badge information site if you would care to take a look.:)

I looked and can't see it. Link below to Blue Badge Book, please point me to the relevant bit.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
And how would you know that?
I have been through 2 court appearances appealing against two separate ESA decisions. And won both easily! 5 years later it's all happening again so know what I'm in for thanks:(

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I looked and can't see it. Link below to Blue Badge Book, please point me to the relevant bit.

"You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car."
That is how I would read it.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I'm going there next month, is the tram wheelchair accessible ...? That'll be handy if it is...?

Yes it is. Free parking ( we use The Forest) park in the disabled bays, get your ticket at the machine, I think there is a discount if you are in a wheelchair, the trams have two wheelchair entrances. It's really very good. You can't access the free parking in a Motorhome, at least at The Forest. There is a height barrier, but there is parking on the road that runs alongside the parking area. But the trams are fantastic.
PIP is not means tested? It can apply to people who are not pensionable age

Eddie
Pip is not means tested. You can get it if you qualify via the various criteria.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
i would give up my blue badge and occasional free parking in a heartbeat if i could once again walk, or run, or jump, or dance, or wander along a beach like so many who take those activities for granted as i once did..

disability or dis-ease does not automatically qualify a person for a blue badge,
please read this link below for information on the blue badge scheme to get acquainted with the facts, it'll only take a minute or two..

but to quote the most relevant part *** the aim of the blue badge scheme is to help disabled people who have severe mobility problems to access goods, services and other facilities by allowing them to park close to their destination**

for those who were entitled to the ved, before the demise of the old tax disc, it was marked as nil in the field where the fee is displayed and marked with the word disabled in the field where the letters dc are shown..

6824565844_c1ffbe5e4e_z.jpg

@Johns_Cross_Motorhomes , my car was/and is registered automatically with customs and excise and dvla as it was adapted for me as a disabled driver with a heavy duty hoist at the rear for my power chair to be lifted inside and as such qualifies for zero vat on repairs, parts and servicing..
incidentally, i payed for this and all my other mobility equipment from my own pocket and will continue to do so, i don't expect the tax payer, which i was before i had to give up work and retire, to fund me..

Anybody who qualifies at the level deemed for nil VED gets a wee form. When they tax the car they enter a number off that wee form. This automatically puts that vehicle down as in the Disability class. The cost therefore is nil.

In Judges case if he is given the status and chooses to use it on his Smart car that car will be in the Disabled class even though he would gain nothing monetarily wise.

I have known people with say two vehicles. 1 say a wee car and 2 a motor home. Obviously the benefit can be used on either vehicle. In fact the benefit can be used on ANY vehicle so the benefit could be applied to a motor home. Providing that motor home is used in conjunction with the disabled person in receipt of the benefit there would be no problems at all ..

It is or can be complex. Plus as I mentioned above things change often so please check before taking my opinion as perfection.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
"You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car."
That is how I would read it.

I can go into the shop on Steves behalf provided he is in the car. I cannot go buy a dress for myself. If I was visiting him in hospital I can't use the Blue Badge, but if I am going to pick him up I can use the Blue Badge. Basically if it is of benefit to the person issued with the BB it's ok.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs

Its there on section 1.

• You should not use the badge to allow
non-disabled people to take advantage
of the benefits while you sit in the car.

And again here

When might you get a parking ticket?

You might get a parking ticket:

if you park on yellow lines for more than three hours
your badge isn't displayed correctly; it must be displayed clearly on the dashboard with the wheelchair user symbol or hologram facing forward so that the relevant details can be read from outside the vehicle
if you don't intend to leave the vehicle, for example, if you stay in the car while someone else goes shopping

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can go into the shop on Steves behalf provided he is in the car. I cannot go buy a dress for myself. If I was visiting him in hospital I can't use the Blue Badge, but if I am going to pick him up I can use the Blue Badge. Basically if it is of benefit to the person issued with the BB it's ok.

Actually I think you may be wrong about that! I've just been reading the pdf below:

It clearly says:

Do not allow other people to use the badge to do something on your behalf, such as shopping or collecting something for you.
• You must never give the badge to friends or family to allow them to park for free, even if they are visiting you.

You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car.
• It is a criminal offence to misuse a badge. This includes people other than the badge holder taking advantage of the parking concessions provided under the scheme.​

My interpretation of the above is that if the disabled person does NOT at any point need to enter or exit the vehicle, ie they just stay in it whilst it is parked up, you CANNOT use the blue badge for parking.

It is a 'mobility aid' ONLY for the person it is provided for - if that person has no intention of getting 'mobile', so will just wait for you in the vehicle, you, as the able-bodied person are NOT entitled to use it - there is nothing to prevent YOU from parking in a normal parking bay for example and walking to/from it.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have been through 2 court appearances appealing against two separate ESA decisions. And won both easily! 5 years later it's all happening again so know what I'm in for thanks:(

When at the CAB most of the work was related to appeals on some benefit or other. The lions share I was involved in were successful.

The whole system is flawed. Its down to decision makers who frankly have absolutely no idea what they are doing....

Example. How can a person with NO medical training say a person it fit and well and/or able bodied enough to work when the Doctor or Specialist consultant say they are not ?

The bodies who deal with these forms and decide have an agenda. That agenda is to reject claims and fire people off benefits. When I was at CAB it was ATOS. That has I believe changed now or is about to be.

Any person who is on DLA that has not had to migrate over to PIP will have to be doing so in the not to distant future.

The PIP requirements are quite a bit different and way way tougher ! So unfortunately many will loose the benefit. The decision is like above dictated to by the agenda. That agenda is again to fire people off DLA and therefore save the government money.

My advice for what its worth is IF anyone is fired off appeal immediately.

Doing the job in the CAB was ultra ultra stressful. Mainly because when sat the other side of a desk from some idiot who was clearly not entitled but refused to accept it was extremely difficult ! Helping the genuine was an pleasure and rewarding. Please consider volunteers do the work for nothing. But its was not and nearly never is about money. The reward from actually making a difference was immense. Sadly some take it home and take each case personally. Not an easy job ...

One last thing. Each appeal costs the government a huge amount of money. Often far more than allowing people to claim and be paid. Stunningly ridiculous ! . But they have an agenda to work to and stupid as it is that's what they do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back