Feb 6, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Apache
Exp
newbie!
Hey folks,
am newish to this, actually living in my motorhome following disastrous housing/relationship situation. It's a bit of an elderly lady, 1987, and we're at present parked on some quite high ground in Devon being hit by 60mph gusts of wind. It's been so full on since I've been here (a month now) that I'm less scared each time, but could still do with some reassurance! I've managed to back the van so I'm not being hit so hard, the chemical waste block is breaking the impact, but i can't move it to face the winds.
Hoping to meet some folk on here, who may be in similar situation, maybe not weather wise, but in terms of the van being their main home. It's a bit odd chatting to people who just think you're having a great time on a touring holiday!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hey welcome. There's a large group of single ladies and men on here not to mention a few full timers like you. I'm sure you'll find plenty to chat about.
It's worth considering joining the forum because you only get a limited amount of posts otherwise. As you can probably see there's a huge amount of knowledge on here on a multitude of subjects in addition to motorhoming.
:welcomesign:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi from a very blowy Poole.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:hiya2: Julia, welcome to the fun (y)

If you're not sure about any aspect of the forums, check out Broken Link Removed

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

Wyn

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us. It's very windy here in Lincolnshire today and we are more than 300 miles from you!

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
Hello and welcome to a very wet West Yorkshire

Liz

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Julia, and a warm welcome to cheer you up a bit! Don't you worry about "people thinking you're having a great time holidaying". There are many more people you'd think , who are in a difficult /depressing/ challenging situation!!

Some men , and some women too!
Let us help you in all the possible ways, just ask away, but first of all, as you've been told in a previous post, if you want to be able to post and ask questions, you've got to be a member by paying a subscription!

Once you'll feel confident, and if you want to cross the waters and go down south, you can come down to my place for a free stopover.

Hope the winds will stop!

Amicalement

Frankie:):)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome from another bit of Devon! I suggest, if you are really rocking either turn the vehicle to face the wind or face away from it. The main thing is not to have the 'fridge vents facing the gale if possible especially if you don't have blanking plates.

Bit blowy here too but not as wet as expected!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome:hiya2: Lots of help and fun on here when you need it .

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi from the Devon /Somerset borders - I am not surprised you are being blown about at the moment the whole of the West Country is under Amber alert for rain and yellow alert for wind - certainly we are being buffeted about - invest in the Subscriber status and you will find there is a west country group as well

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hoping to meet some folk on here, who may be in similar situation, maybe not weather wise, but in terms of the van being their main home.

Hi Julia and welcome to the Fun. Myself and partner David live in our motorhome, from choice rather than from necessity, but there are more people than you'd think out there who live in their vans. Many will not advertise the fact, preferring to keep under the radar, but once you get chatting to people you'll usually pick up on a few clues. :)

We're currently being buffeted by the wind at Alderstead Heath in Surrey .........

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi from a windy Wells. Nice to be at home when the weather is like this but needing to get out in the van again. :welcome4:

OP
OP
M

Mercy

Free Member
Feb 6, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Apache
Exp
newbie!
thank you everyone, and I've also logged onto the 365, so thanks for that too.
Thankfully the fridge vents are the other side, and it's not easy for me to face the winds. Very sodden ground either side of the gravel pitch and matey who owns the site would not appreciate my tyres. There is no-where else to put it...I feel relatively safe as I've been up here through several gales and but it's quite full on at times, especially now gusts of 60...I won't blow over will I?!!

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there and welcome to MHF(y)
Brian & Jo

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
especially now gusts of 60...I won't blow over will I?!!

Only once. (y)

Sit it out is the only thing you can do Julia I'm afraid. When it dies down you could move either on that site or change sites but that might be difficult this time of year as most are closed. Whatever MoHo you have it will be very boxy and it's not the best shape in a gale I'm afraid.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
on some quite high ground in Devon being hit by 60mph gusts of wind.

That happened to us in December, so we hopped on a boat and now we are hot and happy in Benidorm. Get that ferry booked.

OP
OP
M

Mercy

Free Member
Feb 6, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
Auto trail Apache
Exp
newbie!
thanks so much for responses. Felt the love!

Reactions: DBK
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
:welc:from a cold but blustery Yorkshire, I hope you are able to get yourself turned around in more ways than one.
Take care.
Norman.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Another gale coming, and stronger than the last one! The forecast suggests it will start blowing as it gets dark tonight then blow all tomorrow - gusts up to 60mph here. Just make sure you aren't near any trees, they probably won't be blown over but flying twigs and small branches don't do the paintwork any good. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back