Blown air heating via hot water heater + heat exchanger (1 Viewer)

Chris2050

Free Member
Oct 5, 2015
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Has anyone tried using one of these heat exchanger units which generates blown hot air from hot water + a small amount of 12V?

Broken Link Removed

In theory, would it allow you to heat the whole cabin simply with a diesel hot water heater (webasto thermo top c?) or gas hot water heater, no need to have both separate air & water or a combi unit?

I guess thermostat control would need to be considered but could be simple.

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
by the looks of the unit it connects into the cooling circuit of the engine so you would need to run a circulation pump to make it work

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Already used for en route heating in many motorhomes!
If you are set on one diesel powered unit for both heating and water, what about a Webasto Dualtop?
It mounts under the van and saves you space too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As above, we have a Webasto dualtop and it works fine. The unit in the link is designed only for use when driving. I am not sure if you could connect it to a water heater. You would need a recirculating pump and this seems an unnecessary complication and power drain.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Seems a bit overkill if you already have a heating system for driving and when parked up.

We already have the engine heat exchanger which runs the Alde hot water and heating system when you are driving.

It is an option on vehicles fitted with the Alde we system.

Martin

OP
OP
C

Chris2050

Free Member
Oct 5, 2015
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I don't already have an engine-off heating or hot water system. I'd like one, ideally running on diesel as I dislike gas.

I'm looking into a cheaper combined heating & DHW system than the Webasto Dualtop / Eberspacher Combitronic or Truma combi 6, which all seem to cost around £1800.

I've noticed that Webasto Thermo Top diesel water heaters sell on ebay for between £50 (stripped from vehicle) to £300 (reconditioned and including extra parts & connections), or £600 new. These are often installed as engine pre-heaters, but can also be installed independently. With a heat exchanger such as linked above such a unit could blow hot air, and with a plate heat exchanger it could also supply hot water.

I've now found that Webasto sells a pre-packaged set of gear that does this, called the C300, for £1200 http://pbautoelectrics.co.uk/shop/w...-heater-kit-with-standard-controller-41k107d/

But I reckon that a similar system, based on a reconditioned unit, plus all the bits and some DIY, could probably be put together for around £600, which seems like a bargain for diesel heating & hot water. Or around £400 if I was able to recondition the heater myself.

Does anyone have a Webasto C300 system and does it work well for them?

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Does anyone have a Webasto C300 system and does it work well for them?
Sorry not the webasto...but similar.
I put in the erbersacher combitronic system ,but not as a stand alone system as intended... I plumed mine into the engine as well, so have the facility to heat the van and water with engine, diesel heater and 240v.. as both the blown air heat exchanger and hot water tank have 240v heating elements.
I had to fit a solenoid valve in the pipework to stop engine pre heating when diesel heater was running when on a site.. that valve draws about .75 amp which isn't great but wired so that it opens when engine is started to allow water circulation for normal engine cooling... If I'd used a manual valve I might have forgotten to open it..
Think its a great set up but the diesel htr is loud..
Ta andy

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the usual way to run these type of systems is by tapping into the engine cooling systen with a deisel powered water heater using a calorifier for hot water and the fan coil units already linked to you need to incorperate a valve to stop the heat going to the engine when not running as the heat can dry the bores lubrication out causing premature bore and ring wear
you could use one without the engine coolant but would need either a header tank or exspansion vessel and safety valve
magnums did have some older model truma combi boilers for around 900 pounds recently no longer listed the combi 4e is just under 1400
a malaga water heater and propex comes out at under £800 in magnums

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back