Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
Hi just looking for advice, when I plugged a phone charger in it blew the charger, I looked at the wires , at the back and noticed the brown wire had been folded , and there was bare wire on the brown wire, so wrapped in insulation tape, also the previous owner had connected maxiview. Via plastic connectors, so I disconnected the maxiview wire. So it is just the 2 original 12 volt wires going to the socket, brown going to the positive symbol, blue going to the negative symbol on the rear on the 12 volt socket. Then tried another phone charger this time, saw a bit of a flash and another phone charger blown. Any ideas would be appreciated. Sorry forgot to mention it's a Hymer b584 2002 model

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm confused, your phone charger looks like a 240v one, so where do the 12v wires come into it? Just trying to work out the problem as it isn't clear from the pictures. Blue and brown wires usually mean 240v and these shouldn't be connected to anything with a + or - symbol on it as that suggests 12 volts. :)

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
The brown and blue wires look identical to those going into the 240v socket, also appear a bit heavy duty for 12v.
You need to check output with a voltmeter before pluging anythingelse in there.
Ray

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
The brown and blue wires look identical to those going into the 240v socket, also appear a bit heavy duty for 12v.
You need to check output with a voltmeter before pluging anythingelse in there.
Ray
thank you for reply raysalaugh just looked and found these wires black and red are these the 12 volt wires, someone has disconnected the hella 12 volt 10 amp socket that was originally in the tv cabinet, so should I disconnect the brown and blue wires and put the 12 volt wires in there place on the socket or would it be better to reconnect the hella socket has I have adapters to fit this socket .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
I'm confused, your phone charger looks like a 240v one, so where do the 12v wires come into it? Just trying to work out the problem as it isn't clear from the pictures. Blue and brown wires usually mean 240v and these shouldn't be connected to anything with a + or - symbol on it as that suggests 12 volts. :)
thank you for advice, where I am confused when I bought motorhome last year I put it in to a garage that said they had check all the gas, electrics and everything was has it should be, what is confusing me how come the maxi view has not blown is this not 12 volt, any advice would be appreciated. Has I am shocked that this has been wired this way

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Beware - Germany uses Brown for ground/0V and blue for +12V on some vans.

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
Beware - Germany uses Brown for ground/0V and blue for +12V on some vans.
I am a bit confused are you saying the wires could be on the wrong connections, has I have been told on previous comments that these wires blue and brown do not look like 12 volt wires ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am a bit confused are you saying the wires could be on the wrong connections, has I have been told on previous comments that these wires blue and brown do not look like 12 volt wires ?

I'm saying just one thing, the Germans use totally alien colours to us for their 12V circuits. I did blow up my TV once but I have the skills to repair it.

Your photos show two 240V sockets and a 12V socket all using the same colour wires. If you are not 100% sure what you are doing, if you do not have a voltmeter and know how to use it then stop now before you get into real trouble.

Sorry to be defensive but I don't want your lawyers or your bereaved relatives on my back.

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
I'm saying just one thing, the Germans use totally alien colours to us for their 12V circuits. I did blow up my TV once but I have the skills to repair it.

Your photos show two 240V sockets and a 12V socket all using the same colour wires. If you are not 100% sure what you are doing, if you do not have a voltmeter and know how to use it then stop now before you get into real trouble.

Sorry to be defensive but I don't want your lawyers or your bereaved relatives on my back.
Thank you for advice, hill dweller I was going to just unplug ehu turn of 12 volt switch unplug the blue and brown wire from the rear of the 12 volt socket put these wire in a plastic connection insulate with tape, then get the electrician to look, but what I cannot understand why have these blue and brown wire not blown the maxiviev for the TVs aerial if they are 240v has the previous owner had piggy back the maxi view into the blue and brown wires, that go into the 12 v socket.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I cannot understand why have these blue and brown wire not blown the maxiviev for the TVs aerial if they are 240v.

That is the whole problem. You cannot guess the voltage by cable colour. You can't even guess positive or negative in a 12V circuit.

As has been said, your chargers are 240V, I can't think of any fault condition in your MH that would blow a charger, the fault could be in what you are charging.

There one way a 240V charger can be blown, by a bad inverter. Now even more confusing for you. Do you know if you have an inverter ?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I'm not much use to you Don't know as I sure as hell don't know Don't know and it sounds as if you don't know Don't know.........:Eeek: :wink:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
With all due respect
I dont think YOU should do anything till a tester or expert help is obtained, and you are able to prove Voltage or serious damage will be the best outcome death will be the worst:Eeek:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am a bit confused. Your initial photos show a USB charging cable (from the phone?) plugged into a 240V USB adaptor plugged into a 240V socket. Is that the set up you say has blown?

Next to the 240V socket and to its right is a 12V cigarette lighter type socket. Is that is the one that is blown? If it is what did you put into it?

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
Just a update, went into the toilet realised there was hella type 12 volt 10amp socket so checked the wires, took the wires of the 12 volt socket that was blowing chargers, put the back on the hella socket in the TVs cabinet, just same has the toilet socket, now no problem, charges phone, so I will still get it checked Monday with electrician. Maybe the wires where on wrong connections or the sockets faulty. Thanks for all comments and advice.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think I understand now. This has nothing to do with 240v circuits but the confusion arose because your second picture shows a USB charger plugged into a 240v socket. I assume this is not the charger which has blown and the problem arose with chargers plugged into the 12v socket? If this is the case it is possible the socket might have been wired with the wrong polarity. But as suggested, best to get things checked because clearly there was some dodgy wiring there. You can get a good multi-meter from Screwfix for about £10 and I find mine invaluable.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think I understand now.

Just like a Poirot play. Hours of misleading clues then the final scene and they make everything clear. "And you Mr Brown wire are the guilty party, you wait 'till the middle of the night when everyone is asleep, carefully swap pins with Mr Blue wire and then bide your time until Mr Charger arrives and you brutally murder him".

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
I think I understand now. This has nothing to do with 240v circuits but the confusion arose because your second picture shows a USB charger plugged into a 240v socket. I assume this is not the charger which has blown and the problem arose with chargers plugged into the 12v socket? If this is the case it is possible the socket might have been wired with the wrong polarity. But as suggested, best to get things checked because clearly there was some dodgy wiring there. You can can get a good multi-meter from Screwfix for about £10 and I find mine invaluable.
Yes I finally understand now . 100%, negative was on the positive and negative was on the positive. And I now know blue is positive and brown is negative. And I will buy a multi meter. And will learn how to use it. Thank you for your help

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
I'm sorry but it would appear you don't have the knowledge to be trying to sort out the problem and would suggest that you empoy a professional auto electrician before any further damage or injury.
Thank for your advice , looks like I have the knowledge that I appeared not to have. but thanks for you warning I did take it on board. And has I said in a earlier post I put in a garage. Where a professional told me all the electrics have been checked .and are fine.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thank for your advice , looks like I have the knowledge that I appeared not to have. but thanks for you warning I did take it on board. And has I said in a earlier post I put in a garage. Where a professional told me all the electrics have been checked .and are fine.
Well done, I'm pleased you have sorted it (y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The scariest part of this play is an apparent novice with faulty wiring took apart a second socket and followed the colours to repeat on the second socketwhat if the first socket was dangerous and the second lethal
You were very lucky or very silly
G

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think you will find the NCC guide for wiring Caravans & Motorhomes (UK built vans) uses blue for live and white for earth and green for live from a split charge relay, at least the germans use brown for earth quite logical as earth (soil) is brown.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back