blow up awnings

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chasthedagger, Oct 31, 2015.

1. chasthedagger

chasthedagger Funster

this has probably been discussed before but we are thinking of buying one, there seems to be some problems with them being used in the sun for long periods, i thought awnings were supposed to be used in the sun and have never heard of limits being imposed on how long you can use them.
    what advice has anyone who has one ?

2. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I think you'll find its just an unfounded rumour. The material may be affected by prolonged exposure to the sun as any material would but the tubes are well protected by matetial sleeves and replaceable if they get damaged in any way.
    You should be able to use them as much as the non inflatable type.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I seem to recall there was an issue with earlier models but they sorted it. I can't remember what it was or anything sorry.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Tents with inflatable poles or air beams are not a new idea...

The Igloo dome tent was around in the 1960s when I went camping with my mum and dad

here is one that is 50 years old.. looks good to me.. and the poles are not covered.
    http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums...-vintage-pneumatic-igloo-tent-inflatable.html

Don't know if they are still in production, but I saw a Dutch family with one in France..

I mentioned this in another thread.. all awnings eventually fade and degrade in UV .. none are sold for permanent sitting or long term use in the sun..
    some are better than others.. read the instructions and guidance for use..

I bought a heavy duty marquee for the garden.. after one season it had started to degrade .. the roof developed a tear along on of the seams..

Prior to that, another cheaper gazebo fell apart after a few months..

If you plan to use an awning all winter in Spain I would try and give it some shade.. either man made or natural

AS mentioned, the air poles in the Kampa I just bought are encased in 300 denier nylon .. so not directly exposed to UV .

5. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Is it not illegal to blow up awnings????

Seriously, I saw someone struggle with an awning , It was not putting it up but trying to get it down, they needed a vacuum pump I think as the residual air was difficult to get out. It was going to end in a divorce from what I saw.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

I put up an inflatable awning on a caravan about five months ago and was genuinely surprised by how sturdy it was.
    It has been up ever since through various storms and gales and hasn't moved at all.

I am impressed (y)

7. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Damn. I came here to watch videos of ISIS detonating awnings. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

[QUOTE="Seriously, I saw someone struggle with an awning , It was not putting it up but trying to get it down, they needed a vacuum pump I think as the residual air was difficult to get out. It was going to end in a divorce from what I saw.[/QUOTE]

I can only speak for the Kampa .. no issues deflating it. Biggest challenge is folding it and getting it back in the bag

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have long thought that they should put rings at various points on the awning with numbers on them.

You lay the awning flat and grab the two rings with number 1 on and pull them together. Repeat for each number pair and you end up with a neatly folded awning. I never had a problems with tents being a smartarse. But the number of times I have seen tuggers struggling to get an awning folded and rolled properly tells me a lot of people need this sort of help? :whistle:;)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I do know that they are not meant to be used for long periods in the sunshine!

How do I know?

My friend had one in Spain and then one day it went bang and collapsed!

13 months old and the maker said it had been up in the sun for longer than recommended.

So no support from the seller or the maker!

If you plan to use one in Spain for the winter, I suggest you reconsider!

:cooler:

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I saw an inflatable tent in 2005 when we had our first trip to France, we were on a campsite and a Dutch couple drove in, got their tent out and pumped it up ... it was more 'house shaped' with a ridge roof running from front to back and straight sides from what I recall - I was fascinated!

12. Minxy Girl

You have to remember that any piece of inflatable aparatus will expand when it is hot - if it get very hot the tubes will expand more than they were intended and go 'poof' ... we have to be careful with inflatable canoes for the same reason when they're not on the water (which keeps them cool) and ensure that we let some of the air out when leaving them out to dry off in the sun.

As for the awnings and sun degredation - the nylon covering won't stop all the UV rays getting through and these will, over time, weaken not only the material but the tubes too.

I know people use thse inflatable awnings for months one end in Spain but I've also heard/read the reports for those who've had problems when damage occurs as the seller/manufacturer doesn't want to know, even if still under warranty, as they have been used outside the recommended parameters! It is unusual to hear of any standard 'pole' type awnings to have this problem.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I have long thought that they should put rings at various points on the awning with numbers on them.

You lay the awning flat and grab the two rings with number 1 on and pull them together. Repeat for each number pair and you end up with a neatly folded awning. I never had a problems with tents being a smartarse. But the number of times I have seen tuggers struggling to get an awning folded and rolled properly tells me a lot of people need this sort of help? :whistle:;)[/QUOTE]
    It is pretty easy - the instructions are quite clear and it is very logical - lay flat fold end in, fold over, again and roll it up. Sort of......

• Like Like x 2
  14. Gromett

Gromett Funster

It is pretty easy - the instructions are quite clear and it is very logical - lay flat fold end in, fold over, again and roll it up. Sort of......[/QUOTE]

someone needs to tell the tuggers then :p;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

someone needs to tell the tuggers then :p;)[/QUOTE]
    Yes, but we aren't tuggers are we? That would spoil all our fun......:D

16. scotjimland

that's a sweeping statement.. and generalisation..

I looked at several and they are not all made with the same materials.. the Kampa, has 300 denier polyester , the Vango has much lighter 150 denier rip stop nylon, Dorema use polyester, and also Ten Cate ..

put it another way..

Never having bought one, I suggest that inflatable canoes and boats are all easily punctured or damaged by UV .. but you and I both know there is a huge difference in quality between makes.. Gumotex are tough and I imagine very hard wearing and a different type of construction to other cheaper makes..

If we want the very toughest wearing and longest lasting awning we would by an ex Army mess tent.. it would last a lifetime.. but you would need a trailer to haul it..

When my dad took us camping, at one point he had an ex army tent.. the guy lines were like ships hawsers, the poles were heavy wood, about 2 in dia ..we could climb up the roof and slide down the other side.. Try that with modern lightweight tent..

so, when choosing an awning for touring, we strike a balance between longevity with weight and ease of use.. all is compromise.. as most things in life are..

In my opinion, the Kampa and others, will last many many years of 'normal' holiday use.. it's not designed.. nor advertised as a long term camp awning..

Just as Motorhomes and Caravans are not designed for full timing .. but for recreational use.. so to are awnings..

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Minxy Girl

Agree with much of what you have said but I'm no sure why you seem to take umbridge with my supposed 'sweeping statement and generalisation' ... it will happen ... how long it'll take will depend on the quality of the materials, how long and where it's used ... so there was actually nothing wrong with my statement was there!:rolleyes:

18. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

So...
    There's no evidence that the sunlight would affect a quality inflatable awning any more than it would affect a conventional awning so long as it wasn't a permanent fixture. Don't even know what the tubes are made of so ant comment on them. But if they are rubber ... covered tyres last for years ..

19. Minxy Girl

No, the tubes aren't rubber, they're a type of plastic/pvc.

20. scotjimland

No idea what you mean by umbridge.. I gave a measured and considered reply .. :)

Specifically talking about the tubes.. you said..

the nylon covering won't stop all the UV rays getting through and these will, over time, weaken not only the material but the tubes too... eventually

you don't know that.. it is an assumption, not a fact.

you also said

It is unusual to hear of any standard 'pole' type awnings to have this problem. Really ??
    I have seen plenty tents and awnings shredded in the wind due to being UV degraded.

this is also implying that inflatable tube awnings were more prone to UV damage than solid pole ...

As I said earlier.. inflatable poles are not new.. there are plenty of Igloo tents still in use with exposed air poles, .. so I'm not too concerned about my Kampa degrading and falling down.. .. it will certainly see me out.. and perhaps my grandson..