Bloody Sargent.!!!

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by Sunsets Unlimited., Jan 19, 2016.

1. Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited. Funster

Forgive me for swearing in this post as I remember another funster doing just that about his EC328 last year and I thought "how boring is that".

Well,,, went to switch mine off couple of hours ago and the illuminating switch wouldn't operate without making a hissing sound. Hmmm I thought, that's not good, it must be faulty, so I emailed Sargent requesting a new switch and was promptly told, take the whole unit out of the bus and send it to us and will fit you a new switch, and check the unit out at the same time and we will charge you £70 quid for the privalage. All I want is a bloody switch.!!!! :mad:

Am off to Spain on the 3rd next month so taking it out, sending it to them, and having them fit a switch is out of the question. In my next pleading email to them, I explained my predicament, but still no go. "Its company policy they said, we do not supply internal parts for others to fit".!!!!

What do you reckon is on the outside of the plastic switch casing,,, "the manufacturer and part number". "O BLISSSSSSSS". Wonderful thing, "The Internet".! And all for £3.07. Free nextday delivery. So I bought 3 just for luck and still have change for the odd Sangria. :party3:

Cheers.

Mike
    SunsetsUnlimited. :coolest:

• Like Like x 11
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sunsets Unlimited.

Hi di hi, Guys and Gals,

Continuation of the £70 switch saga requested by "Sargent".!!!

And it came to pass in the early hours of the morning, that my 3 ordered switches were delivered to me. Fitted one of the 3 in two minuets, powered the old girl up (that's the bus,,,not the wife) and Huston,,,, "We have lift off".!!! :birthday:

Any thoughts out there, on why it is, some companies try to work it up us.? :moon2::moon2:

Have a good time people.

Mike
    SunsetsUnlimited. :coolest:

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. zac

zac Funster Life Member

any links to the switch and how it is replaced, may come in handy for when mine breaks ?

4. Sunsets Unlimited.

And it will.!! As we know,, nothing lasts forever.!

"Arrow Electronics 01279 626777".

Hope the info will be of assistance.

Mike. :coolest:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sunsets Unlimited.

Forgot to say. Part No for mine is "1353 Double Pole Illuminated Rocker Switch".

• Like Like x 1
  6. zac

zac Funster Life Member

great thanks

7. pseward152

pseward152 Funster

I can top that my plastic door handle snapped on my dethleff motorhome called lowdhams at Nottingham guy told me cannot buy habitation door handle need to replace whole door called premier motorhomes at Chichester great service from guy called Chris 12 pounds delivered 2 days later will never use lowdhams again

• Like Like x 3
  8. keith

keith Funster

Saw the thread title and thought you were on a 252. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Old soldiers will understand

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I have a passionate dislike for Sargent even though I've never owned one, from experiences on here they seem such poor designs. I did once have hands on, on Skye, wild camper next door moaned we have to leave, heating gone off and husband cannot take cold. I looked, saw Sargent, unplugged control panel, refitted, heating worked. I refused £50 repair fee.

But selling spares that need soldering is just too risky, they would end up with endless cases of badly damaged boards with them being blamed because they sold the spares.

10. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

I am not defending their position either but Brian (as usual) is right. Imagine if they send you a switch to replace the one that was "hissing" and it turned out that the switch was reacting to a more dangerous problem, not causing it

The headline would be Sargent unit causes fire cost lives or something equally dramatic

A lot of service has been lost due to our compensation culture removing peoples personal responsibility

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

When my step control became faulty on my previous Swift E450 I took my Sargent box back, I live locally, on collection it had been completely rebuilt with all new/latest circuit boards. I found their service excellent.
    Make me wonder now what sort of hassle I may experience if a similar things happens to my Hymer.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Eddie your answer is a bit of a cop out......if someone (out of warranty or not) interferes with any workings on any electrical apparatus, they would be on there own.

Some businesses just don't want to get involved......that is fine. They could have maybe given a link to someone that could get involved.
    Do you think Arrow Electronics will be worrying about compensation culture?.....i think not..........they only sold a switch....no advice .....no info nada

In my experience Sargent are very helpful and have read posts on forums and got involved. And been pro-active in their approach.......but.

Sorry but in this case i would be peeved........it is ok for the d.i.y.er to disconect all the wires and plugsto take the unit out and again plug it all back together, but can't change a switch.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  13. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

As I said I wasn't defending them, so no cop out

However, there are things that we won't do as a business, normally due to being bitten on the arse in the past

• Like Like x 4
  14. Sunsets Unlimited.

Hi guys and Gals,, me thinks you are all correct in one way but surely we must all retain the right to do our own thing in the way we chose with out paying through the nose. In saying that it reminds me of something very topical at the mo. ANY Ideas.??????

15. Sunsets Unlimited.

Hi eddy,, so are you saying you won't be selling electrical components from the point of this posting just in case it fails and you end up in court.??? Am not sure your thinking is quite correct or nobody would sell any thing in case it failed. Signed. Hissing Syd. SunsetsUnlimited.

16. hilldweller

Not so - See Part P.

I defended them, not Eddie. Do you have anti static equipment for working on the board, do you have suitable soldering, de-soldering equipment, do you have the skills ? They don't know this.

And after reading your post my inverter failed. Thank you for that. Yes it was the switch but I had a replacement in stock.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sunsets Unlimited.

Hi Keith,, am not an old soldier so don't know what a 525/252 is. Help me please.
    Mike. SunsetsUnlimited.

18. hilldweller

Classified. If he told you he'd have to kill you.

19. Sunsets Unlimited.

Christ do lighten up hilldweller. When I initially posted I thought I was doing others a favour. Now we are into electronics and all the H&S of the matter. Bought a switch from a reputable supplier and fitted it meself. Job done.!! Time for a G&T. Cheers. Mike. SunsetsUnlimited.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sunsets Unlimited.

Take a chill.!!!! Are you sure that's still classified information.???