Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Following on from my previous thread re water leak.
Well I thought I'd sorted the problem only to find there was another leak, so off to my local mh intesive care unit who, after stripping out all the heating system and seating behind the kitchen eventually discover that the inboard fresh water tank has a leak.
In my opinion a Rapido design fault.
The tank has 2 feet that are basically like pieces of drain pipe that slot into mouldings on the tank. Over the 7 years that the van has been in use the end of one of these feet has cut into the bottom of the tank.
Rapido do not accept liability and the cost of buying and installing a new tank is around 1000€. Let alone any damage that the leak may have caused.
The biggest problem now is that Rapido don't hold any stock of these tanks and say it will take 6 weeks to get a replacement.
To say the least we are not happy bunnies as that mucks up our Christmas/ Ne Year trip and if Rapido don't meet their promised delivery date then our winter trip is up in the air as we are supposed to be leaving early February.
Oh joy and to crown it all one of the radiators in our bedroom has just sprung a leak.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
And problem number three ? Cheer up,your new tank should last another 7yrs + if you fit it properly this time,result.
I do feel sorry for you,and HAPPY CHRISTMAS,is heartfelt.
Tea Bag

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A think it's a common problem seen it mentioned quite a few times on other forums.
The tank will be polypropylene should be easy to weld and then modify the mounting so it doesn't happen again.

Plastic welding guns.

Or if you don't fancy having a go yourself just google "Plastic welding"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CDG

Free Member
Jun 7, 2014
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo t740
Exp
Since 2014
There is a company that make custom tanks for boats, very reasonable and quick. Think they are Techtanks or similar. Worth a try.
Dave

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Might be worth contacting Cak Tanks in Kenilworth, they seem to have a huge range of different sizes. They might have an exact model.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Surely it can be repaired as has been said, and bloody site cheaper than a new one. It would be interesting to hear how others with the same problem have resolved it before going down the route of anew tank.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I suspect the bulk of the cost is labour to remove enough stuff to get the tank in and out and then put it all back again, but a repair may at least speed the job up a bit

I do feel for you and hope it gets sorted quickly, or at least in time for you not to have to change plans (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry to hear your news

My money would be on repairing the existing tank too, at least to get you back on the road
How old is the VAN?
Don't forget that if its 6 years or less, you may still be covered by the Sale of Goods Act 6 year rule

Best of luck getting things sorted out

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for your replies and advice.
At the moment I'm sticking to the route of getting the Rapido replacement.
The price of the tank is 353€ plus tax, the rest is labour.
Because the pressure of the mounting on the area where the leak is I wouldn't trust a repair no matter how good folks might think it would be and if it didn't work, apart from the damage the labour cost would make it an expensive operation.
So it's fingers crossed that Rapido come through with the replacement in time.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had much the same problem as the OP with the water tank in my Rapido. Attempts at repair were unsuccessful so had to bite the bullet and pay for a new tank. They are a really weird shape to allow for the frame of the rear seat belts.
If you're in a hurry I'd just replace it straight away. Wokingham motorhomes did mine. You could save a bit by replacing it yourself, it doesn't look that difficult.

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I had much the same problem as the OP with the water tank in my Rapido. Attempts at repair were unsuccessful so had to bite the bullet and pay for a new tank. They are a really weird shape to allow for the frame of the rear seat belts.
If you're in a hurry I'd just replace it straight away. Wokingham motorhomes did mine. You could save a bit by replacing it yourself, it doesn't look that difficult.
How long did you have to wait for the replacement?
I'm being quoted 6 weeks and We live only 13 km from their factory.
You're right, not a difficult job just time consuming, it took the guys 6 hours to pull everything apart and disconnect all the pipework and fittings. Also at 45€ an hour, plus tax for labour I'd rather them do it.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I guess the posters raving about their own vans whilst offering nothing to help the OP are only trying to lighten the thread, but I wouldn't thank you for those replies, they would not lighten my mood, they may just deflect my anger at best :(

Go and create a thread of your own telling folks how lovely your MH is (y)

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Same as that
I wouldn't knock another persons choice of van, it's just tempting fate. We have two friends who have bought your choice of van and both have been in and out of the repair shop like a yo yo.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

Probably because they don't have it in stock, that will be the lead time from their suppliers.
Now if you could find out who supplies/makes the tank for them & cut out the middle man, is there no manufacturer name or part number on the tank? If there is google it.

If you can read French this may be usefull, a well known fault apparently.

http://www.routard.com/forum_message/3302787/fissure_reserve_d_eau_sur_rapido_987m.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Mine had a new tank in its first year
Andy, if I remember correctly didn't you have the e-mail address of achap at Rapido Mayenne who speaks reasonable English.
If so I'd appreciate if you could forward it to me.
With direct contact I'might' be able to move things along a bit.
Tia
Mike

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Should have bought a Bessacarr.
I truly have had no problems, leaks or otherwise, with my 2000 E745.
On a Fiat as well.....reliable, fast, pulls like a train.
You are lucky!
It cost my dealer £2000.00 to replace the rotten floor in my E745 when swift carried out repairs, and that was only part of the cost. That is why I would not touch another swift product!!
Type in swift rotten floors should keep you busy for a while.
Now lets get back to what this thread is about.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's a major job getting the tank out on your 7090
You have to dismantle the gas locker and all surrounding woodwork
RayC did it last year on the other place

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
You are lucky!
It cost my dealer £2000.00 to replace the rotten floor in my E745 when swift carried out repairs, and that was only part of the cost. That is why I would not touch another swift product!!
Type in swift rotten floors should keep you busy for a while.
Now lets get back to what this thread is about.

Ok, Sweetie.
Back to the topic.
You are guilty of going off, also.
We can only speak as we find.
Ok when the shit comes UK manufacturers' way, eh?

Put your handbag away.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You're right, not a difficult job just time consuming, it took the guys 6 hours to pull everything apart and disconnect all the pipework and fittings. Also at 45€ an hour, plus tax for labour I'd rather them do it.

I think mine was about that length of time. Surprised they don't keep them in stock though, especially as they fail so often. On the 999M as mine is the dismantling is just most of the L-shaped seat, the gas locker is on the other side. If yours needs more dismantling then perhaps the 6 hours is reasonable, I don't think mine took more than an hour or two, and a modicum of bad language.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back