LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

Might have read a few weeks ago we lost the Satellite, Just going round and round.. when we were up Lincoln and used the "Bat" as I call it.. (Wingard).. saw a nice bloke on an Oyster stand at the Lincoln Show and he gave me his website so I could down load a sheet to follow instructions to fix....

Anyway it was above my feeble little brain so I phoned up "Oyster" direct (When we got home) and another very nice man talked me through what to do..

Did that and it was sorted...

I understand a few lost theirs as well.. :Sad:

Been out today sorting things out and thought I would put the TV on.....

Yes thats right Dish just going round in circles again... so looks like another call to Oyster...

In fairness the Oyster man did say they would be messing about with Sat & Numbers again but after the 15th October it should be OK for a few years..

Has anybody else in the last few days experienced a problem or have you not checked..

If not I would check.... just might be my Oyster... if it is they can have it back under warranty as it`s only a few months old..

The only thing is since it was fixed last time I have put new batterys on.....

Could this have been the fault... "Interupting the power to the system ?

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Mine went doo lally at Lincoln too. Has worked ok since I did the re programme thing though. Will check again tomorrow. (Oyster Caro)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I know its not much help to you Mo but have taken mine off and replaced it with a Kathrein. Am in the process of converting the Oyster into a self seeking solar system. The damned thing was more trouble than it was worth as a satellite system. Nothing but an overpriced gizmo in my opinion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I know its not much help to you Mo but have taken mine off and replaced it with a Kathrein. Am in the process of converting the Oyster into a self seeking solar system. The damned thing was more trouble than it was worth as a satellite system. Nothing but an overpriced gizmo in my opinion.

Thanks.. :thumb:

Ah.... But I`m only an OAP so have to watch my penny`s..

Must admit we opted for the Oyster as that is what we had on the old "A" class and it never let us down...

I`m hoping it`s as the Oyster guy says that they have messed about with the numbers again....

We will see.... thank heavens for the ugly old Wingards... they work anywhere.. except abroad... :winky:::bigsmile:

Just out of curiosity does the Kathrein work abroad? In case we have to go down that road.. :Blush:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My Kathrein have had for years on different vans, its the wind up type and works down to Valencia in the south. It takes less time to find a satellite than the Oyster and nothing to go wrong with it. There was always something with the Oyster. If anyone needs an Oyster 1 metre dish or an LMB complete with arm I have them sitting in the workshop. The base am using for my other project.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I understand some systems will be programmed to loook for a signal on a particular satellite.

From another MH site, I know that some look for frequency 12441 on AStra 2 to "lock on to".

Well if your is programmed to look for this frequency it will no longer find it.

This frequency was used by the BBC, who moved the channels on that frequency to another frequenvcy, so 12441 effectivly has NO channel. So no signal. So auto systems cannot lock onto the satellite correctly.

So you need to get the box to look for another siganl for it to lock onto....

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well mine finally decided not to play last weekend.. Damned if I know why / how it did not fail before to be honest !!

But a few minutes resetting the sky box to the new frequencies and all is well again :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Monsi had problems with his at the weekend too. Too many people having problems so I'd have thought it must be "their end".

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Bearing in mind so many people seem to have repeated issues with Oyster sat systems that other brands don't seem to suffer from can anyone explain why the Oyster is regarded by so many to be the best?

D.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We had the problem. We resolved it by letting it keep going until it located the satelite, on advice from our supplier. It has locked on every time since then. We have been moving around not just in one area.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have been having similar problems with our Camos system.

Anyway have just copied the following from UKSatelliteHelp.co.uk but it does not say how to retune the systems.....

Link Removed

Posted by: Jon in Freesat, News, Sky TV
As part of the recent BBC satellite frequency changes (as mentioned here : http://www.uksatellitehelp.co.uk/2011/10/01/lost-bbc-news-bbc-alba-and-bbc-parliament-help-and-advice-here/ ) there have also been changes to the BBC Red Button Sports service.
Sky box and Freesat box users should not be affected, but if you are using any other type of satellite receiver, then you will have lost access to these channels. You may have them listed in your channel guide as “Stream”.
These channels have now been removed from their previous frequency (12441 v) to the old BBC News frequency of 11954 h.
So if you are using a non Sky or non Freesat box, then you need perform a scan (see your user manual for how to perform this) on frequency 11954 H. The “stream” channels are now (currently) listed as and look for the channel marked 6711 6712 6713 6714 6715.
Currently no channels are being shown on the OLD BBC Sports streams frequency of 12441 v. This will be an issue for some motor home users, especially if they have an automatic self seeking satellite dish system. Many of these systems have been programmed to use this frequency to “lock” onto the UK TV satellites. As this frequency is no longer carrying any channels, then these systems will not be able to lock onto the satellites.

Anyone got any ideas?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Apologies to SatandPCguy, I have just read further on the site and found his response as follows..............

One Response to “Recently lost BBC Sports Interactive Streams”

1. satandpcguy says:
    October 16th, 2011 at 8:08 am Instructions follow for a Sky digibox
    Go to Services, 4,(system setup) 4 ( add channels)
    Change the frequency to 11954 – just enter the numbers using the key pad on the remote- then move down to change the V to an H, by moving the side arrow ( these surround the select button )
    Move down to ‘find channels’ and press ‘select’
    You’ll see the nos 6711/6712/6713/6714/6715
    Tick each one by using the yellow button, then save by pressing select twice
    To view, go to ‘services’ ‘other channels’ you should be able to view the BBC streams !
    Press ‘SKY’ to get back to normal viewing
    If you dont get audio on your “streams” on your SD Sky box (HDs dont seem to have the problem) , go to the system set up menu (services, 4) and change the audio language to anything other than English, save, – and you get audio back on all streams
I will try this tomorrow, fingers crossed

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
The above from UKsatellitehelp is only to get the BBC Sports stream back on a Sky box, if you cannot get a bbc channel to launch the red button functions.
The posts tell you how to do this on sky boxes...
but again, only if you do not have access to a BBC TV channel to launch the red button....

and should have not effect on your domes nt working.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We now have a Camos crank up dish and have just bought an Avtex TV. Quick try out yesterday and picture seen. Back in van today to tidy up the installation, cables etc and ZILCH. Seems too much of a coincidence.:Angry:

Coincidentally sold old van with Oyster on the weekend that Oyster users were having problems. :Angry:

Does anyone know how much of a mess is left visible if I removed the Camos crank up and replaced with an automated system? :Sad:

1Oll

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class (German B Class!)
Exp
6+ years

Might have read a few weeks ago we lost the Satellite, Just going round and round.. when we were up Lincoln and used the "Bat" as I call it.. (Wingard).. saw a nice bloke on an Oyster stand at the Lincoln Show and he gave me his website so I could down load a sheet to follow instructions to fix....

Anyway it was above my feeble little brain so I phoned up "Oyster" direct (When we got home) and another very nice man talked me through what to do..

Did that and it was sorted...

I understand a few lost theirs as well.. :Sad:

Been out today sorting things out and thought I would put the TV on.....

Yes thats right Dish just going round in circles again... so looks like another call to Oyster...

In fairness the Oyster man did say they would be messing about with Sat & Numbers again but after the 15th October it should be OK for a few years..

Has anybody else in the last few days experienced a problem or have you not checked..

If not I would check.... just might be my Oyster... if it is they can have it back under warranty as it`s only a few months old..

The only thing is since it was fixed last time I have put new batterys on.....

Could this have been the fault... "Interupting the power to the system ?

My self fitted secondhand Oyster mk2 with Aldi Freesat tuner, works perfectly and after reading various posts regarding Oyster problems I decided to move the Amethyst to a totally different direction and on a slope, within a couple of minutes Sky news appeared. No problems.
Regards Brian in Sunny Macclesfield.

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
My Oyster Sat dish kept going round and around and would not lock onto the Astra 2 sat. I contacted Robert Jackson Satellites (Tel: 0800 107 1112) and one of the causes was my Oyster 2 software needed upgrading. To do this I had to send the Oyster decoder to Robert Jackson with a cheque for £35. Turn around time was approx 4 days. Result: my dish locks onto Astra 2 first time of lifting.
Excellent service from Robert Jackson.

Ian

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Having re-set mine as per instructions... It has been OK for a few weeks now..

So Oyster direct were right about them fiddling around the 12th - 15th Oct...

But after the 15th no problems should arise.. :Smile: Which seems to be the case..

But I do feel confident having re-set it myself to do it again.. :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think a lot of folk are missing the point..
In easy speak ( ::bigsmile: ) the problem has NOTHING to do with Oyster or any other type of sat system as such... It is the fact that most automated systems are set to search for the same signal on the same transponder.. that one WAS the beeb one that was switched off recently

Most sat receivers you can reset quite easily in the system set up of your box.

It is quite an easy thing to do as SatandPCguy said :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back