Blind Spot

Discussion in 'Peugeot' started by Brian_K, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Brian_K

Brian_K Read Only Funster

I have a terrible blind spot on my Peugeot Boxer (2015). At it’s worst when approaching a junction and turning right into the flow of traffic. Anything other than a T junction i.e. approaching at an angle of 60 deg or less and I can’t see the oncoming traffic - not helped by Remis blinds.

I’ve found these: http://www.towsure.com/milenco-aero-blind-spot-towing-mirror

Can anyone recommend them or offer an alternative?

Brian

2. Vanderek

Vanderek Funster

Brian - I have been using one for six years fitted on nearside mirror and find it great when touring Europe and joining m-ways. Well made and fits well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. golly

golly Funster

I also have one on nearside, only thing is the actual mirror isn't adjustable within the unit, but I find it useful as because of the Remis blinds frame I cant see the wide angle section of the original mirror

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian_K

Thanks guys, I thought it looked like they would do the job, just wanted to be sure before ordering a couple.

Just got back (literally) from an eleven day trip around western Europe (first time in a motorhome) - boy, those French do seem to like toot, tooting. No problem in Belgium, Holland and Luxemberg, one in Germany (may have to put my hand up to that one). Couple of dozen in France, to be fair I kinda got into it and eventually gave as good as I got :punch:.

Hopefully the mirrors may bring about a reduction :smiley:

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I have two of those mirrors and only got one toot in six weeks and that was a German lady in a Volvo so I don't even count it.

The one thing to be very aware of is vehicles are much closer than they appear.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brian_K

Agreed, but to at least be able to see what's coming at angled junctions would be a bonus. Being a solo traveler can be very difficult.

I've tried to train muttley to keep his eye's peeled, but quite frankly he couldn't care less.

[​IMG]

Just ordered the mirrors, hopefully they will do the job.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brian_K

Well, that was a success (I think). I manoeuvred the mirror around as far as I dare and subject to a test drive all looks good.

It's a shame the mirror is not internally adjustable :(

[​IMG]

Good point about judging the distance, evident from the silver car in the wing mirror and Aero Blind.

Brian

9. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

If you got rid of the sticker on window you could use the small one down the bottom, they are electrically movable

• Like Like x 2
  10. Techno

The bottom one is for that purpose exactly

• Like Like x 1
  11. Speve

Speve Funster

Yes when we had our Autotrail the bottom mirrors were really very good didn't need any thing extra.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brian_K

Right.....I'll have a look at that tomorrow when it's light. The sticker is for the alarm and was put there by the dealer.

I thought the lower mirrors were for checking kerb location etc. when reversing (I have a lot to learn about motorhomes)

Think I'd still leave the Aero Blinds on though, to late to take them off, I've named the van Micky Mouse :D

Brian

13. Techno

No they are wide angle Brian, they show what is immediately alongside you.
    When you said a blind spot I thought you meant because of the side of the van like mine having no window

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brian_K

My main worry has been acutely angled junctions, although vehicles alongside have been of concern. I'll have a good play around tomorrow until I come up with a setting that works best for me.

Brian

15. Techno

Set them as far out as they go and car windscreen height (y)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Being a solo traveller with a Boxer I have the same blindspot problem. I'm approaching it from a different angle (pun intended). I just ordered this with the intention of mounting the camera below the nearside mirror in the hope it will allow me to view (via the monitor) blindspot traffic. I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives. Please let us know how your solution progresses.

• Like Like x 1
  17. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

My main concern would be that when the inevitable tractor/white van incident occurrs, the expense will even more if thr mirror assembly is smashed off, as mine was 2 years ago. But then, I'm a tightar*e!

18. Speve

Speve Funster

I have same problem although my van is LHD and the pillar behind passenger seat blocks view on roundabouts where I can't pull up square I have small camera spare that will work off my radio head unit thinking the same as you I will watch with interest.
    At the moment I have taped a spare Ducato mirror glass to the sun visor which gives me quite a good angle but of course the visor is down all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Brian_K

Finally got to go out and try the Aero Blinds (they didn’t fall off, so that was a bonus), although a little fog and constant rain didn’t help much with visibility.

As Andy suggested I manoeuvred the lower mirrors into position. The problem I had with these was they are well below my natural line of sight, taking longer to look at and consequently diverting my vision/attention for more than I would like.

The Aero Blinds were easier and quicker to use, being pretty much at head height. As has been mentioned they lengthen the true distance of any object (by about a factor of 2x), so something to be very wary of.

Both mirrors (Aero and lower) have their advantages and disadvantages, at least for me, but at £17 something each for the Aero's, money well spent.

Brian