Blind Spot Mirrors... What is your view ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Aug 27, 2016.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

In the car I always look over my shoulder before pulling out or overtaking.. can't do in LHD motorhome driving in the UK.. On the continent it's not an issue

I had one on each of the big Hymer mirrors.. stuck to the bottom half of the mirror by previous owner.. . but I found them a bit confusing and not very helpful.. so had them off today to see what I could see without them..

As far as I can determine without a test drive, I can see just as much or enough to check for vehicles by the side before pulling out to overtake..

Any views on this..

Do you have them, like them or find then of little value ?
    What type do you have.. stick on, clip on .. or none.. ?

I may be persuaded to buy others that clip on, rather than stick on to existing mirror..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Especially useful for drivers of LHD vehicles in the U.K., although there's no substitute for the check over the shoulder as many people would be dumbstruck at what size of vehicle can be hidden in their blindspot(s)

I find our electrically operated & heated ones on our cars & MH very useful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

As an ex trucker it's a nightmare, in the Moho I have the standard Boxer door mirrors with rear and wide angled lenses but I also keep a good eye on the rear view cameras as it helps a lot.
    I saw a program the other night with the presenter sat in the cab of a truck, looking in all the available mirrors, rear, wide angle, top of door looking down. Now I know it was a set up staged for the program but there were four cyclists directly in front of the truck you couldn't see from the drivers seat and twelve cyclists and a Range Rover in a brind spot on the near side. Frightening! I would hate to drive a truck into London these days, it was bad enough fifteen years ago when I was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I had the same problem driving in the UK and had been caught out a couple of times by a vehicle sitting in my blind spot on motorways or duel carriageways when they are just slowly creeping past you. If I leant forward I could overcome it...but a bit of a pain!

My problem was resolved by a fellow funster that recommended this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371139493644?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's made a considerable amount of difference. Before sticking it on I tried it on various parts of the mirror and found where I've now stuck it to be the best place. Just back from a tour up to Scotland and back and not a single 'toot' for pulling out wrongly!

Post edit: I should add that I did have a second pair of mirrors already fitted when I bought the MH. They were on the bar just below the existing ones. I found it awkward having to look in the main mirrors and then the additional ones. I took them off in France one day and threw them in the bin! I find this little 'stick on' quite adequate.

Post post edit: I can even see if the steps down!

IMG_1024.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    The Double mirrors on the lorry,were a great help,we have electric mirrors on the m/home,plus little ones built into the housing,i often move the leccy ones. to see, if i am at a bad junction.(And check first wifes..."Its clear" that brings on a tirade of abuse from her...Whats new LOL)
    The new rules for lorry mirrors seem to cover most spots,however, there is no substitute for keeping up awareness and knowing whats about you.No amount of mirrors,will save you from a half wit,so be a FULL wit,and see them first.
    Tea Bag...... "What bus......?"

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I find the little blind spot mirrors on the Ducato are perfect, I had no issues driving on the continent, just need to make sure they are correctly adjusted.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lorryman100

Lorryman100 Funster

I opted for the Milenco blind spot mirrors which attach the same way as their towing mirrors. These were the closest I found for that came as standard look,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. TerryL

TerryL Funster

IMHO you can't have enough information about traffic or other obstacles around you so I think blind-spot mirrors are a must. I've found that even with the standard Ducato mirrors, properly adjusted, there is still a blind spot just alongside on the offside which I cover by moving forward a bit in the seat. As for the rear, I've got a reversing camera but I'm looking to change it for a dual lens type so I've got a permanent view directly behind - you still get idiots driving far too close and "disappearing" from the mirrors.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    just an observation. You can get all sorts of mirror glass,some show the view as is,but some are "Convex/cave ?" and the vehicles although can be seen,are sometimes nearer/further away ? than you think,(You do get used to it)so check out which suits you best. If you are going to hit anything,hit something cheap or soft.
    Tea Bag

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

a blind spot mirror it needs to be convex.. otherwise it wouldn't see anymore than the mirror is glued to. .

and it'd makes things look further away .. so less chance of hitting them :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Bart

Bart Funster

I find the mirrors on our Fiat Ducatto Bessacar E560 not the best as the small pillar on the drivers window can partially obstruck my view meaning i have to lean forwards at times.
    i also have a problem with the whole mirror assembly moving inwards slightly while driving and i seem to be unable to find a way to tighten up the mechanism , but thats for another thread as i need to get that sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Used to teach HGV in an Artic.. and one failure to check the "Blind spot" by looking out, and down, out of the cab window was an instant fail on the test..
    Mitch.

• Like Like x 1