Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Anyone done this before , just back from Moffat first outing since habitation check done , found no heating investigated and found boiler drain valve still open from the check, closed it filled up system but not heating properly towel rail is hot but front of motorhome not much heat coming through radiators think it needs bled anyone done this process.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
The boiler drain valve only drains the hot water tank side, not the radiator heating fluid, so unless it's a coincidence there is no reason why draining the hot water tank would introduce air into the heating circuit, they are 2 completely different circuits.

I drain my boiler at least once a year to re-pressure the tank which is in the Alde manual.

There will be many many bleed valves located along the heating circuit and every manufacture places these in different places so all you can do is trace every pipe which may involve removing furniture and cupboards to locate and simply turn the bleed valve until the antifreeze starts to come out and do that with each valve (could be up to 15 in a large mh)

Don't forget to top up the header tank as you go.

If possible try and park your van on a slope and start with the lowest valve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hi Guys
Thanks for the info hot water is ok no issues with it , just the radiators will try and bleed them and see how it goes , got to be something simple like air in system , radiator anti freeze level is ok

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
I drain my boiler at least once a year to re-pressure the tank which is in the Alde manual.

Hi, can you explain what you mean by re pressurising the tank?

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
I'm thinking there is air in the system somehow maybe from the habitation check , hot water is ok just radiators seem to have hardly any hear from them

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, can you explain what you mean by re pressurising the tank?
Similar to a hot water tank in your house, the tank fills from the bottom and the tank is sealed so when you refill it creates a pressure gap at the top to maintain pressure. The Alde manual advises to re pressurise it yearly by dumping the water via the drain valve then refilling.

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Similar to a hot water tank in your house, the tank fills from the bottom and the tank is sealed so when you refill it creates a pressure gap at the top to maintain pressure. The Alde manual advises to re pressurise it yearly by dumping the water via the drain valve then refilling.
tonight's bed time reading then...!!

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
tonight's bed time reading then...!!
This is the extract from the manual:
THE DOMESTIC HOT

WATER HEATER

The boiler is tted with a built-in warm water heater with a volume of approx. 8.5-litres fresh water. The warm water heater can produce around 12 litres
of 40°C water per half-hour (at a cold water temperature of 10°C). If the heat ing cartridges are used instead of gas for heating the boiler, the capacity is slightly reduced.

Always rinse out the heater before it is used, particularly if it has not been in operation for some time.
NB! The hot water is not intended for drinking or cooking. When the heater is in continuous use, it should be emptied approx. once a month, to ensure that a new air cushion is formed in the heater. The air cushion is essential for absorb ing pressure surges in the heater. For emptying specially-adapted boilers, as well as any other freshwater systems in the vehicle, please refer to the manu facturer’s instructions.

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
What model number are you referring too. Mine is the ALDE 3020

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Hmmmn, slightly confused as I have had two MH's with the Alde system and spent at least 200 nights in each one per year so we are using the system, Hot water for 4 Showers a day, 2x Morning, 2x Evening plus everything else. The Heating running 24/7 for Months on end and yet I have never had to touch/maintain anything!

What about the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" method!!!

I do find if you go looking for trouble you will find it or create it!! Therefore, I'll stick to the above method.

Brian.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Guys
Thanks for the info hot water is ok no issues with it , just the radiators will try and bleed them and see how it goes , got to be something simple like air in system , radiator anti freeze level is ok
They should not have touched the radiator side of the ALDE at a hab check other than checking the antifreeze level possibly,

Are you sure that the pump is running?

Martin

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My friend has a Columbus with underfloor heating and that stopped working afte 8 months, he went beck to Belgium and they found it sludged up , it runs on antifreeze mix which should not do it as it supposed to be inhibited . I think you need to flush it properly to get the same stuff out of yours.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My friend has a Columbus with underfloor heating and that stopped working afte 8 months, he went beck to Belgium and they found it sludged up , it runs on antifreeze mix which should not do it as it supposed to be inhibited . I think you need to flush it properly to get the same stuff out of yours.
I drained ours after we had the van 4 years but most likely 10 years without being touched, it was as clean as "a man called David"(y) so I just filled it up again with fresh antifreeze mix and bled it.

Martin

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Went on a visit to Alde in Wellingborough last Friday so from the service manager.
To prolong the life of the boiler it is essential to maintain the air pocket in the boiler,just open the drain tap for 5 seconds every ten days when in continuous use (y)

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hi funfair you have me wondering now if they have turned off the pump when emptying the boiler, I will check it out when I'm at the van later this week the system on our bolero is the Alde 3010 model

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The gap at the top is an expansion space.
water expands as it gets hot and if there's nowhere for it to go it could burst the boiler or blow off a water pipe.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi funfair you have me wondering now if they have turned off the pump when emptying the boiler, I will check it out when I'm at the van later this week the system on our bolero is the Alde 3010 model
Totally different system so should not have needed to, what is the controller for the heating side? is it the basic slide switches or digital?

Martin

OP
OP
Trout bum

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
The controller is digital alde 3010 if that helps

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If possible try and park your van on a slope and start with the lowest valve.
Then, as suggested by Alde, turn round and get the other end high and bleed again.
When I did my caravan I had to raise the jockey wheel and sit the hitch on the ground, bleed, then jack up the front and bleed again.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Anyone done this before , just back from Moffat first outing since habitation check done , found no heating investigated and found boiler drain valve still open from the check, closed it filled up system but not heating properly towel rail is hot but front of motorhome not much heat coming through radiators think it needs bled anyone done this process.
Are you running it on gas or electric? If electric what wattage?

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Have you tried seeing if the pump speed is adjusted to about 2-3 which will actually send the glycol mix around the system.

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Any higher than that and you'll find the header tank starts gurgling!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back