Blackberry 64gb playbook only £129 (1 Viewer)

TheHat

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2012
thurrock
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2012
downloading

how long does it take to download ? so far been 1 hour and i'm only at 37%

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
how long does it take to download ? so far been 1 hour and i'm only at 37%

I guess that depends on your download speed..

mine took about 10 mins and another few minutes to reboot .. but don't get over excited.. so far I am totally underwhelmed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
2.1 update

well, had some time to look at the new features on 2.1

email can now be used in portrait mode so that makes it easier to type using thumbs .. hmm big deal I thought, :RollEyes:

You can send and receive BB Messages when connected to bridge.. .. When I read the blurp I thought it meant you could use the phone carriers text service .. but not so ... unless I've missed it somehow ..

all in all .. underwhelmed .. and not that impressed.. I was hoping for more.. like being able to use the USB port to connect my camera and download the pics..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Did the update and now it won't connect to my pc. :Doh: I am running Windows 7, BB manager just sits there trying to connect, but without success, getting a bit hacked of with this.

Ian

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Crackberry forum threads suggest rebooting PB at least twice (if not more) and even letting it sit quietly in a corner for awhile. Seems like it needs a bit of space & time to sort itself out and run a few processes in the background.
For example... My 16gb took over an hour before it re-populated my calendar & appointments.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Did some googling langtoflad and one of the suggestions was to disable the wireless, so I did that, reinstalled the drivers and its now connected. :Smile:

Ian

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have looked down the list of things that have been changed/improved and nothing strikes me as necessary for me. I am forgoing this upgrade and waiting till OS 10 come out...

I am not like these apple fans who queue for hours outside a shop to get the very latest. I look to see if there is anything there worth having before upgrading. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I sort of agree with you, but have upgraded anyway :ROFLMAO:

Browser seems faster, no empirical evidence.
I like the portrait mode for email & calendar.
I prefer the "presentation" of Android Apps in separate windows as per native apps, rather than in one android player window.
One surprise, I've not seen mentioned, is the unexpected appearance of predictive text on the keyboard, such as now. Seems to be quite… erm, predictive :RollEyes:

I think most of the significant gains are when the PB is paired with a BB phone and perhaps some functionality is improved.

So, not the revolution some enthusiasts seem to have expected, but maybe evolution which is good.
It's very easy to get caught up in the nitty gritty of the minutiae that the needs endlessly debate but the ultimate truth is that the PlayBook simply does most of what can be expected of any tablet at any price let alone the bargain basement price now being charged.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I spent about 10 minutes or so trying to get an android app loaded onto it and gave up. I don't really need it and I have a lot of demands on my time at the moment. As soon as one of the tutorials mentioned loading java onto my windows computer I declined.

Is it now easier to run Android apps or will I still need to side load them via my PC and is there still a requirement to install Java on my computer?

Thanks

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
1). Yes android apps still need to be sideloaded.

2). Java? Dunno. Haven't actually tried yet. Got as far as installing DDBM which mentions java but I haven't installed it though it might already be on my pc .
Haven't actually found an android app that I positively must have :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I spent about 10 minutes or so trying to get an android app loaded onto it and gave up. I don't really need it and I have a lot of demands on my time at the moment. As soon as one of the tutorials mentioned loading java onto my windows computer I declined.

Is it now easier to run Android apps or will I still need to side load them via my PC and is there still a requirement to install Java on my computer?

Thanks

I mentioned Playbook Manager extension in an earlier post (you may have missed it, ) it doesn't use Java . It runs in either Chrome or Firefox..

Not only can you manage the android apps but also the native ones..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Are these play books permanently "on" like an iPad or do you need to go through start up?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Are these play books permanently "on" like an iPad or do you need to go through start up?

I leave mine on permanently, the screen backlight has a time-out for battery and 'plugged in' which can be set from 90sec to 5 mins..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Got a reply to my email from ther service side yesterday at 17.40, so about 36 hours to reply, not exactly swift. It suggested I went through the process of reloading the op sys. As you needed to connect it to the computer, and it wouldn't do that, I can't see that would have worked.

Ian

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
As you needed to connect it to the computer, and it wouldn't do that, I can't see that would have worked.
Ian
You seem to be having a few issues with your PB's - this is the second right, you returned the first one?
Not sure why you need to be connected to your pc to reload the update, if you've got wifi working - can be done directly by the PB.

What version of Blackberry manager are you using on your PC - I seem to recall having an issue using the one that installed when I first connected my PB to my PC. As you couldn't connect your first PB either, I suspect this might be the problem.
It was simply solved by installing the latest version onto my pc directly from BlackberryBBM 7.1 Download

As to 36 hours for a reply to your email being tardy - I would have thought 36 hours being pretty good given the time change, that they probably have a high workload immediately after this software release, and plenty of new customers with the recent price drop.
I would have thought taking the advice given earlier by Beachcaster to phone the free helpline would have got you your instant response.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I mentioned Playbook Manager extension in an earlier post (you may have missed it, ) it doesn't use Java . It runs in either Chrome or Firefox..

Not only can you manage the android apps but also the native ones..

Thanks Jim, I didn't realise it did the android sideloading as well. I will load it up later and give it a try :thumb:

Olley, Have you tried a hard reset? Hold the volume up and down buttons down then press and hold the power button until it restarts..

Treacle, Mine is permanently on. The power button sets it to standby when not in use and it is instant on when you press it again.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi guys my problems were with the first one, which PCW exchanged Tuesday night, apart from a bit of hassle last night the replacement is working fine.

The reason I said their fix wouldn't have worked, was because the touch screen apart from showing you the home page, was dead, and it wouldn't connect to the computer. So no way to reload the op. sys.

Ian

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Been playing with the book reader app. but still prefer the kindle app, it just seems more polished and you get the covers, be even better if it recognized folders.

Still got the same oddity on my win7 laptop, I have to turn off the playbooks wifi before it will connect via usb, after I connect I can turn it back on, and its all ok. Shop computer running XP is fine.

Ian

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Went to PC world today to have a look at these as we have been thinking of getting a tablet, Ed also was ready for a new phone.

Found them in store but even better for us they had a offer on the Tablet and a Blackberry phone with unlimited texts, 1oo mins talk time and 500mg for £20.50p a month. So did not have to pay for the tablet or phone.

So now to find out how to work them. :Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Carol if you don't do much surfing, 500meg maybe enough, I am on 15gig with my mifi and twice in the last 18 months have used it all. It can be quite expensive to go over your limit.

Ian

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Carol if you don't do much surfing, 500meg maybe enough, I am on 15gig with my mifi and twice in the last 18 months have used it all. It can be quite expensive to go over your limit.

Ian

It has the choice of logging on to the home hub for surfing at home or the mifi when we are in the van, but we will keep a eye on it thanks for the warning.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Sorry Carol I forgot some people still live in a house and have broadband. ::bigsmile: Our Mifi is our only source of internet access, apart from when I went over the limit, then I used the phone as an access point for a couple of days. Three wanted £10 per 100meg which is a bit steep when you pay £18 per month for 15gig

Ian

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Went to PC world today to have a look at these as we have been thinking of getting a tablet, Ed also was ready for a new phone.

Found them in store but even better for us they had a offer on the Tablet and a Blackberry phone with unlimited texts, 1oo mins talk time and 500mg for £20.50p a month. So did not have to pay for the tablet or phone.

So now to find out how to work them. :Smile:

Should have put that if picks up bt open zone , cloud access through Phones 4 U, and and other wif spots available, but still forwarded is fore armed. Have not set the tablet up yet though.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well have managed to get the phone and the tablet loaded and working and got them bridged (all by our selves :Smile:) where we are stuck is we have seen Jim's link for the Kindle but not sure how to get it on to the Play Book.

If any one can give me a few instructions I would be grateful.
I have sideloaded some photos and that works very easily.

thanks.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well have managed to get the phone and the tablet loaded and working and got them bridged (all by our selves :Smile:) where we are stuck is we have seen Jim's link for the Kindle but not sure how to get it on to the Play Book.

If any one can give me a few instructions I would be grateful.
I have sideloaded some photos and that works very easily.

thanks. [/QUOTE

Hi Carol .. rather than type it, up here is a walk through from Crackberry.
don't be put off by what may look like a lot of bother, it really is dead easy ..

follow the steps and , including the download for the DDPB installer, If you get get stuck shout out

http://crackberry.com/how-sideload-android-apps-playbook-os-v20-use-android-app-player

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...or you could simply go to the App store and shell out a whole pound sterling on the "Bookreader for EPUB and Kindle Books" ::bigsmile:.

Or just buy a Kindle - you've saved a bundle on the PB over other tablets.
E-Ink much better for your eyes and more restful for your brain than using a backlit screen... News Report.
Works better in the sunshine too!

Battery life is far superior, lasts days not hours.
Kindle and PB still weigh less than and iPad - can both use the same charger.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
...or you could simply go to the App store and shell out a whole pound sterling on the "Bookreader for EPUB and Kindle Books" ::bigsmile:.

Or just buy a Kindle - you've saved a bundle on the PB over other tablets.
E-Ink much better for your eyes and more restful for your brain than using a backlit screen... News Report.
Works better in the sunshine too!

Battery life is far superior, lasts days not hours.
Kindle and PB still weigh less than and iPad - can both use the same charger.

I would recommend an ereader as well for books. Much much better.

Using a tablet for reading a book is a bit like using a hammer to put a screw in. It works but is not the best way:thumb:

I have a sony ereader for a few years now and love it for reading books. I prefer it to real books these days.

The playbook however is better for magazines and newspapers.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Could not agree more, would not be without my 3g Kindle, its just for Ed to put a few books on when we are away in the van.

Having a great time with the play book finding out about it. Son-in-law getting one now.

Will have a look at the different links. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back