Black waste Dump at Cobham services M25

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Lindacarole, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Lindacarole

Lindacarole Funster

Hi

As a couple of others have picked this up from a post yesterday,

At the M25 Cobham services ( on the Southside ) you can pay at the garage to dump black waste. A large notice at the caravan / motorhome parking area tells you the details.

I don't know of any other Motorway services that offer this , do you ??

regards

Linda

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Great news. Will be handy for many people.

Although there are many in France, Italy etc that offer borne facilities as well as some supermarkets. I think the likes of tescos etc should catch on.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think Cobham is the only MSA with such a facility. It is mainly aimed at coaches and was, I think, designed in from the start (Cobham is one of the latest MSAs to open).

It is probably unlikely that retrospective provision can be made at other MSAs as the economic case could not be made.

4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Do you know how much they charge?

I guess if aimed at coaches it might be on the high side for the relatively small amounts even black tanks hold, certainly to dump a cassette could be pricey per litre if it is a flat rate charge, but better empty than desperate to use it I guess at any price (y)

edit, I have found this on their web site, still don't know how much they might charge for a cassette or black tank though, but they might be generous :)

'A Coach Toilet Drop facility was added to the Shell garage, free for coaches with 25 or more passengers'

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Pilote87

Pilote87 Funster

Along the same lines - there is a dump point at Eurotunnel, designed for coaches, but available to all. It is on the left at the far end of the coach / motorhome parking area.
    J

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

:thanks4:

@scotjimland

Brilliant Jim, no idea how you find these things so quickly, but many thanks

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

the last few times we have been, the UK side at least has always been taped off and out of use, it appears to be a free facility though, but not noticed one on the French side? (y)

9. scotjimland

well, I may as well be the first to say it ..

£5 to dump is a bit rich if you are only emptying a 17lt cassette ...

and the water isn't for drinking

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Like anything Jim, if people are willing to pay a price then companies will charge it. I would guess that, as much as anything, it is set at that level to put people off. The facility is really there for coaches because MSAs love coaches - or, more especially, their passengers who spend money in the shops and cafes.

11. keith

keith Funster

Have a look at this link Graham.
    Not as expensive as I would have thought. Very easy to install over an existing manhole, all it needs is water.
    http://www.ctdp.co.uk/
    I suppose it would depend on how many use it, although with the ever increasing ownership of MH there must be a need.
    This is the very same one used at Loch Lubnaig near callander. Charged me £2 last time I used it.
    £5 is a bit steep but your are talking South East so they will charge more, as they always do.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I agree that the cost of the cassette CDP isn't much, Keith, but that is only one factor. Whilst such a unit would be OK for individuals it wouldn't meet the needs of coaches (or RV owners wanting to empty black tanks).

I knew we had discussed it before and found This Post I made from a couple of years ago. Many existing MSAs simply wouldn't have the space to install a dump point which could be used safely.

13. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

Cobham MSA (M25 J9/10) only offers a toilet drop facility, free to customers who bring 20 or more passengers. See our services page for details. Charges may apply.

Got this off the Xtra website so guess if you're coming up from Calais you could get it free!! ;);)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Lindacarole

Lindacarole Funster

Yes I think it is useful to know, the ccc lets you use their some of their sites for a MH service and I think that is £7 , but you can use all the facilities including showers for the time you are there. So I understand.

Linda

15. keith

keith Funster

To be honest I don't care about coaches Graham, but clearly the Scots have seen the light with their installation at Loch Lubnaig and it's simplicity of installation. No coaches are able to get in that area so their involvement was not contemplated.
    Just shows how things can change as since your other post 2 years ago we now have the situation where they have recognised the need for our type of vehicle to use the facility.
    That has to be a positive in support of all the efforts that you and others have put into the subject

• Like Like x 3
  16. scotjimland

To be honest, I've never had the need to empty a cassette or fill up with water between night stops.. it's the last thing I do before leaving the site or aire..

If it included overnight parking, then it would be more justifiable.. but costing £25 for 3-24 hours, + £5 = £30 it's more expensive than many sites .. as they say

bannatyne-620x349.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

I was looking for a stop over last night and found a msa on the m5 Bristol end offers this facility too. I didn't look too close as it wasn't in the area I wanted, but said MH service point available. Cannot remember the name and not in a position to re search.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

With a cassette al you need is a largish shopping bag put it in and visit the loos to empty it down the bog, quick flush and it is done. £5 to use a coach dump is OTT as it costs them nothing so is profit 99%, a coach would dump a load and that would be worth it for them.

• Like Like x 3
  19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I would never argue against provision of extra facilities, Keith, but the two areas are different.

The developments by Loch Lomond & The Trossachs NPA came about as a response to control anti-social camping and, happily, they were persuaded that there were benefits to making facilities available rather than simply imposing an outright ban on motorhomes.

My comments in the post I mentioned from 2 years ago and in this thread were directed at MSAs, where coaches are of much higher priority than the likes of us folk :)

We have a chance of more developments along the lines of Loch Lubnaig, if we can provide sound arguments for individual places, but the same arguments are unlikely to apply to MSAs.

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Unfortunately, the approach of too many people is less responsible and they don't mind what state they leave public toilets in. As one water company told me:

• Like Like x 1