Black waste dump advice needed please (1 Viewer)

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
With taking delivery of our RV in the next few weeks I was wondering what people do about dumping black waste at sites.

When I am booking a site what should I be asking them about dumping my black waste or is this generally not an issue?

Many thanks

Gary

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We always found that it was best to ask as some sites are not geared up for RVs waste disposal. If you are booked onto a full service pitch you should have no problems but still check. As ex-RVers we knew what was needed so all of our full service pitches have drain points for black and grey waste water. Make sure that you have ample hose 3" and, if you have a macerator, 1" - 2 x 20m of 3" would be best (make sure you have connectors to join them), and you can get a long flat hose for the macerator. You will not need that length here, but we visited some sites where it was.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've not found many sites with black waste drain points on the pitch and either drive to that point to dump waste when we are leaving or if staying a while we bought a portable waste tote which we use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
When I first got my Classic Hymer 660S I worried about the black water emptying but soon had developed a list of all the places I could do the deed. So now I am fine.

However, after getting a demonstration of a properly fitted and prepared macerator system by Nigel (Sundowners) at Malvern a little while back, I saw that that was the very best way to go, if you have the space.

He just winds out an ordinary looking hose pipe and pops the end in a loo or dumping tank (it can even go uphill) and presses the buttons.

The macerator does its work and he is sorted for another few weeks. Brilliant.

If I were to get a biggish RV with a holding tank it would be the first thing I got fitted (after the Pie cupboard of course).

JJ :cool:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Hi - I often use fully serviced pitches - but never yet found one that includes drainage for the black tank. Here in uk I think fully serviced means there is hookup and a standpipe tap, with a drain cover underneath, and they will magnanimously let you drain grey water through the grating, but its certainly not ideal, and the black tank still needs to be emptied at the motorhome service point.

I went off on my first trip with no hose pipe for water and about 5ft length of hose for black and similar for grey, with the result I couldn't reach most places. I have only ever found one proper drive over emptying station - which was great / grate! :) :)

I now have a selection of RhinoHoze which I find far less trouble than the macerator I bought before starting and found too heavy and awkward for me to use comfortably. Plus the lay flat hose which was supplied with it is a nightmare when you are emptying on your own.

But if you are fit it would probably be fine.

Deleted User
When I first got my Classic Hymer 660S I worried about the black water emptying but soon had developed a list of all the places I could do the deed. So now I am fine.

However, after getting a demonstration of a properly fitted and prepared macerator system by Nigel (Sundowners) at Malvern a little while back, I saw that that was the very best way to go, if you have the space.

He just winds out an ordinary looking hose pipe and pops the end in a loo or dumping tank (it can even go uphill) and presses the buttons.

The macerator does its work and he is sorted for another few weeks. Brilliant.

If I were to get a biggish RV with a holding tank it would be the first thing I got fitted (after the Pie cupboard of course).

JJ :cool:

I have a little used macerator and some pipe,not lay flat though, here with me in Cabanas that I will let go for a small consideration if you(or anyone else)are interested.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
As said

The RV tank is large enough to not worry about emptying every day or week, sometimes you just have to carry it around until the opportunity arises.

The c&cc have a day rate that allows emptying and refil for a small charge, but we do not generally have a problem, just have two rhino hoses that get is sorted in most places. Most sites even if there is not a dedicated dump, a quiet friendly word to the warden will find a sewer cover than can be lifted

Adrian

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Hi - I often use fully serviced pitches - but never yet found one that includes drainage for the black tank.

This is why we said always ask - but if you are in France and visit us, you'll be able to do just that - grey and black water into a drain on your pitch. As Rvers we knew this was a key point, and you can dump all liquids in the motorhome service point and all full service pitches here.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Something like Broken Link Removed is ideal if you don't want to "decamp" and drive to the emptying point.

I happen to have a little used one that I imported from the States if anyone is interested please PM me

Andrew

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
AS JJ pointed out ------a Macerator and 3/4" hose in several lengths is all you need----------lay-flat is too much hassle I reckon-----We did use a 3" hose for GROUND LEVEL dumps--Alas our latest van has no black, we miss it badly:(
Nigel & Pamala

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
I hope to have a 5th wheel RV in the next few months and I plan to get a composting separater system they call it Natures Head. You them use your black tank as an extra gray tank. This will give me more capacity before having to empty. In my case I will have a capacity of about 70 gal of gray. The liquid side you empty in any toilet every few days and the compost bit (solids) you use any compost area every month or so. Look it up on YouTube.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Mines got a big onboard waste tank but in times of no dump i use an aquaroll waste carrier it`s not ideal but I have emptied both tanks into , making several trips to the dump point. A lot of campsites don`t cater for RVs so can be a problem :(:(:(:(:(:(

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
No Black Dump at ground level? You need a Waste carrier. I have (had) a Fiamma roll tank. which I (could) fill and empty every couple of days or so. I made a tow rig which allowed me to tow it behind SWMBO`s Mobility scooter!. We also had a Macerator, which was probably the best device providing you can reach a "Sewer".

Note:- You have to be careful, but SOME Spanish sites which have "grey" outlets on the pitch are combined and actually exit into the foul sewer!! MACERATED Effluent could be disposed of that way too???. (not that I have actually done it of course!).

Take no notice of the r-v in the avtar, That was in the USA where most if not all pitches HAVE sewers, and water and power!!.

Pete.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
We spend most of our time on CL type sites. Learnt very early on that needed something to get said waste from A to B, Got a bit of a strange system on our van, black waste tank, shower/kitchen grey tank and a tank the same size just for the handbasin in the bathroom. All three have separate valves but come out the same pipe.

I have the shower/kitchen valve open whilst on site draining into one of these which I then empty each day, or when required.
www.johnscross.co.uk/products/wastemaster-waste-water-tank.html

I then use one of these to empty the black into, about once a week 4 containers full.
www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiamma-roll-tank-40-litre-grey-waste-tank.html

I think in 7 years using the van I have only ever used a drive over black point maybe twice.

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
The more I think about this black tank the more the Natures head composting toilet sounds like a great idea. To empty this tank is going to be a problem at times I am sure. The composting toilet makes it easy. The idea of having to empty a small cassette type every two or three days is still not good. To empty the liquid bottle only into the black tank seems a much better idea.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The idea of having to empty a small cassette type every two or three days is still not good. To empty the liquid bottle only into the black tank seems a much better idea.

You really don't seem to be too sure! I've used a large RV in the States and the tree inch pipe we had to connect there worked fine, but I'm totally happy with my cassette thank you.

Nice to see this old thread back up and running, you can't get enough Black waste threads

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
@Jim Is hardcore! I've seen him slop out using a bucket :Eeek:

I normally dump at home, but I own a campsite lol so it is slightly different.

Our campsite is not on mains sewerage so we have a chemical treatment plant for our amenity block which we do not use for chemical toilets. They are emptied in to holding tanks which we in turn pay to be emptied.:crying:

Consequently if a RV comes in for one night and wants to dump the black tank we make a charge to cover our costs. If an RV is staying a few days we are happy to let them use the dump facility without an extra charge.

Conversely, if some one wants to decant their poo into a Tote tank or similar and empty in the European dump we have no issue with that, as people only then tend to do what is necessary, and not run backwards and forwards to the dump with a load of grey water that can be disposed of easier.

In essence if you turn up with 30 -40 gallons of black waste accumulated somewhere else and dump that followed by 30 -40 gallons of grey waste to flush it all out and stay one night, we are actually out of pocket, hence our policy.

I have just asked in the office and we pay £148.00 per 1000 gallons, so £0.15 a gallon So as I say, an RV coming in with full tanks, not staying a few nights would be charged to use our dump facility, or could decant for free.

A lot of the more modern continental sites have super pitches, and we personally tend to favour the sites in the UK that have city water, black and grey dump facilities on the pitch. These sites tend to be more expensive, but as Lyn and I still work, holidays and weekends away tend to focus more on comfort and relaxation over than cost as they are few and far between

Good luck with your new RV, there are many of us on the forum that have had many RV's over the years so if you need any help just yell

Eddie

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
ask at most campsites and they may allow you to empty down a sewer manhole.
up to now its worked ok for us

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I think Eddie is right wth his charge idea there is a coach company near me who charge £10.00 to dump black and grey waste from RVs they will also let you fill with water. I use an Aquaroll for mine but have to make several trips to empty it(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i have a 27 gallon tote tank, never had to use it yet.
better than an aquaroll

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
i have a 27 gallon tote tank, never had to use it yet.
better than an aquaroll

That is going to weigh over 100kg, hope it has got some good wheels (y) and dread to think how will you lift it up to an elsan :)

I carry a cassette, but like you it is still unused, at least I can use it at a raised elsan point if needed

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
That is going to weigh over 100kg, hope it has got some good wheels (y) and dread to think how will you lift it up to an elsan :)

I carry a cassette, but like you it is still unused, at least I can use it at a raised elsan point if needed
it has got good wheels and you just dump same as your black tank.
just use a 3"hose:LOL:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I had a similar issue with the R-V. Which might have something to do with the Hernia?.:( The CC one`s are higher than most!:(.

pete

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I had a similar issue with the R-V. Which might have something to do with the Hernia?.:( The CC one`s are higher than most!:(.

pete

That's the reason we only carry a Fiaama 29 litre tote for the rare occasions we need to decant - with care and common sense we can go between 7 and 10 days on a black tank and similar on our shower grey and near 20 days on the kitchen grey tank. We fill with water on arrival and use a couple of 5 litre cans for fresh water for tea and coffee and usually get 6 or 7 days then have a small aquaroll for to pump into the fresh tank as necessary. in fairness we seldom stay on one site for more than 7 days so seldom need the back up options

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back