Black tanks and toilet paper in Yanks

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by slobadoberbob, Sep 7, 2010.

1. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

It came about from a thread I was reading this morning about Peter giving a 5% discount at John's Cross Campers (see Peter a plug) so I wanted to know how much of my toilet rolls I need at Bath and West.

I have always in my American motor homes used the thin paper recommended and added the correct measures of the breakdown stuff (Imported) but as suggested by Graham have any of you used normal paper? does it work or does it bung up the valves and dump pipes on a yank?

I cannot really back hose, although I do use a wand to spray out via the hose down the toilet.

Your thoughts?

Bob:Eeek:

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Bob
    We lived in our RV for three years and never used anything but normal bog roll nor used any chemicals, in fact, you shouldn't use chemicals, they only inhibit the natural breakdown of the solids by killing the bacteria .

If you have an odour issue check that the tank vent pipe to the roof isn't blocked or has slipped down into the tank.

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Agree with Jims post 100%, have never used any chemicals and only use supersoft paper on me bottom.:BigGrin:

4. slobadoberbob

no smells

No we do not have smells at all and I can see the vent pipe so that is good... just the question of costs v the expensive paper on offer and the normal bog roll from the supermarket. Just following the instructions in the hand book... we add these pouches we buy in the USA - make them smell better and they break it down it says.. we dump our tanks after every trip and it comes out ok and then flush it and part fill and re add the stuff to the tank for the next trip.

So one says use the normal stuff... anyone else got a view?

Bob:Eeek:

5. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

We have had RV's for over 14 years and only ever used ordinary toilet paper, and never had a problem with the black tank in all those years:thumb::thumb:

Regards Pat

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Whatever works for you Bob.. as they say , if it works, don't fix it .. but I wouldn't waste money on 'fancy' bog roll, el cheapo works just fine ..

If you haven't already, this worth a read Bob

http://www.phrannie.org/macerator.html

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We never put chemicals in the loo. Black tanks are vented to the roof, chemicals are just not needed. We use any type of loo roll. BUT if we are using the macerator we do not use the thick comfy, three ply Labrador puppy type stuff. We use a cheap cash and carry value brand that after we tested it's "disolveability" found it dissolves in a moment and is unlikeley to clog the macerator.

8. slobadoberbob

have not got room to fit a fixed one

I do not have the room to fix a perminate one on the locker - very small locker on the Winnibago Aspect.. Have thought of a portable one, but really it needs to between the tank and the dump valves to get the best results.. just no room as the black tank is between an outer floor and the inside floor..can be a real pain.. but both the grey and balck tank valves are in the same place and come from the right and left to a centre point and then drop down through a hole in the outer floor where I put my hose on.

Bob

9. Colin and Jaen Andrews

Colin and Jaen Andrews Read Only Funster

Black tank

Hi
    We have full timed now for 3 years and use ord loo paper but we do put blue liquid down. Also fill bathroom sink with milton solution and flush that through after grey tank has gone through. Cleans all the hoses and spray with outside shower.

Works a treat for us.:thumb:

We were given so many different ideas when we first started and went for this as did struggled with the idea of not putting any blue in the tank.

Big learning curve with RV and personal choice in the end.

Cheers
    Jaen

10. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Hi Bob

Always use standard bog roll and a non chemical additive which breaks down solids and smells nice.

I hear Izal is making a come back though:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

See you at Shepton I havn't forgotten that mirror

All the best Rick

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

In my post on the other thread I didn't really consider any difference between RVs and the cassette type toilet in our van.

From the point of view of paper I wonder, is there actually any difference? From what I've read over the years I believe all toilet papers are designed to break down reasonably rapidly after use (as opposed to the paper used to make kitchen rolls, for example, which is designed to retain its strength for longer).

It seems reasonable to expect that the thick, quilted, types of paper will take longer to break down than a "standard" two-ply variety but otherwise I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference.

When we bought our van we bought a pack of 4 Thetford rolls but then realised, just by looking at them, that there was little difference between them and the supermarket cheapies so have never bought expensive stuff since. In 4 years we've never had a problem.

As regards chemicals we initially used Thetford blue and then Thetford green but have used Elsan Organic since it came onto the market a couple of years ago. That is in a cassette though, not an RV toilet.

Graham

Graham

12. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Maybe I am just in a daft mood this morning - have not met Bob yet but know he has a St Bernard and uses a wheelchair - that comment gave me a vision of Bob racing down the road in his wheelchair - Ezzie galloping away pull him faster & faster trying to do an ET or Father Christmas type leap into the sky to get on his roof to look at the vent pipes :Rofl1:

Alright I will be sensible for a second - never use chemicals - always use Fiamma toilet paper because we prefer it - seems tougher than most.

13. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

NO, yanks need nowt complicated!

Loo roll, we use triple velvet stuff, we did use little puppies formally but they did cause a problem in our old Yank but that was a combination of slow breakdown of the loo roll and the tank design, in Winne, and your's will likely be the same, the tank design is so much better nothing sould give any issues!

Goo down the loo, no need, we just empty then reuse, no prep, just use. The yank system in working order is that simple.

I don't even feel the need with Winne to flush the tank per se, but I do employ the following routine for the sake of the black 3" valve, so I'll share, we're taliking poo again:Rofl1:

I have an external 3" valve assembly, they are sold as a quick (cheap) fix to leaky valves. Basically, fit and open external valve (ask me a Shepton I'll show you the valve so you know what I'm wittering about), fit hose and stick down hole/connect to roll tank then open Black. When black dump is finished, close external valve, not the black, and open grey for approx 45 secs, then close grey and release external again. What we (I) am achieving is flushing out any last larger 'bits' with the grey waste that could get into the black valve assembly which in time will cause failure. Once this flush has finished I tend to repeat but this time for 15-20 secs, then dump that, close black and open grey to complete the emptying process, simples! The inspiration here was the black valve needed replaced when we got Winne, not because it leaked but because the internal part of the seal was so badly damaged the valve was as stiff as a stiff thing to operate. Now, the previous guy used to use a roll tank like you for emptying alot of the time and I simply figured the repeated closing part way through the dump was probably to blame so using this method with the roll tank puts any valve damage risk onto the external which is far easier to clean/repair than the on board, and lets face it if the onboard gets damaged on the road you have an unpleasant problem to deal with whereas the external you'll manage:thumb:

At the end of the day each to thier own but I like our system, it's simple, quick, doesn't require faffing with hoses and flush devices AND doesn't waste water, which is good, doing my bit for the planet, well until I fire up the 17 to the gallon 6.5 Chevy turbo diesel:Rofl1:

A last note as well, it's been said by other before the haveing a little, err 'debris' left in the tank doesn't hurt and this 'debris' will speed the start of the breakdown process for, err, new debris so by not resorting to fully cleaning and flushing the tank in theory it maximises it's effeciency at doing it's thing.

To date, no nasty niffs, and no problems, simples:thumb:

14. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

There is differences in the way different one breakdown, how sad is this (me):Doh:

In earlier post I reference little puppies and issue on our first RV. I had one of these see through external flushing devices because we had constant issues with Dodge's system. When dumping with little puppies I could so whole un broken down sheets floating through, even after a good few our since the entered the tank and a long drive, and as the issue was loo roll getting jammed in the black valve 2+2 equalled little puppies to slow to dissolve. Changes to the triple velevet whatever and we just saw little fluffy clouds, and frankly no more blocked valve. I'll breifly repeat, the problem on Dodge was party down to bad tank/pipe design.

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I just remembered that there is a short video on the Thetford site - link on This Page, Be your own judge: check out the "Toilet Paper Test".

Easy enough for anyone unconvinced to try that with their ordinary brand of choice. It seems a bit disingenuous to me, though, in that usually I would expect paper to have more than 30 seconds to break down before emptying the cassette/tank :Smile:

Graham

16. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

The newspaper is out then,i suppose buying a bog roll, saves all that newspaper cutting and fixing it on string :Rofl1:

17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Exact opposite of Bio-Magic then.

Bought another lot at Newark ( Start Spangled Banner at a discount ) it seems to do the business in cassettes by encouraging breakdown.

18. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Problem I found with the newspaper was I kept catching my shoulder on the nail in the wall that the newspaper was tied too.
    The shiny paper is no good from magazines....for obvious reasons that am not going into before breakfast.:Eeek:

19. Jim

Jim Ringleader

With an RV and a regular gravity dump you can use any type of paper, and when the handle is pulled on 60 gallons of black, its coming out fast.

I have never yet had the pleasure of opening up and cleaning a jammed macerator. I am sure it will chew up those large clumps of andrex but I'm just not taking the chance that it won't. :Eeek: So when I know I will be macerating I only use the thin single ply:Smile:

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Go on Jim, give it a go. You know you want to :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Graham