Black tanks and toilet paper in Yanks (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It came about from a thread I was reading this morning about Peter giving a 5% discount at John's Cross Campers (see Peter a plug) so I wanted to know how much of my toilet rolls I need at Bath and West.

I have always in my American motor homes used the thin paper recommended and added the correct measures of the breakdown stuff (Imported) but as suggested by Graham have any of you used normal paper? does it work or does it bung up the valves and dump pipes on a yank?

I cannot really back hose, although I do use a wand to spray out via the hose down the toilet.

Your thoughts?

Bob:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Bob
We lived in our RV for three years and never used anything but normal bog roll nor used any chemicals, in fact, you shouldn't use chemicals, they only inhibit the natural breakdown of the solids by killing the bacteria .

If you have an odour issue check that the tank vent pipe to the roof isn't blocked or has slipped down into the tank.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Agree with Jims post 100%, have never used any chemicals and only use supersoft paper on me bottom.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no smells

Hi Bob
We lived in our RV for three years and never used anything but normal bog roll nor used any chemicals, in fact, you shouldn't use chemicals, they only inhibit the natural breakdown of the solids by killing the bacteria .

If you have an odour issue check that the tank vent pipe to the roof isn't blocked or has slipped down into the tank.

No we do not have smells at all and I can see the vent pipe so that is good... just the question of costs v the expensive paper on offer and the normal bog roll from the supermarket. Just following the instructions in the hand book... we add these pouches we buy in the USA - make them smell better and they break it down it says.. we dump our tanks after every trip and it comes out ok and then flush it and part fill and re add the stuff to the tank for the next trip.

So one says use the normal stuff... anyone else got a view?

Bob:Eeek:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We never put chemicals in the loo. Black tanks are vented to the roof, chemicals are just not needed. We use any type of loo roll. BUT if we are using the macerator we do not use the thick comfy, three ply Labrador puppy type stuff. We use a cheap cash and carry value brand that after we tested it's "disolveability" found it dissolves in a moment and is unlikeley to clog the macerator.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
have not got room to fit a fixed one

Whatever works for you Bob.. as they say , if it works, don't fix it .. but I wouldn't waste money on 'fancy' bog roll, el cheapo works just fine ..

If you haven't already, this worth a read Bob

http://www.phrannie.org/macerator.html

I do not have the room to fix a perminate one on the locker - very small locker on the Winnibago Aspect.. Have thought of a portable one, but really it needs to between the tank and the dump valves to get the best results.. just no room as the black tank is between an outer floor and the inside floor..can be a real pain.. but both the grey and balck tank valves are in the same place and come from the right and left to a centre point and then drop down through a hole in the outer floor where I put my hose on.

Bob

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Black tank

Hi
We have full timed now for 3 years and use ord loo paper but we do put blue liquid down. Also fill bathroom sink with milton solution and flush that through after grey tank has gone through. Cleans all the hoses and spray with outside shower.

Works a treat for us.:thumb:

We were given so many different ideas when we first started and went for this as did struggled with the idea of not putting any blue in the tank.

Big learning curve with RV and personal choice in the end.

Cheers
Jaen

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Hi Bob

Always use standard bog roll and a non chemical additive which breaks down solids and smells nice.

I hear Izal is making a come back though:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

See you at Shepton I havn't forgotten that mirror

All the best Rick

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In my post on the other thread I didn't really consider any difference between RVs and the cassette type toilet in our van.

From the point of view of paper I wonder, is there actually any difference? From what I've read over the years I believe all toilet papers are designed to break down reasonably rapidly after use (as opposed to the paper used to make kitchen rolls, for example, which is designed to retain its strength for longer).

It seems reasonable to expect that the thick, quilted, types of paper will take longer to break down than a "standard" two-ply variety but otherwise I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference.

When we bought our van we bought a pack of 4 Thetford rolls but then realised, just by looking at them, that there was little difference between them and the supermarket cheapies so have never bought expensive stuff since. In 4 years we've never had a problem.

As regards chemicals we initially used Thetford blue and then Thetford green but have used Elsan Organic since it came onto the market a couple of years ago. That is in a cassette though, not an RV toilet.

Graham

Graham

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

Maybe I am just in a daft mood this morning - have not met Bob yet but know he has a St Bernard and uses a wheelchair - that comment gave me a vision of Bob racing down the road in his wheelchair - Ezzie galloping away pull him faster & faster trying to do an ET or Father Christmas type leap into the sky to get on his roof to look at the vent pipes :ROFLMAO:

Alright I will be sensible for a second - never use chemicals - always use Fiamma toilet paper because we prefer it - seems tougher than most.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
NO, yanks need nowt complicated!

Loo roll, we use triple velvet stuff, we did use little puppies formally but they did cause a problem in our old Yank but that was a combination of slow breakdown of the loo roll and the tank design, in Winne, and your's will likely be the same, the tank design is so much better nothing sould give any issues!

Goo down the loo, no need, we just empty then reuse, no prep, just use. The yank system in working order is that simple.

I don't even feel the need with Winne to flush the tank per se, but I do employ the following routine for the sake of the black 3" valve, so I'll share, we're taliking poo again:ROFLMAO:

I have an external 3" valve assembly, they are sold as a quick (cheap) fix to leaky valves. Basically, fit and open external valve (ask me a Shepton I'll show you the valve so you know what I'm wittering about), fit hose and stick down hole/connect to roll tank then open Black. When black dump is finished, close external valve, not the black, and open grey for approx 45 secs, then close grey and release external again. What we (I) am achieving is flushing out any last larger 'bits' with the grey waste that could get into the black valve assembly which in time will cause failure. Once this flush has finished I tend to repeat but this time for 15-20 secs, then dump that, close black and open grey to complete the emptying process, simples! The inspiration here was the black valve needed replaced when we got Winne, not because it leaked but because the internal part of the seal was so badly damaged the valve was as stiff as a stiff thing to operate. Now, the previous guy used to use a roll tank like you for emptying alot of the time and I simply figured the repeated closing part way through the dump was probably to blame so using this method with the roll tank puts any valve damage risk onto the external which is far easier to clean/repair than the on board, and lets face it if the onboard gets damaged on the road you have an unpleasant problem to deal with whereas the external you'll manage:thumb:

At the end of the day each to thier own but I like our system, it's simple, quick, doesn't require faffing with hoses and flush devices AND doesn't waste water, which is good, doing my bit for the planet, well until I fire up the 17 to the gallon 6.5 Chevy turbo diesel:ROFLMAO:

A last note as well, it's been said by other before the haveing a little, err 'debris' left in the tank doesn't hurt and this 'debris' will speed the start of the breakdown process for, err, new debris so by not resorting to fully cleaning and flushing the tank in theory it maximises it's effeciency at doing it's thing.

To date, no nasty niffs, and no problems, simples:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
From the point of view of paper I wonder, is there actually any difference? From what I've read over the years I believe all toilet papers are designed to break down reasonably rapidly after use (as opposed to the paper used to make kitchen rolls, for example, which is designed to retain its strength for longer).

It seems reasonable to expect that the thick, quilted, types of paper will take longer to break down than a "standard" two-ply variety but otherwise I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference.

When we bought our van we bought a pack of 4 Thetford rolls but then realised, just by looking at them, that there was little difference between them and the supermarket cheapies so have never bought expensive stuff since. In 4 years we've never had a problem.

Graham

There is differences in the way different one breakdown, how sad is this (me):Doh:

In earlier post I reference little puppies and issue on our first RV. I had one of these see through external flushing devices because we had constant issues with Dodge's system. When dumping with little puppies I could so whole un broken down sheets floating through, even after a good few our since the entered the tank and a long drive, and as the issue was loo roll getting jammed in the black valve 2+2 equalled little puppies to slow to dissolve. Changes to the triple velevet whatever and we just saw little fluffy clouds, and frankly no more blocked valve. I'll breifly repeat, the problem on Dodge was party down to bad tank/pipe design.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I just remembered that there is a short video on the Thetford site - link on This Page, Be your own judge: check out the "Toilet Paper Test".

Easy enough for anyone unconvinced to try that with their ordinary brand of choice. It seems a bit disingenuous to me, though, in that usually I would expect paper to have more than 30 seconds to break down before emptying the cassette/tank :Smile:

Graham

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Agree with Jims post 100%, have never used any chemicals and only use supersoft paper on me bottom.::bigsmile:

The newspaper is out then,i suppose buying a bog roll, saves all that newspaper cutting and fixing it on string :ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
they only inhibit the natural breakdown of the solids by killing the bacteria .

Exact opposite of Bio-Magic then.

Bought another lot at Newark ( Start Spangled Banner at a discount ) it seems to do the business in cassettes by encouraging breakdown.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The newspaper is out then,i suppose buying a bog roll, saves all that newspaper cutting and fixing it on string :ROFLMAO:
Problem I found with the newspaper was I kept catching my shoulder on the nail in the wall that the newspaper was tied too.
The shiny paper is no good from magazines....for obvious reasons that am not going into before breakfast.:Eeek:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
From the point of view of paper I wonder, is there actually any difference?
Graham

With an RV and a regular gravity dump you can use any type of paper, and when the handle is pulled on 60 gallons of black, its coming out fast.

I have never yet had the pleasure of opening up and cleaning a jammed macerator. I am sure it will chew up those large clumps of andrex but I'm just not taking the chance that it won't. :Eeek: So when I know I will be macerating I only use the thin single ply:Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
we dont use chemicals and use ordinary toilet paper, not had a problem yet smell or otherwise

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have never yet had the pleasure of opening up and cleaning a jammed macerator. :

Lucky you .. at one point I was thinking of fitting wing nuts on mine.. :RollEyes:

paper isn't the culprit .. it's long hair that kills macerators .. it gets wound around the shaft until it eventually stalls and blows the fuse .. devils own job when the tank and discharge line are still full of muck

Tip .. always dump tanks AFTER breakfast .. :roflmto:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
paper isn't the culprit .. it's long hair that kills macerators .. it gets wound around the shaft until it eventually stalls and blows the fuse .. devils own job when the tank and discharge line are still full of muck
Tip .. always dump tanks AFTER breakfast .. :roflmto:

Long hair? Your not meant to wash your hair in the loo :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The mirror is still needed

Hi Bob

Always use standard bog roll and a non chemical additive which breaks down solids and smells nice.

I hear Izal is making a come back though:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

See you at Shepton I havn't forgotten that mirror

All the best Rick

Sorry to those that do not follow this post as I did not want to be rude and mention a p.m. Rick and I have been trying to solve an issue with a mirror on a B Class to see the running board area on my Winni.... Still looking Rick.. glad to see you are with us this time, I will actually get to met you. PLUG - still have a box of FREE odds and ends to good homes.. will be under my awning in a box, if something can be of use to you then it is FREE (just to make Roger happy - the exclusion clause dealt with) but seriously folks the items are free, everything from american window flags - fit C or B class .. table supports.. USA duralube transmission oil and engine addative.. unopened and again FREE.. useful for the older engine (not V10's) reversing lamp in a box., door pull strap for a day van early early C class. lots of other odds and ends.. oh yes a propeller that fits in the the Reece tow socket and spins as you drive along.. new unused (as I tow cannot use it)..

Come and have a look... :thumb:

see you at the show Rick... you cannot miss me I am in the Winnibago Aspect (yes I know there are two of them.. I am the good looking one - apologies to the Griffs) we also have the St Bernard.

Bob:RollEyes:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
not far off..

Maybe I am just in a daft mood this morning - have not met Bob yet but know he has a St Bernard and uses a wheelchair - that comment gave me a vision of Bob racing down the road in his wheelchair - Ezzie galloping away pull him faster & faster trying to do an ET or Father Christmas type leap into the sky to get on his roof to look at the vent pipes :ROFLMAO:

Alright I will be sensible for a second - never use chemicals - always use Fiamma toilet paper because we prefer it - seems tougher than most.

On site I use a manual wheelchair around the motor home area, but is a pig on soft grass or if it is wet... if you excuse me people dog S**t takes on a whole different meaning in a wheelchair.. where do you wipe it? Anyway otherwise I use one of these 8 mph electric 4 wheel scooters.. which I can belt about with Ezzie.. boy does she go for long walks.. and yes before you ask there is a Garmin Saterlite on the buggy - no not incase I get lost.. it is to monitor how far and how fast Ezzie has walked to keep an eye on the fact she does not over do it.

I also use the buggy to get water to load the RV as and when needed..

So your idea of me being pulled by her is not far off sometime.

Do not be serious all the time.. it is good to laugh and I never get up set about disabled jokes... now lawyer jokes are something else. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I believe in the biological loo stuff and used to buy loads of it (at £8 a go...)

I read a thread on FUN (may have been a link to another forum) all about how nature will take its course in the black tank provided it is vented etc etc.

I have a porta potti in the Wagon and a holding tank in the Hymer...

I now use this biological washing liquid (just a tiny bit at a time) to help the natural process in both and it seems to be excellent.

95p a litre from Sainsburys...

Attachments

• My Loo Chemical 95p a litre.jpg
    My Loo Chemical 95p a litre.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 18

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Just posted this answer on the other thread - we have been using the blue and white striped toilet roll from tescos for a few years and we use no additives in the tank. We find it works well and have no problems with it breaking down, with or without the macerator. We are fulltiming so use it all the time. Have tried a few different potions that are on the market, thinking that was what one was supposed to use, but to be honest we find the best is to use nothing and the cheapy toilet paper. This is from personal experience.

Nigel and Pamala - Cody, Wyoming, USA

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
OK going to give it a try

Ok we are going to give it a try, normal bog paper, and we may try some of this Sainsbury 95p Biological liquid... half way house sort of thing.

But thank you all for your contributions to my question. It is by asking this sort of thing and getting a response from others that have yanks and understand the issue helps and makes this such a good site to belong to.

Again thank you everyone.

Bob:thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Latest weather forcast for Shepton

[SIZE=-1]Friday
Link Removed
Showers

Max 19°C
Min 11°C[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Saturday
Link Removed
Partially cloudy

Max 19°C
Min 11°C[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sunday
Link Removed
Rain

Max 18°C
Min 12°C[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Monday
Link Removed
Rain

Max 18°C
Min 12°C[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Tuesday
Link Removed
Fog

Max 17°C
Min 9°C[/SIZE]

Looks fairly good for the first 2 days - Obviously Roger didn't spend enough time on his knees :ROFLMAO: Only managed the first 2 days fairly clear

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back