Black tank versus cassette

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Jun 4, 2014.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we had caravanned for years, progressing from porta potties to cassettes, now have a Hymer with black tank approx. volume 120 litres

result we, (I) thought, far less emptying, although in fairness Bev does her share (both filling and emptying!!)

However, emptying a black tank is not always a given

We have found many sites with only a standard elsan type raised ceramic hole in the ground, not much use when you depend on gravity from an outlet only 6" off the floor!!

So, having purchased a builders bucket, and used it a few times to decant a few litres to turn off the red light, carrying it open topped and smelling to the elsan point to avoid moving, or where there was no option to dump, walking in fear of the handle giving way on a CC site roadway:Eeek: what would the wardens make of that:Eeek:

I now own a cassette, to empty my black tank into to move in a more controlled fashion to the elsan point

Progress.................... ??

Better spec................ ??

Who knows

2. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

find the sewer on the road on the site if not get your self a masecater and a smale pump best
    regard lez dawson :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  3. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi David

You nearly have a proper motorhome now:Rofl1:

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

wasn't till after I had posted I had to look agene though I had typed get a masturbator :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1:

But most people will not even work out what either of them meant

Rule 1 was made just for you Bill

But we love you for what you are :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i would have the tank converted to a 3" valterra outlet and use a macerator.

Pump up to around 100ft and to a height of around 10ft through a 5/8th garden hose.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I have seen your spec list Martin, loads to fit yet!! :cry:

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

At last a proper answer, but I am none the wiser yet

We have a macerator on the inlet to the tank, how easy is it to fit (have fitted) these outlet mods?

TERRY what do you reckon :thumb:

9. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. pappajohn

you must have small bore pipework between pan and tank to need a macerator on the inlet.

I guess a it depends on the tank orientation as the 3"outlet is a little bulky to say the least.....but there will be a way.

With a bit more work you could connect the grey tank via 1 3/4" sink waste pipe to the same outlet.

The tank would need a suitable hole cutting to take the 3" pipework, a blade valve is then fitted in an accessible place then the macerator connects to the outlet.

Open the blade valve and turn on the macerator....making certain all connections are sound, black waste under pressure goes a long way if it leaks.
    See Robin Williams in the film 'RV'
    It would also allow gravity dumping over a manhole via a 3" hose.
    I have a 20ft hose for remote manholes and a 3ft hose for drive over manholes.
    I dont recall ever having to use the 20ft one.

Link to an example slide valve....they are cheaper (postage) in the uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Valterra-Twist-On-Waste-Valve-for-RV-Camper-Motorhome-/370620083403?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564aadaccb

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  11. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Many thanks, I am increasingly convinced my MH was a total prototype, we have a toilet that I thought for 6 months was a 'bog' :Rofl1: standard ceramic toilet, it is actually plastic, but 'stuff' goes out the back through approx. 2" horizontal outlet hole, through a macerator which looks more like 3" back into a 1.5" pipe down to black tank

I think my back up cassette option will have to do for now :thumb:

12. pappajohn

that sounds very much like a marine toilet.

Agreed, the cassette is by far the cheapest option

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

What you need is a tote, a large cassette with wheels on one end, designed for the job.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

15. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

16. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I was going to buy one of those, having given 2 away when I sold caravan:Doh:

Decided I could not cope with knowitalls telling me I was emptying grey water in wrong place, when dumping toilet waste in elsans!!

On a much nicer subject just seen photos of your place, brace yourself we are coming soon :thumb::BigGrin:

17. Terry

Terry Funster

I think you should give me that van and buy yourself another :thumb: after all it's full of shit :Wink:
    I would go to a garden center/fish pond place and buy some hose that fits your outlet and simply make a connection so that you can screw it onto your outlet ---On my van the grey is emptied via a quarter turn 3/4 ins ball valve that I simply made a 8 ft ish long bit of hose so that I can extend by screwing it onto the valve --Nothing to stop you doing the same with the black tank obviously you need bigger than 3/4 ins,but it is a easy job once you have the correct parts --You have enough room in the garage to store a very very long extension pipe -Should have mentioned it/ made clear at the fix it meet :Wink:
    You need something like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/full-bore-lever-ball-valve-22mm/30584 but bigger bore to suit your outlet and some pipe /hose type to extend it
    Because mine is 3/4 I simply got about 3 ins of copper pipe fitted the outlet end and shoved it into a 3/4 ins hose - now it's a case of simply screwing it onto the valve and this gives me enough length to go from my outlet at the back to the side when needed :thumb:-You need similar only bigger bore
    terry
    edit forgot to say you could also get another valve to fit your grey that way you can empty the black and then move it onto the grey to flush your pipe

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi David been thinking about this and you already have valves fitted so it's really a case of extending your dump pipes --Measure the external dia of pipe and look at garden cent/fish pond or ebay for a flexible pipe with internal dia of your external dia then it's just a case of pushing the pipe on :thumb:--You must be able to go a few weeks before having to up sticks and go and dump :Wink::Smile:
    terry

19. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks Terry

Problem is when the dump point is too high for the gravity outlet, I already have 4m hose in a side locker, just need it to go uphill!! some small sites especially don't have ground level dumps, worst ones are the standard elsan points

Black tank is not that big, we get red light on after three nights, I think 100 litres or so

:thumb:

20. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi David I think your tanks well above any elsan point /gravity will force it up and over the emptying edge it's only what's left in the lower part of the pipe,pull it off and hold it high :Eeek::BigGrin:
    Only 3 nights :Eeek: you probably have the best solution now then :thumb:
    terry

• Like Like x 1