MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
Pong

Looks intriguiing, just need to find a vent to attach it to now!! But thanks

David
David
In your photo No4 there seems to be possibly a roof vent just near the side door which is where the Cyclone vent would be positioned, as you moved along it draws the pong out with it. When stationary the vent turns to the direction of the prevailing wind & still draws the pong out.

Regards

Arthur.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David
In your photo No4 there seems to be possibly a roof vent just near the side door which is where the Cyclone vent would be positioned, as you moved along it draws the pong out with it. When stationary the vent turns to the direction of the prevailing wind & still draws the pong out.

Regards

Arthur.

That vent is directly above our oven, although it might be coupled in to the toilet vent system this seems unlikely, still hunting!!

David

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Do ovens have roof vents? Pretty sure ours doesn't.

Good point, I don't know either, but it would be odd to bring the black tank vent so far along the MH. But then everything else about this toilet seems to be a one off!! I will go up and have a sniff :Eeek:

David

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Forget the oven. Its nothing to do with the smell, unless of course you are cooking Fray Bentos pies whilst travelling :Eeek:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Forget the oven. Its nothing to do with the smell, unless of course you are cooking Fray Bentos pies whilst travelling :Eeek:

Just wanted to confirm what the only vent I seem to have is doing?

Could it be combined. fridge, oven, black and grey tanks or is that as dafty as it now looks written down :whatthe:

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So would you think the vent on my roof is kitchen related or could it be waste?

Due to position over oven I presumed kitchen hence the sniff test to prove

David

That vent looks like a water heater or gas heater vent to me. More like a gas boiler vent than anything. Switch the boiler on and see if heat rises. If not then switch the boiler off and switch the heating on and see if heat rises. If not it will be the vent to the black tank.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the pillar vent in pic 4 is either the fridge or heater/boiler vent...or even combined

the white vent (pic 3) under the aerial is possibly the tank vent....doesnt look big enough for gas exhaust.

just cant see gas flue and black/grey vent being combined.....methane/sewer gas and open flames dont mix....well they do, with a BANG !!!!.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
That vent looks like a water heater or gas heater vent to me. More like a gas boiler vent than anything. Switch the boiler on and see if heat rises. If not then switch the boiler off and switch the heating on and see if heat rises. If not it will be the vent to the black tank.

Just had a thought....Do you have a ceramic hob ?.

No, just a standard gas hob

The heating / boiler is Alde with a side vent alongside the boiler next to garage

So that vent is looking more likely to be black tank??

Still no idea what to do if it is, if blocked no problem dropping water down, if split could be a big mistake :Doh:

Many thanks for your continued interest, I was beginning to think trade in was best option!!

David

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the pillar vent in pic 4 is either the fridge or heater/boiler vent...or even combined

the white vent (pic 3) under the aerial is possibly the tank vent....doesnt look big enough for gas exhaust.

just cant see gas flue and black/grey vent being combined.....methane/sewer gas and open flames dont mix....well they do, with a BANG !!!!.

The little white thing in pic 3 is odd, definitely not a vent, it has a screw of top, the thread M4 ish is the only outlet. I think it might be a radio aerial, but that is mainly due to location next to status

The pillar vent I think must be kitchen fridge and or oven, it is directly above both

David :thumb:

David

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The reason I asked about the ceramic hob is that I have one and its vented through the roof with the same type of exit. So I would imagine that is similar. Vent exits are much the same whether they are heat or tank vents. If its a heat vent, obviously you do not want to pour water down it.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think Pappajohns logic is pretty sound, you would not expect the black tank vent to be taken so close to the oven

I am not much further forward but intend to light the oven tomorrow to see if the only vent I have found gets hot

Then back to looking for replacement MH!! with cassette toilet!!

David

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think Pappajohns logic is pretty sound, you would not expect the black tank vent to be taken so close to the oven

I am not much further forward but intend to light the oven tomorrow to see if the only vent I have found gets hot

Then back to looking for replacement MH!! with cassette toilet!!

David

Ooooh...Thats a bit drastic. Give me a black tank any day. Empty it once a fortnight, not twice a day :Cool:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
never did resolve this one, still get a smell issue if we drive with a window open for any amount of time, same applies to open roof vents which we don't do as a norm but it works as a good reminder that I have forgotten one

I am now 99% sure we have a floor mounted air vent to the black tank, this seems to be linked back up to just below the macerator keeping it above the top of the tank level at all times

the pipe has a peculiar plastic valve that I will photograph later, this has the whiff of black tank and a small residue of toilet tissue evident, hence my 99% hope this must be the vent. It has a screw on top that can be removed completely

I will be removing and giving it a poke through to be sure it is clear, it only has about a 10mm bore if that

Nothing about the tank or valve at all in the manual, I am pretty sure my MH is full of trial items, most of them abandoned immediately after fitting to mine

Photos to follow

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a cyclone roof vent on ours and last week we got the awful sewer smell inside the van. The tank hadn't been emptied for 2 weeks and it wasn't really very full. No smell at all out of the toilet itself, even with the flap open and looking down the hole at the contents!
I think the wind was in the wrong direction, blowing directly past the cyclone vent into the back of a nearby roof vent cover.
Anyway, I emptied the black tank.
I have considered using a home made deodoriser consisting of Calgon water softener, washing powder and bleach ( google it, lots of recipes online) otherwise it seems the smell is contained for just over a week, then it starts to emit the smell.
Look forward to the pics from,this has been a problem for you for almost 3 years!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks @Chris, that looks to be a useful read, will do properly later

funnily enough when I googled the problem. after the ads the next finds linked back to my original question here on MHF :) hence my reopening an old thread (y)

I think we might be over careful on use of water to flush, that ties in with the linked suggestions (y)

edit - as we have now managed the window related issues we now only get the smell problem immediately after the loo is flushed, not helped by the vent being effectively into or at best only just under the garage, right under our bed o_O

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Had to grin at that article..
I used to work on a lot of USAF bases and the plumbers in the DIN trucks would often comment that for a race of folk who are almost obsessive about cleanliness their toilets and bathrooms were very often errr.. lets say not the most sanitary !

The average septic ( pun not intended LOL ! ) seemed to be completely averse to properly cleaning either the toilet of bathroom facilities in their base housing..
Absolutely no idea why !!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
right then, photographic update, from start to end of process :sick:

IMG_0561.JPG

first comment having read back through my own thread, I didn't even realise un til a year after I had bought it that this toilet is plastic not ceramic as I quoted three years ago o_O

IMG_0562.JPG

everything disappears through the round window :) no flaps or valves, but there is a chopper blade behind loo that chops and pushes water and contents into black tank below, we keep this lower part of the bowl full of water, although there is a sort of U bend, this is a guaranteed seal

IMG_0563.JPG

only Hymer could fit a microprocessor driven loo, the rubber boot in middle is attached to the outlet from inside, which then lift the poo soup up and down the black hose to the left which is simply a cover to a clear plastic smaller pipe inside. The braided hose is the water flush connected to the main water tank and pump, In the middle bottom is an opaque (possibly poo coloured) pipe connected on the outlet side of the chopped poo soup leading down to below the garage with a funny valve on it, this must be the vent to the black tank I reckon, certainly cant find anything else that could be the vent

IMG_0564.JPG

the next is the outlet from what I think might be the vent connected to a little vent / valve that is not mentioned in the book of words anywhere

IMG_0565.JPG

the centre of the funny thing removed, hole through is clear of anything, but the bit whiffs to confirm it is connected to the loo

IMG_0566.JPG

the o ring forms a seal, the thread allows the bottom plunger to be lifted, it looks like when screwed down this 'valve' is closed, so I have lifted it up (unscrewed it), this allows air to pass in or out through the small bore tube below, cut off at an angle and passed through sealant in the floor of MH

IMG_0568.JPG

this is the release valve, in photo above I have my discharge hose connected, it sticks down about 3" from floor
IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

last photo is of the chopper blade, with boot removed, the 'opaque' tube is connected on the underside of the square section behind the chopper, not really sure why it on the bottom, the top would make more sense if an air vent, but it not adjustable, so unless incorrectly fitted by Hymer it is where it should be

I am now of the opinion having read through the link sent by Chris, thanks again for that, (y) that we have gone too far in our minimising water use so as not to need to empty as often

I also think we maybe don't add enough Bio liquid for the size of the tank, just added nearly a litre of Bio liquid, half a bottle of bleach and 10 litres of water ready for next journey to give it all a good shake out before used next

Hopefully this might sort it, but I am still not sure I have found the vent pipe to the black tank, but the top of the tank is totally inaccessible without dismantling the rear end of MH. will see if this does the trick first, I do wonder if we have a vent on top of the black tank that was never connected to anything. (there is no spillage though and we have driven home with it pretty full) The odour issue is most pronounced immediately after flushing, when air will be forced out of the black tank to somewhere

Anybody still reading, thanks for your interest (y)

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
while I was typing all that guff above, I got to thinking I must be able to see more of the black tank from somewhere, so have been taking panels off in the garage

now it is even more intriguing but slightly clearer, going back to photograph the revised findings

will post more in a bit, looks like a Hymer design flaw, as I have found a loosely fitted corrugated pipe coming out of the top of the black tank, which will almost certainly now be the vent pipe, but I have no idea where it goes and suspect it doesn't go outside

The tanks are all above floor level, fresh, grey and black, so unless this pipe goes down to somewhere below floor where I cant see it, its no wonder it stinks when we flush it, even the loose fitted vent connection is probably enough :mad:o_O

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The white thingy with the O rings looks like an air admittance valve. If it is then it is there to let air into the sealed system to prevent a vacuum forming, but not let air (and therefore bad smells) out. If you are feeling lucky you could always try blowing and then sucking. You should be able to blow air in, but not suck any air out. But if I am wrong you could end up with a mouthful of s**t. Well at least its your own. :D:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back