Black tank muncher (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello all, this was never going to be a 'nice' topic and when I bought the MH I wondered what will I do when!!

Now 'when' has arrived

The macerator pump slowed down dramatically while away last and actually blew a fuse once, it still runs slowly and has managed to consume the liquid contents with paper from the bowl, but not with the gusto it used to. Luckily it did not have too much to deal with because I think it would still be in the bowl

For anybody still reading, my apologies for the detail, but you need to know to help. The MH is a Hymer s800 with ceramic toilet and this muncher thing pushing the waste into the black tank.

It is either partially blocked or about to wear out, what do I do, I can see where it is fitted or at least I think I can, the access is quite easy as it has a side hatch where the cassette would be.

My thought is to buy a spare pump chopper uppy thingy and try to fit it myself, dealing with our own toilet waste is bad enough, giving it to a stranger to do just does not seem right

Has anybody done this job already, or have any opinions on what might be wrong that does not need clearing / changing. I have tried filling the toilet with fresh water and this clears fairly easily, even some toilet paper went, but just not as quick as I would like / expect. IO am very wary of being away, needing a No.2 and it then not clearing, more apologies

If this should have been put in a technical forum I apologise for a third time

David

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Firstly, have a word with the other person in your life about the worst enemy of macerators...BABY WIPES.
Secondly, it sounds like the impeller has broken down inside the housing. Duncan at Star Spangled Spanner has them, I know as I just had to replace mine.
Its not a difficult job stripping the macerator down, but try to delay for a few hours after breakfast :Eeek:.
Once you have the macerator in your hand you will see its made up of 2 parts, a pump and a motor. Just unbolt the pump end and you will see the rubber impeller.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks for that Snowbird, my thought was to buy one anyway to have just in case, then as you say it will hopefully be obvious when you can see what you are changing

We have a total ban on baby wipes, but have agreed to allow moist toilet paper, is that still too much?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I don't allow anything down the loo unless its been eaten first or the puppy dog loo paper. I wouldn't buy a macerator until you have the old one out. There are several different makes and types. Some paper towels and the like don't break down and jam the impeller. I have had them jam with hair, I found later that herself after cleaning her hairbrush was throwing the hair down the loo.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
We have had the same situation a couple of times where something (a hair grip or similar) has gone down the pipes and has split the rubber impeller blades in two.

It still pumps but very slowly and will often overheat.

I looked at buying a new impeller for the Shurflo macerator but it wasn't much more expensive to buy a new macerator.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A new impeller from Duncan is £28-92p including delivery.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
That's a good price :thumb:

But I bought a new, unbranded macerator for £45 (or thereabouts).

It's been pumping 100 litres of black and 200 litres of grey every 10 days for the last year without problems, so I'll just consider it a consumable item and buy a new one each time it fails ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
That's a good price :thumb:

But I bought a new, unbranded macerator for £45 (or thereabouts).

It's been pumping 100 litres of black and 200 litres of grey every 10 days for the last year without problems, so I'll just consider it a consumable item and buy a new one each time it fails ::bigsmile:

From your experience are these macerators pretty much the same size?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks to all, been in touch with Duncan at Star Spangled Spanner, (what a helpful chap) sounds like a norm for me, but my macerator is non standard, thanks Hymer. Decided the only option was to have a look inside and before tea seemed a better option than after. so.....

Been inside, it was as predicted blocked by moist toilet tissue, not baby wipes, but still too much to ask I now realise, enough said.

Problem solved, on a more positive end my impellor has metal blades so I hope less likely to break off than the plastic ones, now I just need to find out where my fresh water is leaking from on journeys when travelling with it full........... time for another thread

All the best to all

David

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back