Black tank muncher

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Jun 28, 2013.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Hello all, this was never going to be a 'nice' topic and when I bought the MH I wondered what will I do when!!

Now 'when' has arrived

The macerator pump slowed down dramatically while away last and actually blew a fuse once, it still runs slowly and has managed to consume the liquid contents with paper from the bowl, but not with the gusto it used to. Luckily it did not have too much to deal with because I think it would still be in the bowl

For anybody still reading, my apologies for the detail, but you need to know to help. The MH is a Hymer s800 with ceramic toilet and this muncher thing pushing the waste into the black tank.

It is either partially blocked or about to wear out, what do I do, I can see where it is fitted or at least I think I can, the access is quite easy as it has a side hatch where the cassette would be.

My thought is to buy a spare pump chopper uppy thingy and try to fit it myself, dealing with our own toilet waste is bad enough, giving it to a stranger to do just does not seem right

Has anybody done this job already, or have any opinions on what might be wrong that does not need clearing / changing. I have tried filling the toilet with fresh water and this clears fairly easily, even some toilet paper went, but just not as quick as I would like / expect. IO am very wary of being away, needing a No.2 and it then not clearing, more apologies

If this should have been put in a technical forum I apologise for a third time

David

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Firstly, have a word with the other person in your life about the worst enemy of macerators...BABY WIPES.
    Secondly, it sounds like the impeller has broken down inside the housing. Duncan at Star Spangled Spanner has them, I know as I just had to replace mine.
    Its not a difficult job stripping the macerator down, but try to delay for a few hours after breakfast :Eeek:.
    Once you have the macerator in your hand you will see its made up of 2 parts, a pump and a motor. Just unbolt the pump end and you will see the rubber impeller.

3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks for that Snowbird, my thought was to buy one anyway to have just in case, then as you say it will hopefully be obvious when you can see what you are changing

We have a total ban on baby wipes, but have agreed to allow moist toilet paper, is that still too much?

4. Snowbird

I don't allow anything down the loo unless its been eaten first or the puppy dog loo paper. I wouldn't buy a macerator until you have the old one out. There are several different makes and types. Some paper towels and the like don't break down and jam the impeller. I have had them jam with hair, I found later that herself after cleaning her hairbrush was throwing the hair down the loo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

We have had the same situation a couple of times where something (a hair grip or similar) has gone down the pipes and has split the rubber impeller blades in two.

It still pumps but very slowly and will often overheat.

I looked at buying a new impeller for the Shurflo macerator but it wasn't much more expensive to buy a new macerator.

6. Snowbird

A new impeller from Duncan is £28-92p including delivery.

7. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

That's a good price :thumb:

But I bought a new, unbranded macerator for £45 (or thereabouts).

It's been pumping 100 litres of black and 200 litres of grey every 10 days for the last year without problems, so I'll just consider it a consumable item and buy a new one each time it fails :BigGrin:

8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I am new to this, the answer will probably be blindingly obvious when you tell me, but how to I get in touch with Duncan @ Star Spangled Spanner?

9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

From your experience are these macerators pretty much the same size?

10. Snowbird

Duncans number 01522 778944

11. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Yes, they have the same connections.

12. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks to all, been in touch with Duncan at Star Spangled Spanner, (what a helpful chap) sounds like a norm for me, but my macerator is non standard, thanks Hymer. Decided the only option was to have a look inside and before tea seemed a better option than after. so.....

Been inside, it was as predicted blocked by moist toilet tissue, not baby wipes, but still too much to ask I now realise, enough said.

Problem solved, on a more positive end my impellor has metal blades so I hope less likely to break off than the plastic ones, now I just need to find out where my fresh water is leaking from on journeys when travelling with it full........... time for another thread

All the best to all

David

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  13. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

if the tank only leaks when full its probably got some vents on the top just dont fill it so far