Black Tank Chemicals

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Jun 11, 2013.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Hello all

On our latest MH we have a black tank for toilet waste only, it holds about 100 litres and we have so far used it without any chemical. The only real issue is it stinks when discharging, I do not want to offend other site users, do you think I could or even should be adding blue or green chemical??

David

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Black tanks are not meant to have any chemicals in them. They work on the same principal as a sceptic tank. You will of course be discharging it down a foul sewer or similar so the smell will be no different than that emitting from there.

3. errpaul

errpaul Funster

We had a marine toilet tank on our last motorhome, and actually got it on the new one too (just bought)
    We stopped using chemical but after a while ended up with a nasty smell in the van, and flies coming out of the toilet. :Eeek
    Guess it hadn't emptied fully although I always tried to flush it through every time.
    We will be using chemical again to prevent this as did not have this issue before.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

One Chem Holding Waste Tank Cleaner

One bottle formula! Concentrated formaldehyde free 14 day formula to service holding tanks in boats, barges, motorhomes, RVs and marine vessels. One 25ml dose per 100L tank capacity. • Environmentally friendly, biodegradable, pH neutral formula • Long-lasting 2 week cycle • Built-in water softener, effective in hard water areas • Sanitises and deodorises • Safe and easy to use Directions for use (per 100 litre of tank capacity) Charge tank with sufficient water to cover any initial solid deposits. Remove cap and carefully squeeze container to fill measurement chamber to 25ml line. Add 25ml per 100L tank capacity. Replace cap securely. Always empty tanks at designated disposal points. Safety recommendations Risk of serious damage to eyes. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. Keep out of the reach of children. Keep away from food, drink and animal feeding stuffs. If swallowed, seek medical advice immediately and show this container or label. Store between 0ºc and 30ºc.
    One-Chem™ Holding Tank & Grey Water (1ltr)
    Instructions for use
    (per 100 Litre tank capacity)​
    • Charge tank with sufficient water to cover any initial solid deposits.​
    • Remove cap and carefully squeeze container to fill measurement chamber to 25ml line.​
    • Add 25ml per 100L tank capacity.​
    • Replace cap securely.​
    ALWAYS EMPTY TANKS AT DESIGNATED DISPOSAL POINTS​
    Safety recommendations
    • Risk of serious damage to eyes.​
    • In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice.​
    • Keep out of the reach of children.​
    • Keep away from food, drink and animal feeding stuffs.​
    • If swallowed, seek medical advice immediately and show this container or label.​
    • Store between 0ºc and 30ºc.​
    IRRITANT

5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

sorted

Thanks for that, I was torn between presuming I shouldn't use chemicals and desire not to offend, even when going straight to drain, the pong was not nice. Maybe a modified diet might be called for!! We also had a small issue driving home last from a site without easy facilities, toilet a bit full, slopping back into the bowl with accompanying odour en route home. Not again in future now we hope.

6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

There should be nothing sloping back into the bowl, or odours in the van. Your paddle seal must need changing. Although I only have a 100 litre black tank on the present motorhome, I had a 500 litre tank on my Tiffin and no problems with anything coming past the seal. Also check the vent pipe is not blocked with debris as this can cause odours coming back into the van.

7. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

We tried without blue but the stink:Eeek:

When the flap was open to do what one must do , made us gag-- putting us off our performance:cry:

Then having to empty the cassette on sites into a big swirling ,viewing arena elsan point , the smell would make campers run for cover holding their noses.

Nearby to my work, is a simple 4" breather 90 degree tube popping out of a septic tank, we can just put the Thetford spout down there with no smell or sight of the contents:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

lets face it...$hit stinks !

problem using chemicals is you will most likely need to empty into an elsan point....which will invariably be well above ground level and $hit wont flow uphill, gravity sees to that....as you shouldnt put chemical treated waste into a foul sewer.

chemicals kill natural bacteria which is needed to break down solid waste.....and foul sewers are full of it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013