Black Swan (2 Viewers)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi just took the grandson to feed the ducks and saw a Black Swan with a red beak, is this unusual??

Ornithological challenged Olley

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
From the RSPB website.....

Link Removed
Home > Advice > Ask an expert > Previous questions > I saw a black swan on new years day whilst walking by the river. Are they rare in the UK?
Ask an expert

12 January 2007
I saw a black swan on new years day whilst walking by the river. Are they rare in the UK?

Sent in by Colin Nicholson, Wheatley, Oxfordshire

Full question

I saw a black swan on new years day whilst walking by the river. Are they rare in the UK?
Link RemovedRichard James, Wildlife Adviser
Richard answers...

Sightings of black swans have become reasonably common. They could be found on almost any water body. They have similar habitat requirements to mute swans and are often found in the same areas.
Black swans are native to Australia and are the state bird of Western Australia. They were brought to the UK as ornamental birds like peacocks and golden pheasants. Like many other captive birds, they occasionally find their way out into the wild.
They are similar in size to the closely related mute swan. They appear all black when swimming but they have white primary wing feathers, which can be seen in flight. The bill is red with a broad white band on the tip.
Black swans were also introduced to New Zealand where a feral breeding population has become well established. The New Zealand population increased dramatically because they faced very little competition or predation.
There have been occasional reports of successful breeding attempts in the UK but they have not become established. They face competition from our native swans so it is unlikely they could become as well established here as they have in New Zealand.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi just took the grandson to feed the ducks and saw a Black Swan with a red beak, is this unusual??

Ornithological challenged Olley

If I remember rightly there are many at Leeds Castle near Maidstone in Kent. Thats Leeds in Kent not the one in Yorkshire. :Doh:

A fablous castle, if you get chance to go it don't miss it. There is a camp site within walking distance. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Bruce thanks for that, more bl**dy immigrants :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi Keith whats the name of the site please, I fancy going there.

Olley

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Hi Bruce thanks for that, more bl**dy immigrants :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi Keith whats the name of the site please, I fancy going there.

Olley

I found Pine Lodge HERE, but now it seems it's going to a Caravan Club site from July :Sad: It is very handy for Leeds Castle though, as well as for a stay before crossing the channel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Keith thanks, looks like its already a CC site, they call it Bearsted Caravan Club Site, Link Removed

Don't mind CC sites to much, at least you know it will be clean, just have to watch the grass with my rear wheels.::bigsmile:

Olley

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Hi Keith thanks, looks like its already a CC site, they call it Bearsted Caravan Club Site, Link Removed

Don't mind CC sites to much, at least you know it will be clean, just have to watch the grass with my rear wheels.::bigsmile:

Olley

Well well, I used to live in Bearsted & know the area well.

There is a great Fish & Chip shop just up the road ..... or it was when I owned it. :thumb: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back