MJ65

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 17, 2012
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Folks we are brand new to all of this and while I will be putting in the pain to thoroughly clean and wax the motor home I woud value some advice.What causes vertical black streaks?Can they be prevented?What is the best, easiest and most effient/least damaging way to remove?Additionally I have snow foam (PH Neutral) and intend to use my pressure washer turned down, on wide spray an held well away from the van, avoiding seals, I will then pre-wax and wax, who needs the gym! - any comments/experience of others on this or others cleaning/detailing process?Thanks in anticipation...

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
The black streaks are run-offs from the roof bringing down the muck from the roof and collecting any dirt from around windows and seals on the way.

June

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Black streaks

Try Silky for the black streaks. Its available from most caravan/motorhome outlets. Its also safe on plastics. Ive also used it to remove light scratches from the plastic windows.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Just use a high concentration of any caravan cleaner to get the black streaks off. I use Starbright which is an American product. You can buy it off the web or from a ships chandler.

If you do a google search you will see loads of cleaners. As said above, black streaks are caused by rainwater and condensation running down from a dirty roof or ledges over wibdows and doors etc.

You will never be permanentley free of the dreaded black streaks.
Jim
:Smile:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Try Silky for the black streaks. Its available from most caravan/motorhome outlets. Its also safe on plastics. Ive also used it to remove light scratches from the plasticic windows.::bigsmile:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

THAT'S THE WAY TO DO IT!!!!

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Really annoying and ours are only down the one side due to the fact that the van sits at a slight slope. But they can't be avoided, we've just bought some "magic" cleaning blocks from QVC, they've been great on things around the house, but aren't recommended for glossy paintwork on vans, cars etc. However, we've used them very gently and carefully on the black streaks and they've gone........until the next time:Doh:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we also use star bright - good

Just use a high concentration of any caravan cleaner to get the black streaks off. I use Starbright which is an American product. You can buy it off the web or from a ships chandler.

If you do a google search you will see loads of cleaners. As said above, black streaks are caused by rainwater and condensation running down from a dirty roof or ledges over wibdows and doors etc.

You will never be permanentley free of the dreaded black streaks.
Jim
:Smile:

We also use Starbright.. good...

Bob

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Black straks

I've always used TFR, traffic film remover on a soft cloth, one wipe and they're gone, works for me ! :thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Try Silky for the black streaks. Its available from most caravan/motorhome outlets. Its also safe on plastics. Ive also used it to remove light scratches from the plastic windows.::bigsmile:

Silky is brilliant.
Use it, rub off then normal car shampoo.

Fenwicks streak remover doesnt even touch the streaks.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Fenwicks takes out my black streaks. The black streaks around your way must be harder than where I live.
Jim
:roflmto:

Tough streaks round here, mate.::bigsmile:
I tried the stuff this spring, Jim.
I found it absolutely useless. Made no impression st all.
Silky is brilliant stuff.:thumb:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Autoglym caravan and motorhome cleaner works for me. You only need a very small spray and brush with a wet long handled brush and it is gone. Rinse well - pain in the neck with a hosepipe ban but luckily it lashed down with rain shortly after.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Autoglym caravan and motorhome cleaner works for me. You only need a very small spray and brush with a wet long handled brush and it is gone. Rinse well - pain in the neck with a hosepipe ban but luckily it lashed down with rain shortly after.

I was going to say Autoglym but I coudnt spell it so I said something else.
Jim
:roflmto:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
On our mottled/dimpled bodywork we get black streaks occasionally from the sealant around the cab windows. WD40 removes them in seconds... :Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If you read my post I did not say streak remover thats the watered down version of the motorhome cleaner which you can use 10-1 or even neat

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
This is what we use on the boat, and now we use it on knobby.......simples..:thumb:

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It is the rubber seals that leach out carbon black in the rain that causes the streaks try fenwicks motorhome cleaner, the streak remover is same stuff but watered down 10-1 so costs a lot more in use just by the cleaner:thumb:

http://fenwicks.info/motorhome_cleaner.htm
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Fenwicks-Motorhome-Cleaner-.html
Nice to see someone else knows what causes true black streaks...nothing to do with muck off the roof.
if it was you would have proper streaks along the full length of the sidewall...not just below any rubber seals.

haven't tried it yet but smearing silicon grease around the seals may seal the seal, so to speak, and prevent streaks.

for some reason, American motorhomes don't appear to suffer to the same extent as euro vans do...possibly a superior sealing system.

Oh, and i find Fenwicks has a good reputation but the streak remover is a waste of that reputation...it dont work !

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
As i said the streak remover is a watered down 10-1 version of the motorhome cleaner so just a bit neat on a cloth does work

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Fenwicks works great in Staffordshire too!

Another great way to get rid of them (unless they are on the back) is drive at 60mph in the rain! :winky:

Seriously though, if there are any stubborn ones, a little bit of Fenwicks (or whatever else) neat on a sponge gets rid of them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back