black smoke from exhaust when labouring

Discussion in 'Mercedes' started by jacken, Dec 11, 2008.

1. jacken

jacken Read Only Funster

Hi,

Base vehicle is a Mercedes sprinter 616 with the 2.7 engine. Wifey tells me that when following in her car, she notices black smoke from the exhaust but only when going uphill or labouring. Logic tells me this is a fuel problem. I do have a 'Chip' box which was on it when bought. Any ideas on remedy or other thoughts please?

ken

2. Patrick

Patrick Read Only Funster

Hi Ken,

Over fueling or clogged air filter! if its of the turbo and your foot flat down it will be putting in more fule than it has the air to burn. it could be that the software has got a problem, has it been back to the Merc dealer for updates?

Patrick

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  3. jacken

jacken Read Only Funster

thanks for the reply Patrick. I should have added that it is an automatic and I must admit, I know nothing much about software for the ECU etc. Do you think thats the answer, book it in for a service and get the computer checked?

Ken

• Like Like x 1
  4. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

I have had Mercedes diesel cars for a number of years now and when i get black smoke i just use one of the proprietary injector cleaners from somewhere like Halfords, just make sure the one you buy is suitable for your injection system, I also do put my foot down in one of the lower gears every couple of weeks to give the system a bit of a blow through which does send out a lot of sh?T which seems to make in run better.

5. 2bob

2bob Funster

hi make sure eng is hot when you put cleaner in

6. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Ken, the likelyhood is it is nothing to worry about at all. If there is a chip box fitted and the black smokle is when labouring then that would be normal for a chipped van. All thats happening is that your having more fuel and turbo boost pressure and unburnt fuel comes out as sooty black smoke. My old chipped van could really smoke if allowed to labour or climb hills.
    try removing echip box. The van will be a lot slower but probably run cleaner.

7. Terry

Terry Funster

So how do you get an auto to labour ?:Smile:
    change the air filter,stick in some injecter cleaner and give it a good high reving blast :thumb: may- be even change the oil and filters (service) while you are at it.:thumb:
    terry
    If it still smokes after all that live with it :thumb: or get the wife to drive in front and you follow her :thumb: that way she wont see the smoke :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  8. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Concur; Black smoke is usually a sign of over fuelling. Incomplete combustion can be the result of several combinations of factor depending upon mileage and service history.

Simple stuff first. New Air filter, for one!, Put some Fuel clean additive in and run the full tank through, make sure it`s right for your engine!. 9 time out of 10 that will make enough difference, In my experience you can expect a small "puff" of smoke when you accelerate hard as the pump supplies more fuel than the turbo can supply air for until the lag in the turbo catches up. Older engines ECU`s are not as sophisticated as the latest ones. Other issues get expensive. Worn injectors and fuel pumps are not cheap to replace, and in some cases they cannot even be overhauled! Also the later one`s could need to be "setup" on a diagnostic system (electronic injectors).

Hey-Ho the delights of modern motoring Eh!!

Pete

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Six years of pondering, I assume yours is the definitive answer.

• Like Like x 4
  10. PeteH

PeteH Funster

After 50 odd years working on anything from Austin Ruby`s to Marine Engines with a bore of 1M and 2M stroke. I still don't have any definitive answer to anything, in fact the most surprising thing about Engineering is that there is nothing definitive it`s always moving on! But yes I missed the fact that the Post was OLD!!!:D:D:D Which probably shows just HOW old I am getting!!!:ROFLMAO::whistle::whistle:

Pete

• Like Like x 3
  11. hilldweller

I love it when someone else does it. You get away with nothing on FUN.

12. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

If your engine is smoking a lot when labouring then I'd have thought the first thing to try would be to use lower gears so it doesn't. My first impression would be that the problem could be too much right foot and the black smoke is caused by unspent fuel spewing out of the exhaust
    But as most others have said a good dose of engine and injector cleaner wouldn't do any harm.

Addendum

Ooooops!
    Another plonker replying to an old thread.
    I'm going back to me whisky glass, it's safer

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. hilldweller

Spot on for you, the older the better.

Did you know a barrel loses 10% per annum which is why old whisky is expensive. They call it the fairies share.

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I knew i was missing something....its friday evening and me uncle Jack's calling me from Tennessee. :beerchug::wink: