Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built Benimar
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi, We are picking up our first new motorhome next week and we are looking at going to the black forest for a week in May. We were thinking of driving from Hampshire and taking the Eurotunnel but wondered how long it would take in a motorhome to get from Calais to the Black Forest? We will be travelling with two small children so any advice would be appreciated. Also is the North or South better with children? Many thanks Abi

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We visited part of The Black Forest a couple of years ago. We were in Eastern France (our favourite part) and decided to go into Strasbourg, into Baden Baden and onto Lake Titesee. We didn't do it directly but meandered down and even the return journey was coddywompling. However, I would have thought, doing it would be better with an overnight stop possibly at a nice Aire in France.
I'm positive they'll be lots of suggestions soon and
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The "two small children" is a major factor. :) It's nearly five hundred miles from Calais so my plan would be to do it in two hops, which should mean you can stop somewhere for lunch and then have the afternoon free for exploring with the kids. Of course time of the tunnel crossing will also be a factor. Assuming you leave home at a civilised hour you could get an afternoon train. Alternatively, some might drive through the night but that wouldn't be my idea of fun and in a new motorhome?
If you're experienced motorhomers it shouldn't be a problem but if it's all new to you make sure you have everything you might need packed and of course everything works in the motorhome.
A first trip, perhaps over a weekend to the New Forest might be wise before setting off to the Black one. :)

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
:welco:To the house of fun. I will follow this thread with interest as we will be doing this route over Easter. @EX51SSS any more tips on Strasbourg as this is our destination as well. Never been but somewhere I always wanted to visit. Only looking at this last night - how spooky, and didn't realise Black Forest was so close. Only across the border. Hopefully @BennyLazerBomb you get loads of replies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I'd personally go through Belgium and into Luxembourg for some cheap motion lotion and stop at a nice aire around halfway.
Don't know if you have it but I'd download the Campercontact app onto your phone or iPad and have a look on there where you'd like to stop.
IMG_0304.PNG

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
:welco:To the house of fun. I will follow this thread with interest as we will be doing this route over Easter. @EX51SSS any more tips on Strasbourg as this is our destination as well. Never been but somewhere I always wanted to visit. Only looking at this last night - how spooky, and didn't realise Black Forest was so close. Only across the border. Hopefully @BennyLazerBomb you get loads of replies.
Well we stayed overnight at the French side of Strasbourg on an Aire and tbf our journey was through Strasbourg only stopping at a (MOT type) garage on the German side to get our Umwelt. We like the Champagne area and travelled via St Dizier (Moho place and Aire if you want), onto Metz and then to Strasbourg. SWMBO reminded me that a German couple gave us a train ticket to visit a couple of places (it was a runaround type ticket and they had to go to the German side every day but once only)
Very Gothic influences but we travelled on to a campsite outside Lake Titesee and go the bus into and rode on one of those little trains and was glorious. All in German of course. We also visited Freiberg and the area is absolutely gorgeous and an easy hop to Switzerland if you fancy.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
definite seconding for the Belgian route. not for one iota of a second do i believe you can take that blue route (presuming its not the pay tolls) and get to Strasbourg quicker than the grey route kindly provided by @Rob Turner
You get teh added benefit of luxembourg fuel prices.
Strasbourg has an aire which is not that sightly HOWEVER is in a park with a walk to Germany over the bridge. the town is a 15 minute CYCLE away but is worth going to. If time is not an issue here then and you want to see something stunning then Eguishem is a free haven for the kids. You can park in a vineyard in this village with free electric and water (i think there were 33) and its like Harry potter land and a couple of years ago it was France's most beautiful village and is on the Alsace wine route with several other pretty villages.
We are North East Hants but normally leave Guildford during stupid hours (0630 after a night shift) and it is an easy 2 hours and allow at least an hour and half in your calculations for tunnel.
Champagne region is also fantastic so a lazy journey back that way through the lakes could be a plan

For photos of Eguishem go to my profile, look in albums and then select Easter 16. In the interests of fair advertising other albums in my profile are available too !

Upvote 0

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Welcome and thank you for highlighting the proximity of the Black Forest to Strasbourg. Somewhere else Helen the Hymer will be going on her odyssey this year.

Have a great time. Clive

Upvote 0

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Sorry, slow connection and posted twice. Second now deleted - sort of!

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
@Rob Turner

Firstly, hello and welcome to Bennylazerbomb! I hope you have many happy adventures.

A Question to Rob Turner, what program / web site did you use to show the alternative routes in your image ?

Thanks
Cliff

Upvote 0

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Looks like Google Maps to me. It is the same as on my iPad

Clive

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Just confirming what everyone else has said.
The Belgian route is preferable, the road surfaces aren't be best but you'll make steady progress.
I'd aim for Luxembourg on day one (plenty of stopover options and cheap fuel)
Second day on to Strasbourg. Our preferred site is it's a five minute walk to the bus stop, then a 10minute journey to the centre.
From Strasbourg it's an easy drive to the Black Forest. We stayed at Titesee but there's so much to see you're kind of spoilt for choice...
I will add that it could still be very cold, so be sure to pack warm clothing.
:welc:

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just confirming what everyone else has said.
The Belgian route is preferable, the road surfaces aren't be best but you'll make steady progress.
I'd aim for Luxembourg on day one (plenty of stopover options and cheap fuel)
Second day on to Strasbourg. Our preferred site is it's a five minute walk to the bus stop, then a 10minute journey to the centre.
From Strasbourg it's an easy drive to the Black Forest. We stayed at Titesee but there's so much to see you're kind of spoilt for choice...
I will add that it could still be very cold, so be sure to pack warm clothing.
:welc:
Can't disagree about Belgian route for direct but we do the coddywompling through France to get there. It depends how much time you have and what you like to see and shorter driving between stops.

Upvote 0

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Thank you for all the info, we are travelling up the east side en route to the tunnel and trying to piece together a plan of nice places to stop. @suavecarve I don't suppose you remember the name of the vineyard :)

Upvote 0

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
P.S. the village is still noted in the 'Beautiful Villages in France' book

Upvote 0

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
My view, for what it's worth.
Sounds like you're new to motorhoming and European travel and will be driving a newly acquired vehicle, with 2 young children, Black Forest and back in a week.
Too far in that length of time.
Physically doable but not so sure about enjoyable.

My suggestion would be somewhere closer or allocate more time.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Thank you for all the info, we are travelling up the east side en route to the tunnel and trying to piece together a plan of nice places to stop. @suavecarve I don't suppose you remember the name of the vineyard :)
I do

If you look it up it will say France Passion, the guy doesnt care, he doesnt speak a word of english and i can highly recommend his Pinot grigio
On the off chance he is full there is parking for motorhomes elsewhere

Nicole & Francois Bannwarth

48.044391, 7.305266
N48° 2.663' E7° 18.316'
Approximately 678km from your current location

+33(0)3 89 41 32 48

Wine producers and sales
Facilities

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you miss the traffic at Lille (Rush hour seems to go on til past 1000 hrs there) then Luxembourg is only 4 hours solid motorway (Solid does not describe belgian motorways well). If you have cruise control and get in the dents of the motorway lorries then it must be just like driving one of the new hands free things !

We reckon on 4 hours to Dudelange aire and 6-7 hours to Colmar/Strasbourg/Eguishem then slow down, but thats us and others will do it differently

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BennyLazerBomb

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built Benimar
Exp
I am a newbie
Wow that is amazing information (and lovely welcomes) from everyone! I have picked up lots of useful information here and will take it onboard. We hope to do a shorter trip before we head to Europe now to get everything set up and ready! I will spend the mext few days reading posts for any starter points! Have a great weekend.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Long long ago we had the quest to find the true Black Forest Gateau so booked the Black Forest with Eurocamp. Campsite Bad Liebenzel.

We found neither the gateau nor the Black Forest. Though nice enough.

But roll forwards 30 years and we found true Schwarzvaldkirchentorte on the Moselle and Rhein.

So a suggestion, do the Moselle. It's closer and very very beautiful, full of excellent wine and stop in Cocham and you will find Black Forest Gateau to die for. Cocham is a town to die for too.

A perfect distance for a week. Calais - Trier is under 300 miles and Calais - Koblenz ( end of the Moselle ) also 300 miles. Hundreds of camp sites and stellplatzen. You also get to see the Rhein at Koblenz, campsite right on the banks.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We have done that route a number of times suggest via Belgium/Luxembourg there is a good Aire in Hans Sur Lesse which is about 4 hours from Calais and then a shorter trip the next day into Germany around Strasbourg or Baden Baden.

Great caves and wildlife park for the kids in Hans Sur Lesse.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back