bl++dy DVLA

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by davejen, Oct 14, 2016.

1. davejen

davejen Funster

Move house recently, so updating all that need to know.....
    Went on DVLA site to update licence, filled in loads and loads of pages, got to last one..... you are unable to continue, go to local Post Office!!!!

On the D1 application form it states that you can replace it on-line. What a load of cobblers.
    Rant over.
    Cheers,Dave (y)

• Like Like x 1
  2. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

I dropped/lost my driving licence today :rolleyes: Tried filling in the form on line and got nowhere:swear2:

3. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

For an agency that continually promotes itself for its electronic initiatives etc it does not perform very well in this area especially as it supposedly enabled all transaction via web-based services prior to closing down all local offices.

Once well ahead of the Passport service for customer care they now, sadly, lag far behind.

4. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Am I wrong. I thought DVLA and the Passport Service were operated by the same 'organisation'.

5. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

They are both government agencies but they are completely independent of each other. They have collaborated on a number of projects in the past including facial recognition and the issue of illegal immigrants but each has its own board and CEO

6. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

I should also have said of course that they share information for application purposes if you hold a British passport, DVLA will take information from the Passport Agency.

7. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

To be fair to the DVLA, I find the process of re-applying for Road Tax is simple and efficient, and a big step forward from rooting about for documents and standing in a queue at a Post Office. Similarly being able to inform them online that you have sold a vehicle is a big step forward as well. Having had about 15 transactions with them over the past 3/4 years, they have all been straightforward and dealt with within their stated timeframes.

8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

For the run of the mill vehicle side of stuff I have found them very good.

For the more complex stuff and licence issues they are less efficient. I had my application for my licence re-reinstatement returned along with the documentation they were requesting.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I have really wanted to get a new plate for the van.. Similar to my JAWS plate but of course slightly different.
    I have wanted to do the change for the past 3 years.. I will not do it as I have absolutely NO confidence in the DVLA's ability to complete the exchange without cocking something up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

They did ours with no problems at all. Also our neighbours have moved their plate several times over the past ten years also with no issues.

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I appreciate they do the job fine most of the time.. But I know my bloody luck !
    Last time I did anything like this I just went to the local office and even then they messed it up to start with !

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

I am still waiting for them to find my motorcycle driving licence that they lost. And now tell me I have to take a new test.

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

You are far from alone..
    Worst case of that I have come across is a police officer who was on the bikes for several years and eventually was moved to pursuit and some training duties.
    DVLA lost his details and would not accept ANY proof he had previously had a bike licence.

But there have been several cases reported in the bike press over the years

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Wife lost purse with licence in last Saturday her in Portugal, completed replacement application online on the Sunday, arrived at UK home on Friday so 4 working days. Similar with registering import last year. You have to be pedantic in completing such important documents online especially.

15. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

The basters done it to me john unfortunetlu if I want to ride bikes again I havt to sit a test
    Bill

16. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

Never ever send your old license to dvla. They will try to take some of your groups away. This means having to pay for and resist driving tests. What they get out of this I do not know. It must make them money somewhere along the line. Your old license is your proof of entitlement they will not take your word for it and as we all know dvla do not make mistakes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Melvin

Melvin Funster

It can happen the other way round also,a few years ago a friend got his renewed licence back from DVLA with the m/cycle category added ,he had never driven a bike in his life.:)

18. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

Lucky sod