Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Move house recently, so updating all that need to know.....
Went on DVLA site to update licence, filled in loads and loads of pages, got to last one..... you are unable to continue, go to local Post Office!!!!

On the D1 application form it states that you can replace it on-line. What a load of cobblers.
Rant over.
Cheers,Dave (y)

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I dropped/lost my driving licence today :rolleyes: Tried filling in the form on line and got nowhere:swear2:

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
For an agency that continually promotes itself for its electronic initiatives etc it does not perform very well in this area especially as it supposedly enabled all transaction via web-based services prior to closing down all local offices.

Once well ahead of the Passport service for customer care they now, sadly, lag far behind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Once well ahead of the Passport service for customer care they now, sadly, lag far behind.

Am I wrong. I thought DVLA and the Passport Service were operated by the same 'organisation'.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Am I wrong. I thought DVLA and the Passport Service were operated by the same 'organisation'.
They are both government agencies but they are completely independent of each other. They have collaborated on a number of projects in the past including facial recognition and the issue of illegal immigrants but each has its own board and CEO

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I should also have said of course that they share information for application purposes if you hold a British passport, DVLA will take information from the Passport Agency.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
To be fair to the DVLA, I find the process of re-applying for Road Tax is simple and efficient, and a big step forward from rooting about for documents and standing in a queue at a Post Office. Similarly being able to inform them online that you have sold a vehicle is a big step forward as well. Having had about 15 transactions with them over the past 3/4 years, they have all been straightforward and dealt with within their stated timeframes.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
For the run of the mill vehicle side of stuff I have found them very good.

For the more complex stuff and licence issues they are less efficient. I had my application for my licence re-reinstatement returned along with the documentation they were requesting.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have really wanted to get a new plate for the van.. Similar to my JAWS plate but of course slightly different.
I have wanted to do the change for the past 3 years.. I will not do it as I have absolutely NO confidence in the DVLA's ability to complete the exchange without cocking something up.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have really wanted to get a new plate for the van.. Similar to my JAWS plate but of course slightly different.
I have wanted to do the change for the past 3 years.. I will not do it as I have absolutely NO confidence in the DVLA's ability to complete the exchange without cocking something up.

They did ours with no problems at all. Also our neighbours have moved their plate several times over the past ten years also with no issues.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They did ours with no problems at all. Also our neighbours have moved their plate several times over the past ten years also with no issues.
I appreciate they do the job fine most of the time.. But I know my bloody luck !
Last time I did anything like this I just went to the local office and even then they messed it up to start with !

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I am still waiting for them to find my motorcycle driving licence that they lost. And now tell me I have to take a new test.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am still waiting for them to find my motorcycle driving licence that they lost. And now tell me I have to take a new test.
You are far from alone..
Worst case of that I have come across is a police officer who was on the bikes for several years and eventually was moved to pursuit and some training duties.
DVLA lost his details and would not accept ANY proof he had previously had a bike licence.

But there have been several cases reported in the bike press over the years

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Wife lost purse with licence in last Saturday her in Portugal, completed replacement application online on the Sunday, arrived at UK home on Friday so 4 working days. Similar with registering import last year. You have to be pedantic in completing such important documents online especially.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You are far from alone..
Worst case of that I have come across is a police officer who was on the bikes for several years and eventually was moved to pursuit and some training duties.
DVLA lost his details and would not accept ANY proof he had previously had a bike licence.

But there have been several cases reported in the bike press over the years
The basters done it to me john unfortunetlu if I want to ride bikes again I havt to sit a test
Bill

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Never ever send your old license to dvla. They will try to take some of your groups away. This means having to pay for and resist driving tests. What they get out of this I do not know. It must make them money somewhere along the line. Your old license is your proof of entitlement they will not take your word for it and as we all know dvla do not make mistakes.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
It can happen the other way round also,a few years ago a friend got his renewed licence back from DVLA with the m/cycle category added ,he had never driven a bike in his life.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back