Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
Nappy soaker is sodium percarbonate and is the best stuff for toilets.
And the cheaper brands work at least as well as the more expensive ones.
One teaspoon full for each #2 use is ample and using more is not better.

Cheers,
Peter

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I was under the impression that the bad guy was formaldehyde which hasn't been used for years.
What is in the blue Elsan stuff that is so bad?
In France right now and not being able to find any bio stuff in a supermarket I had to buy some blue stuff made by CampingGaz.
Says it's suitable for all chemical toilets. Assuming that most if not all of this waste gets put into campsite/aire systems is this stuff also bad?
The blue kit is reputed to be carcinogenic....And, if it touches ANYTHING, the world turns blue. I saw a couple with a tug last year, their blue bottle had leaked, and they couldn't get it out of the stored awning.......:(

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I though formaldehyde had been phased out too, but Elsan Double Blue still contains it - it says so on the label. Saw it in the caravan dealers shop just recently. Formaldeyde & methanol I think were the warnings.

That surprises me - I was under the impression it had been banned and not just phased out, which is why Thetford's blue stuff no longer contains formaldehyde. I have a bottle of non-bio washing liquid at home and there's none in that either.

Maybe the bottle in the caravan shop was really old?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
After following this thread I'm pleased to see you Brits are clearly progressing into the European
cultural topics of every day life(y):whistle:Enjoy!!:france:

[QUOTE="Frentchy, Fosse- septics are the third most discussed items after food an drink, at any French meal table, if you happen to be on the main drains, you might (rightly) feel left out:(

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes , part of my enquiring more when i worked with sww was for friends that had moved to brittany and were having problems .
i have a septic in my garden here . but unfortunately mains sewage was put in 5 yrs before i came here . the daughter of the old lady that lived here lives across the road . she says it was never emtied in all the time she knew . her dad built the bungalow in 1921 so i think it was never emptied . mind it is a big one . shame i cant go back off mains and save a shilling .

Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sorry my friend I would not pay that much for that.

it is funny what we attempt to save money on

I did a similar sum on the first bottle of washing liquid I bought, then promptly poured far too much in. I possibly cost me £1 in soap, but it did smell nice

A typical weekend away must cost a minimum of £50 with sites and fuel, presuming we don't go too far or stay anywhere too expensive

I like nice gin, Bev likes nice whisky, we both like good food, if we pay £1 for a sweet smelling loo for the weekend does it really matter :)

Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years
Yes Dave it does not matter at all .I just would not pay that, even though I also like the nice things in life.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
While in France a week ago I ran out of bio and used a green (eco) official loo fluid for a week or so. It's performance was pathetic compared to the bio wash liquid.
The bio wash liquid completely breaks down solids in no time at all, where the official loo fluid still had visible lumps after two days and was smellier:tmi:.
The bio wash liquid is much cheaper as well as much better.
In France Carrefour do a good one or there is Formil from Lidl which is even cheaper in the 3L bottle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back