LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
what is bio diesel and is it ok to fuel up my mh with it there is a garage near me that charges just 90p a ltr i think so is it worth going for it advice please :Smile:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Dave{Snowbird} will know the answer.

IMO I dont think a modern MH would take very kindly to it.

Mel

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have used it in my 07 plate Pug based mh several times without issue.. Always use it if I can find it !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I notice while filling from the supermarket deisel pump that it has a label saying 'includes x% bio fuel, so it looks like we get it whether we want it or not.

Wyn

Deleted User
There is an EU ruling that a percentage of all diesel be biodiesel.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/17/biofuels_bad/

Biodiesel is environmentally unfriendly, crops needed for food are processed into fuel. Recycled cooking oil is causing a distortion in the market resulting in rain forest being cleared in order to produce palm oil.

Biodiesel is bad...don't buy it

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have been to a lot of asian countries and its tragic, they are stripping everything to create palm oil planatations, huge ones !!! its having a dire effect on the wildlife including the orangutans in Borneo who are losing massive area's of land we were amazed when we drove through the country at the sheer scale of the slash and burn.
http://www.mongabay.com/borneo/borneo_oil_palm.html

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
"Biodiesel is bad, dont buy it.."

Perhaps some are fiscally ok while others like myself who use the van a lot look for what amounts to a considerable saving ( I spent £900 in diesel for the motorhome from Jan to March this year alone )

Just saying 'do not buy it' without an alternative is not really on to be honest, especially when no matter what you are burning a fossil fuel that has a finite life of availability, AND of course you are indeed burning a fuel that is very environmentally unfriendly any way

Come back and say 'do not buy it' when you can follow it up with 'I use a fuel that has no impact on the environment we live in' ( and at the moment that simply does not exist .. H is nasty as it uses a LOT of electricity to produce and electricity is nasty as no matter HOW it is produced it has a big carbon footprint .. Wave power is the lowest but even that takes about 8 years to neutralise what it costs to manufacture the parts the kit is made from )

I am not condoning what some countries are doing to produce whatever, merely pointing out our choices are limited and no matter what we use in our vehicles it will have an impact on an environment SOMEWHERE in the world

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My daughters boyfriend works for a company that ONLY uses waste oils from the catering industry and nowhere else. It is a sad fact that an oil based economy,such as ours,will go to any ends instead of looking for alternatives. There is talk of producing fuel from sugar,so clearances for cane fields and turning waste plastic into fuel,but the NIMBYS don't want the plant near to them. Just do what your conscience and pocket permit.
Avoid any products using palm oil and this includes certain chocolates.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As any bio burner will tell you, PALM OIL does not make good bio fuel.

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Palm oil doesn't make a good anything, but its cheap and easy to produce unfortunately. Makes poor fuel, has zero taste or calorific value yet it bulks out our foods.

I have been growing facial hair to raise money for the conservation of Orangutans this month:

Broken Link Removed

The biggest cause of their problems is deforestation of their habitat to make way for palm oil :Sad:

If you feel so moved to, you can sponsor my efforts on my signature below.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
There is an EU ruling that a percentage of all diesel be biodiesel.

Biodiesel is environmentally unfriendly, crops needed for food are processed into fuel. Recycled cooking oil is causing a distortion in the market resulting in rain forest being cleared in order to produce palm oil.

Biodiesel is bad...don't buy it

Perhaps I missing the point here!!!!! and Diesel is environmentally friendly as is Petrol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the rate we are using Diesel and Petrol and Gas from "Mother Earth" we will run out in xxxxxx amount of years - so if we can produce fuel in another way were is the problem?

I remember when microwave ovens came out and they said then "Don't buy it" and guess what they are still selling them.........................

Life is to short for comments like "don't buy it" - "don't use it" - "that's not good for you"........

GET A LIFE.

maacracing

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
dundee
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
We have made our own bio diesel in the past with used / waste cooking oil all went through a process a little bit of work had to in to it but very worth while.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Perhaps I missing the point here!!!!! and Diesel is environmentally friendly as is Petrol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the rate we are using Diesel and Petrol and Gas from "Mother Earth" we will run out in xxxxxx amount of years - so if we can produce fuel in another way were is the problem?

I remember when microwave ovens came out and they said then "Don't buy it" and guess what they are still selling them.........................

Life is to short for comments like "don't buy it" - "don't use it" - "that's not good for you"........

GET A LIFE.

Ostrich Syndrome?

The harm as has been pointed out, is the deforestation of the planet for an inefficient means of producing fuel for our inefficient means of moving around.

Why are we not investing more money into efficient and effective means of providing fuel to propel vehicles without destroying the planet to the line the pockets of gargantuan global companies and govts of the countries we all live in?

This is simply because the oil companies have the money to invest it in things that will be of benefit to them and screw the planet. I am a capitalist, however we need regulation and govts who have the balls and the understanding of the situation to get a handle on this.

Simply put your fingers in your ears, close your eyes and your mind and ignore it, if it makes you feel better. However, dont come back whining in 10-20-30 years when we have created an even worse ecological disaster than the way we fuel our vehicles (and economies) now.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Ostrich Syndrome?

The harm as has been pointed out, is the deforestation of the planet for an inefficient means of producing fuel for our inefficient means of moving around.

Why are we not investing more money into efficient and effective means of providing fuel to propel vehicles without destroying the planet to the line the pockets of gargantuan global companies and govts of the countries we all live in?

This is simply because the oil companies have the money to invest it in things that will be of benefit to them and screw the planet. I am a capitalist, however we need regulation and govts who have the balls and the understanding of the situation to get a handle on this.

Simply put your fingers in your ears, close your eyes and your mind and ignore it, if it makes you feel better. However, dont come back whining in 10-20-30 years when we have created an even worse ecological disaster than the way we fuel our vehicles (and economies) now.

Ostrich Syndrome? - I think not - [HI]common sense I think so...........[/HI]

10-20-30 years - Now in 10 years we will still be talking about it, and still doing nothing.... In 20 years we will be thinking about it and STILL doing nothing and in 30 years many here on this forum will be gone and wont give a toss..... as they will be pushing up daisies.

If your so worried about the problem SELL your MH and your car buy a push bike and make the difference STARTING with yourself. Somehow I cannot see you selling your MH and Car so really your no better than anyone else.

So who has Ostrich Syndrome?

Deleted User
I am not a great believer in the theory of man made global warming but burning fossil fuels of any sort does not help. What I object to is the great confidence trick that biofuels are environmentally better than other fossil fuels when they are actually worse.

In my opinion the same can be said of most of the other so called eco friendly forms of energy production such as wind farms most of which are only viable because of huge government subsidies.

[HI]"At the rate we are using Diesel and Petrol and Gas from "Mother Earth" we will run out in xxxxxx amount of years - so if we can produce fuel in another way were is the problem?"[/HI]

The problem is that instead of researching genuinely renewable sources of energy we are using food resources and destroying the environment in a vain effort to prolongue the life of what will become an obsolete technology.

The money that has been used, and is being used, should be used to fund genuine renewables not lining the pockets of energy companies.

All our energy originates from the sun and gravity, efforts have been made to harness the sun and the technology is improving slowly.

Gravity has been used in the form of hydroelectricity for many years but a huge source of gravitational energy has been largely overlooked...tidal energy. Huge masses of water rise and fall twice a day ad infinitum. The problems in harnessing this energy are huge and need more research and investment now before the s**t really hits the fan.

[HI]"GET A LIFE." [/HI] I have a very good life thankyou, no need to shout and make what you perceive presumably to be an insult because I think about others and the effects that myself and my generation have on the world.

"P[HI]erhaps some are fiscally ok while others like myself who use the van a lot look for what amounts to a considerable saving ( I spent £900 in diesel for the motorhome from Jan to March this year alone )"[/HI]

I am by no means wealthy and I also travel a lot and spend around £2000 a year on diesel but if I could not afford it I wouldn't do it.

Biodiesel is bad, don't buy it

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I am not a great believer in the theory of man made global warming but burning fossil fuels of any sort does not help. What I object to is the great confidence trick that biofuels are environmentally better than other fossil fuels when they are actually worse.

In my opinion the same can be said of most of the other so called eco friendly forms of energy production such as wind farms most of which are only viable because of huge government subsidies.

[HI]"At the rate we are using Diesel and Petrol and Gas from "Mother Earth" we will run out in xxxxxx amount of years - so if we can produce fuel in another way were is the problem?"[/HI]

The problem is that instead of researching genuinely renewable sources of energy we are using food resources and destroying the environment in a vain effort to prolongue the life of what will become an obsolete technology.

The money that has been used, and is being used, should be used to fund genuine renewables not lining the pockets of energy companies.

All our energy originates from the sun and gravity, efforts have been made to harness the sun and the technology is improving slowly.

Gravity has been used in the form of hydroelectricity for many years but a huge source of gravitational energy has been largely overlooked...tidal energy. Huge masses of water rise and fall twice a day ad infinitum. The problems in harnessing this energy are huge and need more research and investment now before the s**t really hits the fan.

[HI]"GET A LIFE." [/HI] I have a very good life thankyou, no need to shout and make what you perceive presumably to be an insult because I think about others and the effects that myself and my generation have on the world.

"P[HI]erhaps some are fiscally ok while others like myself who use the van a lot look for what amounts to a considerable saving ( I spent £900 in diesel for the motorhome from Jan to March this year alone )"[/HI]

I am by no means wealthy and I also travel a lot and spend around £2000 a year on diesel but if I could not afford it I wouldn't do it.

Biodiesel is bad, don't buy it

GET A LIFE was not aimed at you purely a comment shouted. I did not mean to insult you for that I'm sorry.

You have your views and I have mine and stating them on the forum is what forums are all about, however were is your proof that [HI]Biodiesel is bad[/HI] or any worse that diesel? I to spend lots on fuel, but like many here if I can get it at a good price will pay for it Bio or not. I'm sure many on here use it without problem or concern about it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
All I know is that mine works fine and at 30p per litre I will continue to use it without worrying to much about some great ape that I will possibly never meet. Anyway I only use best quality used Rapeseed oil so my conscience is clear.

Deleted User

Neither I nor the article are saying that the burning of biofuels is any worse for the environment than other fossil fuels.

What is of concern is the effect of the[HI] production[/HI] of biofuels and as I have said the con that it is ecofriendly.

I am no tree hugging ecowarrior and will use fuel as long as it is available but do not like having the wool pulled over my eyes.

If biodiesel was the[HI] only option [/HI]and I could afford it I would probably use it, but as long as ordinary diesel is available I will continue to use it, preferably without the addition of biodiesel.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
One more thing, if anyone can show me a way of getting a 6 ton train weight motorhome 1200 miles on less than £50 I would consider saving a few monkeys :winky:.

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
At the end of the day, it's about personal choice.

One day this house of cards will come tumbling down, and our time will be up. Mother Earth will carry on as she has for millions of years, and some other species will take up top spot.

But while we are here, I choose to limit my impact on the Earth and help others protect the planet wherever they are. It's not about Orangutans or any other specific species, it's about the ecosystem. We're all connected. The Orangutans need the forest to live. As do many other species of animal, so directly some less so. We need air to breath and water to drink - where does that come from? We don't manufacture it, but its not free - it is a product of the planet's ecosystem services, which are driven by things like our rainforests. We need a solution to our fuel needs - ripping down the rainforests for biofuel isn't it. I'm still waiting for someone to solve the nuclear fusion question!

Personally I would like to live in a future where there is some wildlife and wild places and that we haven't mined, drilled, farmed everything to death.

But that's my belief system and my choice. If you couldn't give two hoots about the environment (I would hope that's not the case) and just want your cheap fuel and cheap food then that's your choice.

I used to forgo my car, and refused to watch the F1 which I enjoy, and I lived in a bluebell wood and grew my own vegetables, and certainly would never have bought a motorhome; and quite frankly went a little bit crazy because it was at the expense of enjoying life to a great extent. So it's all about balance. I do what I can, be mindful of my impact on the planet, but enjoy the things i enjoy within that.

Yes my motorhome needs diesel, and is not the most economical of conveyances, but that is far outweighed by the enjoyment it gives me and my family. And i try to make more environmentally friendly choices where possible where it's concerned.

You have to find your own balance.

And we're about due that asteroid anyways, so best fuel up the motorhome and get out there while you still can ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Deleted User
All I know is that mine works fine and at 30p per litre I will continue to use it without worrying to much about some great ape that I will possibly never meet. Anyway I only use best quality used Rapeseed oil so my conscience is clear.

At that price I am assuming that that you produce it yourself which is hardly the same as huge multinational agribusinesses converting food crops and destroying rain forests for a quick temporary solution.

Rapeseed is grown instead of food crops in many places to produce biofuels and causes distortion in the food market, so even small scale operations multiplied many times has an effect.

People may starve in order that we in the affluent countries can have cheap fuel.

maacracing

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
dundee
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
:stopsign::: When we use bio diesel the engine runs cleaner and when its been for MOT the Co2 reading is always lower.
We have Co2 printout to show the difference between bio diesel and pump diesel

Last edited:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Ostrich Syndrome? - I think not - [HI]common sense I think so...........[/HI]

10-20-30 years - Now in 10 years we will still be talking about it, and still doing nothing.... In 20 years we will be thinking about it and STILL doing nothing and in 30 years many here on this forum will be gone and wont give a toss..... as they will be pushing up daisies.

If your so worried about the problem SELL your MH and your car buy a push bike and make the difference STARTING with yourself. Somehow I cannot see you selling your MH and Car so really your no better than anyone else.

So who has Ostrich Syndrome?

So because you'll be dead you dont give a rats ass about your kids, grandkids and the future generation - that rationale is EXACTLY why we have the problem we do. Ostrichs put their heads in the sand and ignore the problem; screw it, I'll be dead, some other poor bugger can sort it out.

As for what cars I run - I got rid of my high performance vehicles years ago and my hyper-fast sports bike. I have 1.1 with a CAT which is about the lowest i can get and still do my job. I changed my business model to double the work we do from one vehicle.

....i check my tyre pressures a lot :ROFLMAO:

I ride a MTB to the local shops and walk where I can.
I buy british where i can too.

I dont have a MH yet - hopefully later this year.

So what do YOU do to reduce your carbon footprint?

Put your head in the sand, dont worry, we'll sort out the crap for you.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
So because you'll be dead you dont give a rats ass about your kids, grandkids and the future generation - that rationale is EXACTLY why we have the problem we do. Ostrichs put their heads in the sand and ignore the problem; screw it, I'll be dead, some other poor bugger can sort it out.

As for what cars I run - I got rid of my high performance vehicles years ago and my hyper-fast sports bike. I have 1.1 with a CAT which is about the lowest i can get and still do my job. I changed my business model to double the work we do from one vehicle.

....i check my tyre pressures a lot :ROFLMAO:

I ride a MTB to the local shops and walk where I can.
I buy british where i can too.

I dont have a MH yet - hopefully later this year.

So what do YOU do to reduce your carbon footprint?

Put your head in the sand, dont worry, we'll sort out the crap for you.

Firstly if you read the post I [HI]did not say[/HI] anywhere in the post that I don't give a rats ass, however as I don't have kids, grand-kids and a future generation I live for today and worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes.

Good for you as far as reducing your carbon footprint is concerned as for mine, I'm happy with it as is. Good luck finding a MH that has a small carbon footprint.

If using common sense is putting your head in the sand so be it.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Firstly if you read the post I [HI]did not say[/HI] anywhere in the post that[HI] I don't give a rats ass[/HI], however as I don't have kids, grand-kids and a future generation [HI]I live for today and worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes. [/HI]

Good for you as far as reducing your carbon footprint is concerned as for mine, I'm happy with it as is. Good luck finding a MH that has a small carbon footprint.

If using common sense is putting your head in the sand so be it.

..."where is the harm in that" - the harm, as was pointed out is the destruction of rainforest to plant a crop to produce a diesel oil substitue. Did you not read that bit?

The destruction of rainforest is THE harm.

You might not be worried about the samething happening in the Amazon for the production of Beef.....

As you cant see it and dont care, why would you be bothered? No future gene pool for you to think about.

The misnomer about "common sense" - its not very common.

"All it takes for bad things to happen is for good men to do nothing" not quite his original quote....

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
sorry people but it dont matter to me if its environmentally right to use it or that its just not the done thing and all the other crap all i need is will it harm me engine is it ok to use it (legal or not) and at 90p a ltr its a bargain i will consider whats goes into the air and does damage when the usa decides they will stop poluting the planet till then is it good is it ok for my engine thats it :Smile:

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
totally agree with u ukbill .now does anybody know how to get the right mixture and what is done to prepare your own oil .

maacracing

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
dundee
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Like I said we made our own bio diesel, there a few different mixes but it all to be within tolerance as it has to burn correctly.
We had a good few attempts before we got it about wright.
The processor has to be heated and methanol added at the correct temperature etc etc......

Last edited:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
WHY SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT THE PLANET? LET THESE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BILLIONS AND BILLIONS IN THE BANK WORRY ABOUT IT. THEY HAVE MONEY THEY WILL NEVER EVER SPEND YET THEY LET CHILDREN DIE FOR THE NEED OF CLEAN WATER TO DRINK OR A NET TO PROTECT THEM FROM MOSQUITOS. PEOPLE ARE STARVING ALL OVER THIS WORLD SO WHY SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT THIS PLANET LET THE RICH GITS WHO DID ALL THE DAMAGE WITH THERE GREED. AS THIS OLD GEORDIE IS SKINT SO DO I CARE ABOUT THE PLANET THAT HAS BEEN RAPED BY EVIL MEN IN THE PURSUIT OF WEALTH NO!NO!NO!!!!! POWER TO THE PEOPLE AND UP WITH MOTORHOME FUN.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back