Binoculars & Suppliers (recomendations). (1 Viewer)

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Right! That's it!:Angry:
I'm absolutely fed up of getting through cheap binoculars faster than Garfield chomps pasta!
It's time to spend some decent money on two pairs (one for me and one for SWMBO) and I'd appreciate any recomendations please.
I.m looking for lightwieght 10x25 or there abouts. Mainly used for birdwatching and scenerey. MUST be small & lightweight so that they'll go in my cycling shirt when I eventually get my lazy backside in gear!:Blush:

Also, where might be a good place to go to try dozens of different models to compare, especailly as (for some reason) I seem to regularly get double vision when using 10 x magnification bino's.:Blush:

Ta

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Ah bliss. A post I can actually respond to in a serious manner.

I have an eyesight problem and wanted a GOOD pair of bino's but didn't know if I would actually be able to tell the difference. Finding somewhere that actually stocked a wide range was a nightmare.

I finally went to a place near Warwick ( Cannot remember name but will find it if you are interested ). This was a 'shop' selling nothing but bino's and was situated on a small farm in the middle of nowhere, wooden shack really, with a huge garden full of wildlife to try them out on.

I tried everything from the cheapest up to the dearest Sworovski ( spelt wrong ) and Leitz etc and actually felt that the £1000 plus ones didn't have much to recommend them ( for me anyway ) so I got a £200 pair of Celestron. Cracking bit of kit, so sharp and clear. plus gas filled and waterproof etc.

That was a year or so ago and still pleased as punch with them.

Last edited:

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
If you are a Bird watcher, you could always try the RSPB shop. I brought a RSPB rebranded pair and they are better than some Nikon and Swarzcov (Spl ??)

Rgds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
If you are a Bird watcher, you could always try the RSPB shop. I brought a RSPB rebranded pair and they are better than some Nikon and Swarzcov (Spl ??)

Rgds

I got a par from RSPB gas filled, waterproof and the optics are superb. Won't fit in a pocket though, cost around £200.:thumb:

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Try the Amazon website :thumb: Wife got me a lovely lightweight binocular complete with carry case that fits nicely on trouser waist belt.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have a pair of 10 x 50Link Removed.. bought at an RSPB shop .. they also do Compact models.

Excellent quality, rubber clad, waterproof and won't break the bank .. highly recommend :thumb:

http://www.opticron.co.uk/

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You don't want to hear this but......I bought a pair of Bresslers 10 x 50's from Lidl.
Not compact but a brilliant view, very sharp and bright picture.

Cost.....£12!!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
You don't want to hear this but......I bought a pair of Bresslers 10 x 50's from Lidl.
Not compact but a brilliant view, very sharp and bright picture.

Cost.....£12!!
Bresser make damn good bins though the 10 x 50's are of the lower range and easily available around the £20 mark. But you did pretty good for £12.

However, take the Bresser 10 x 42 and you are in quite a different league altogether.....and price! You will be lucky to get these under £100 which is still not a bad price as I paid about £120 almost twenty years ago for the identical binocular!

Link Removed

To answer 'zaskars' question isn't easy. How much is your budget? £500 isn't unusual for quality binoculars.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have a pair of Ziess, really good but too big for the pocket. Amongst my retirement gifts was a pair of Pentax, excellent, and they fit in my pocket. I expect them to last a lifetime, my Ziess pair are over over 25 years old and despite being dropped a few times are still perfect.

Rgds
Bill

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I've got several pairs but the Bushnell 10x50's are my faves. Too big for the pocket , but I would give a suitable sized pair of same a try if I were you:thumb:

SmellyFeet

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Less Than 1 Year
If you are spending anything approaching serious money, try before you buy. We bought our last ones from Viking, they may have a branch near you. I was quite prepared to spend zeiss money, but when I compared them to the Nikons, I preffered them. Not saying they are better, just better for my eyes. Saved a considerable amount as well. These are 8 x 25s, tiny, fit in any pocket and are waterproof. Because they fit into a pocket they get a lot of use. At about £200 I would recommend them.

Dave

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thanks for all your imput guys, much appreciated.:thumb:

Second question.:Doh:
Although my eyes can sometimes be dodgy with 10 x magnification (never had a problem with 7x or 8x) I keep thinking that I'd be better with the right 10x bino's cos they're more powerfull?

Thing is, I've heard quite a few people say now that something like 8x30 would be better than 10x25 for bird/nature watching.

Why?

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Thanks for all your imput guys, much appreciated.:thumb:

Thing is, I've heard quite a few people say now that something like 8x30 would be better than 10x25 for bird/nature watching.

Why?
If you are trying to resolve a moving image, such as a bird in flight, you need a large objective lens ~30mm to capture light and lower magnification to maintain image brightness and reduce shake. I have a Bushnell spotting scope with a 50mm objective and variable mag. from 25 - 40. It is permanently on 25 mag. as this produces the best image, even in unbroken sunshine.
Binocular wise I was bought a pair of Nikkon Sportlite DCF 10 x 25 with screw down eyepieces for easy storage. Very pleased with them for mid-range bins and now available for £75 less than I paid:Cool:
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-BAA683AA-10x25-Sport-Lite/dp/B000CS410A[/ame]

Canned Heat

Free Member
Jul 30, 2009
Lancs ( at the moment )
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
0 yet :))
Hi.
I use Zeiss 10x40BGA. The 10 is the magnification, the 40 is the mesurement in millimetres of the opposite end to where you look through, this determines how much light the binos let in. the"B" stands for eyecups that fold down, ideal for spectacle wearers and "GA" and sometimes "BA" means the binos are rubber armoured, therefore more sturdy. The more expensive bino makes like Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski etc have better coated optical lenses that let the light in but dont distort the field of view, hence the price that they cost. The cheaper makes dont have as good lenses, so they let too much light in. All the birders i know use 8x40 or 10x40 using the top brands, but it depends how deep your pockets are.

Hope this helps and good hunting.

steve.

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
I echo the suggestion try before you buy,

I am quite short sighted and I have tried some binoculars and found there was insufficient focusing at infinity when used without specs.

Rgds

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back