Bilbao to Barcelona, stop in the middle? (1 Viewer)

AndyRiff

Free Member
Apr 10, 2016
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos A747-2
Exp
Since 2014
Morning all,

Looking to go to Barcelona area when we get off the ferry late August. We have 2 kids (3 and 8) so it would be nice to split the journey up. Has anyone got any recommendations of sites/aires on the way for an overnight stop. Looked at the Pyrenees route but we have a Burstner Argos tag axle 8.15m long so I'm a little worried about hills/site access?

Thanks guys :)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Dinopolis dinosaur museum, Teruel. Has a huge car park that we regulary overnight in but it is a bit off route.

Zaragoza ACSI campsite?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
A lot will depend on what time your ferry lands at Bilbao and how much driving you want to do...
Be aware how hot it can be that time of year and kids not comfortable in the back..
I have done Benidorm and back for the past 4 years with 2 grandkids, It was 40 degrees in Zaragozza last few times. !

Dinopolis is a great stop but a long way from your route I would say..
For scenery try Pamplona, Jaca, Huesca and Lleida route.

Link Removed

www.vayacamping.net

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I just tank it across on the AP2 ( I think).

Lovely road, not much traffic.

Its easy to do in one hit, but if you are late off the ferry then there is a site in Navarette that we stop at which I guess is about 140 miles from Bilbao.

Its ok, and has a bar(y)

OP
OP
AndyRiff

AndyRiff

Free Member
Apr 10, 2016
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos A747-2
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, for the replies. We get off the ferry at 7:15am

Deleted User
Zaragoza site has a nice pool to relax in........think of the children:)

If the kids are old enough to be left, a bus trip into Zaragoza for the adults is worth the effort.

OP
OP
AndyRiff

AndyRiff

Free Member
Apr 10, 2016
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos A747-2
Exp
Since 2014
Zaragoza site has a nice pool to relax in........think of the children:)

If the kids are old enough to be left, a bus trip into Zaragoza for the adults is worth the effort.
Which site is that please?

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Have stayed at Zaragoza Municipal Camping a number of times when heading north. First visit the site was great, excellent facilities, very clean bit overpriced but OK for an overnighter. Subsequent visits have shown a steady reduction in standards and on last visit, 2015, it was pretty awful, dirty toilets, broken showers and a generally untidy site........ Great pity, but we will be looking for alternate site next time we head home.
May be that previous posters are referring to another site. Follow the link and read the reviews.

Bryan

Deleted User
Which site is that please?

It is the municipal site at Zaragoza, can't put the link up because my anti virus says that the site is currently containing malware.

We stayed there last May and found the facilities OK, it is expensive though.

OP
OP
AndyRiff

AndyRiff

Free Member
Apr 10, 2016
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos A747-2
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for all the info guys, I've just paid my first subs as this seems a great community! :)

We did a lot of driving in France last year, maybe a little too much, so the plan is to have a more relaxed trip. Not been touring in Spain before so was looking for good sites for the kids without too much driving but still trying to get a bit of Spanish culture for me and the missus!
We have 2 weeks. So Ferry to Bilbao (arrive 7:45) then Spain is our Oyster! Looking at the web I found a good looking campsite near Barcelona, Camping Amfora, which seems a good point to head to for a good week. When we return, Playa Joyel looks a good point to head back to for a couple of nights to get the ferry from Santander (20:30).
The stop off at Zaragoza looks like a good point to overnight, especially with a pool to keep the kids cool.

Any thoughts on my plan anyone?

Could we go back via the Pyrenees with the Bursner (tag, 8.1m) or would it be best to avoid? Just thinking it may be cooler...prettier, but need to think of the kids? :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just be aware how busy Spanish campsites and especially the coast sites are....
AND NOISY !! They do love to party :)
and expensive.. So do some research first ref costs...

I have never done the Northern coast of Spain but people tell me how nice it is, so maybe a possibility and look at Barcelona when you have more time.. Or hang around the Top end of the Pyrenees and mix the odd campsite with Aires..

Nice to see you have subscribed, sure you will get some value from it. Dont forget the FUN meets and rallies in the UK..

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Being honest, I don't think you're planning for a relaxing trip.
Driving across Spain in August, hot, dry and is relatively boring imo, miles of desert like wilderness.
Personally, I'd ditch the Barcelona/Mediterranean idea... it's an 800 mile round trip after all.
Pyrenees are beautiful and a great mix of warmth and cool. Could also do the Atlantic coast, Spain, Portugal, France ??
So much to do within a couple of hundred miles of Bilbao... I'd take advantage of that expensive ferry crossing and stay reasonably local (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks for all the info guys, I've just paid my first subs as this seems a great community! :)

We did a lot of driving in France last year, maybe a little too much, so the plan is to have a more relaxed trip. Not been touring in Spain before so was looking for good sites for the kids without too much driving but still trying to get a bit of Spanish culture for me and the missus!
We have 2 weeks. So Ferry to Bilbao (arrive 7:45) then Spain is our Oyster! Looking at the web I found a good looking campsite near Barcelona, Camping Amfora, which seems a good point to head to for a good week. When we return, Playa Joyel looks a good point to head back to for a couple of nights to get the ferry from Santander (20:30).
The stop off at Zaragoza looks like a good point to overnight, especially with a pool to keep the kids cool.

Any thoughts on my plan anyone?

Could we go back via the Pyrenees with the Bursner (tag, 8.1m) or would it be best to avoid? Just thinking it may be cooler...prettier, but need to think of the kids? :)

I was at Playa Joel in Noja for a few days last week.

Nice place.

At low tide you can cross a little river to a lovely little place called Isla( facing the beach turn left).

Don't do what I did the first time though.

Crossed the little stream, then got stuck in a bar for a few hours forgetting the tide came in....

By the time we crossed back it was up to my chest and I had to carry my daughter on my shoulders along with all the other crap we had brought with us:whistle:

OP
OP
AndyRiff

AndyRiff

Free Member
Apr 10, 2016
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos A747-2
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks @tonka, noisy's not too bad as we own a pub with live music so we are pretty used to it :D FUN meets and rallies sound interesting.

@Chris, where did you head to after Noja?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks @tonka, noisy's not too bad as we own a pub with live music so we are pretty used to it :D FUN meets and rallies sound interesting.

@Chris, where did you head to after Noja?

We were heading home.

Spent two weeks in Noja once though and hired a car.

Stunning area with really nice people.

OP
OP
AndyRiff

AndyRiff

Free Member
Apr 10, 2016
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos A747-2
Exp
Since 2014
Ah, it's been a while!

Thanks @Chris, we may just stay in Playa Joyel for a few days after all and see where the mood takes us.

Appreciate the advice everyone :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back