Bikes Stolen. (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sounds like a good idea, especially for high end bikes - but I'm wondering how much extra cost something like this adds to the bill when having the Strikeback fitted?

If I remember correctly nothing. It's part of the install.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Just add to our MH alarm system, 2 doors sensors to the back storage (small garage) doors and a Close Loop Adaptor (flexible cable to loop through the bikes). 3.5 hours work £240 + VAT.
Also using a gold rated D lock and an Aldi's motorbike chain to the bumper. Hope all will keep our Ebikes with us LOL.

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
I hate to state the obvious but your tempting fate securing them to a tree or post.Overnight we put them back on the rack with a couple of locks one of which has a motion sensor and an alarm,a couple of long well tensioned bungees wrapped round the rack ,frames and through the wheels.If the dog doesn't hear them trying to get them off the wife will and I know which one I'd rather face.

Vlad
We usually do put them back on rack. Sadly this time we didn't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Bad news about the bikes. In Amsterdam the other week I noticed quite a few bikes lying around whose frames had obviously been cut. It seems like a determined thief will stop at nothing, even if it's just nicking parts.

I always lock ours back onto the MH rack at night with a Motorbike lock. At least we'd hear anyone trying to nick them.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Really Feel for you. Had ours taken while in a pottery shop in Spain in a quiet place last year. Chained together to a concrete column. ironically we were waiting for the bike repair shop to open as we had a damaged pedal. They should chop off their thieving hands when they catch them.

Last edited:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Not much use now but when you get new bikes fit trackers to them, they will send a signal to your phone, you can then TRY and find an obliging gendarme to arrest the poor unfortunate individual who was so desperate he had to resort to stealing your bikes in order to feed his family, because the benefits system in France simply didn't give enough money to him to be able to live in the style to which he had been accustomed, or you could just shoot the bar stewards.:)
Easily said but don't let it ruin your holiday, sh*t happens, enjoy the rest of your stay.

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
Luckily mine are in the garage, but you can buy mini self adhesive battery PIR alarms very cheaply which you can mount high up on the vehicle back panel pointed downwards if your bikes are on the vehicle cycle racks, this will warn you if anyone is about to cause your bikes to vanish !

LaMB

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Boston
Funster No
MH
Frankia i 640 SD
Exp
Since 2012
:cry:At Carnon Plage aire at the moment. Both of our bikes have been stolen overnight. Neighbours had theirs stolen too. Our were locked together to a tree with a strong combination lock. Neighbours had theirs locked to their step. Not amused as we have 8 weeks holiday left.

I wouldn't trust a combination lock; far to easy to undo. It might take a bit of time, but if everyone is in bed a thief has time.

Martin

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Sorry to hear you had the bikes stolen. We went for the garage purely because of the bikes being out of site. Plus growler alarm from vanbitz. £30 to cover extra doors. Even has the external loop if required
I've said it before I'll say it again I sleep very well knowing we and our possessions are protected by a very good alarm system. If they open the garage door we will know and so will many around us. No help to you at the moment but something to consider in the future.
You can't beat a good alarm.

Guruken

Free Member
Mar 22, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1973 in USA and Europe + wilderness 4WD across eastern Australia
I have recently arrived from Australia with 2 second hand lightweight ( 12kg Al bike and 13kg hi tensile steel for me as I weigh 110kg) folding 20in rear suspension bikes dismantled in my luggage.
I also acquired a Fiamma garage bike carrier on UK ebay which I have just finishing modifying to fit to the back of my 2002 Swift Ace Milano which is normally stored at CC Gatwick site.
I struggled to find secure strong points for mounting despite having an inaccurate 2002 Swift insert map of the rear wall.
Eventually I bought 2 x 850mm lengths 1.5x1.5x0.125in Aluminium channel via ebay which was bolted with 5x6mm bolts through top and bottom channel + sikaflex across the rear of MH.
Then secured the Fammia bike rack to the channel with 2x8mm ss bolts top and bottom .
Al Channel was a close fit with the 30mm dia 2mm thick Al tube that mostly formed the frame of the Fammia folding bike carrier.
I had to remove sink and stove to access the inside wall to fit 6mm locknuts and large washers.

I purposefully have 2 excellent mechanical condition but scruffy looking bikes so as to deter the interest of thieves and have planned to secure with dual cable bike locks to bike carrier.
Unfortunately reading the above posts it seems such cable devices or heavy chains are no impediment to professional thieves.
Also the cost of alarms far exceeds the cost of an ebay purchase of similar used bikes.

I was broken into( asleep and possibly gassed) via forcing a Fiat cab door lock in Sept 2012 and wallet emptied and dumped nearby).
I was parked overnight on the sea wall just south of Ostend airport in the company of approx. 30 motorhomes.
since then I string a 3mm steel chain between the cab doors joined in centre with a D shackle or padlock as I .
Interested in the bike security strategy and experiences of others.
Kindly
Ken

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Sounds like a good idea, especially for high end bikes - but I'm wondering how much extra cost something like this adds to the bill when having the Strikeback fitted?
It is Standard with both our Strikeback and our Growler motorhome alarm systems, so no extra cost(y)

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
I saw this bike theft documentary a few years ago - VERY interesting and satisfying to see a few thieves caught in police stings - a drop in the ocean, but... Also highlights a bike tracker device which I thought may be very useful. Have a look:

Jacquie

Jack Russel

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stockport
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Sorry to hear of your stolen bikes. We are off tec France soon so will take extra care with our bikes but we aren't taking good ones.

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Thanks for all the commiserations . We got 2 bikes to tide us over but finding it difficult. Mine was an AS electric bike. Have a problem with hip and gets really painful after pedalling. Will look into another electric when I get home and make sure of a better security system.

Lin

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Yes, the battery was attached. No key or charger though.
Lin.

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Sorry about your loss. It seems to me from the thread that most bikes are stolen from Aires or when out and about. I am going to France this summer and taking 3 bikes on the rear rack and we are staying at campsites at all times. I know this is 'how long is a piece of string' but what are the funsters thoughts about bike/kit security while on sites.
Pete D.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't think Campsites are any safer than Aires, we have been staying either on Aires or wilding in France & Germany for 6 years with good quality bikes on a rack never had any problems. Now have a van with a garage does feel more secure.
If they want then they will get them wherever you are.

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
We were on a site near St Quentin a couple of years ago and loads of caravans and motorhomes were broken into during the night. They even used our chair seat covers to muffle the sound of breaking glass when breaking into a car. So not all are completely safe. Also I was reading that on the campsite beside the aire we had our bikes stolen from, someone lost a tent and 450 euros.

Lin

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Clumber Park CC, Ferry meadows CC, St Neots CCC - all on our doorstep, all suffering an epidemic of bike theft. It's the same everywhere, no more no less on the continent. Use your noodles and cross your fingers.
Jac

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My bikes as secure as it gets as locked with heavy sold secure chain...I have a alarm padlock from lidl I think? when on aires or street parking I attach it under cover....

This is it, but its silly money in UK compared to what I paid at lidl:( not to be relied upon as a lock! Just an audible alarm....its just about load enough to alert you that's all..

edit: found it cheaper

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Didn't Jaws have bikes nicked from a site in Spain a while ago?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back