Bikes in garage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Steve devon, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

just been and bought myself an Adria sonic with a nice big garage on it. My question is how do people secure their bikes in the garage? I have two Thule roof rack mounted bike holders, I wonder if they could be fitted to the floor of the garage ?

2. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

Congratulations Steve on your new Adria. We were looking at one at Hartleys at Windermere the other week.
    If you put 'Bikes rack garage' in the search box just above your avatar on top right hand corner of screen there are a few threads about it on here.
    Biggest decision is ... do you drill or glue any fitting to the floor. But don't discount hanging them from the 'ceiling' of the garage

3. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

If you want to get two bikes in the smallest space take out the front wheels and turn the forks/handlebars through 90 deg, stack the bikes top and tail with a bit of foam between the crank sets and nothing much else rubs, a couple of bits of rope or bungy cord and a couple of discreet tie down point and Bobs yer uncle, you really don't want to go making holes in your nice new van "do you". If you really want to drill into the floor a couple of quick release spindles for the forks holds them steady and the just a bit of rope around the seat post or back tyre and down to somewhere convenient.

Martin

4. Our Bumble

Our Bumble Funster

We have fitted our little motorbike to the floor of the garage and it works a treat. We secured a bike stand to the floor for the front wheel and then we use a couple of winch straps to secure to the anchor points.

5. Wombles

Wombles Funster

• Like Like x 1
  6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

If any one is interested in one of these I have one for sale. It's the previous version to the one shown but works the same way. No longer use it because we now use Scooter rather than bikes. Works well. Looking for £35 for it.

7. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Garage....if only I have on....that is why I am looking to upgrade to a 7M MH :cry:

8. My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing Funster Life Member

I bought a handrail for a bath that i screwed to the back wall of the garage. Then I bought 2 fiamma bike blocks of different lengths and fastened these to the handrail. Attach the bikes and secure the wheels with either chocks or bungees. I carry 2 mountain bikes and a road bike and all are secure. The Fiamma garage rack is around £150 Plus but this method is around £30. Works a treat.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

I saw just the thing for sale at a recent meet Peterc10 was selling a sliding bike rack which sounds like what youre after:) give him a pm he may still have it

• Like Like x 1
  10. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

I racked out the back and bungee the bikes to that, the other thing I fitted is folding pedals £8 HERE to stop the snagging on any and everything when getting the bikes in and out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Screw your rack to a piece of plywood the same size as your garage floor then you can screw anything down without damaging the van floor.

12. Wagoneer

Wagoneer Funster

I have a roof mounted Thule bike rack which I now use in the garage of the MH.

The 2 mounting points on the bike rack are screwed to two short lengths of 40 x 40mm timber (at right angles to the rack). The timbers are then screwed to the floor of the garage.

The modification works great and saved me loads of dosh.

13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I fitted detachable peddles to both bikes makes loading much easier. stand both bikes up nose to tail against the back wall with some heavy 25mm thick packing plastic packing material between the forks so the bikes don't rub against each other and a similar piece of foam siliconed to the back wall where one of the handle bars sits. Secured with a camlock strap around the frames to the top luggage rail and a bungee around the headsets, only takes a few minutes to load both bikes

• Like Like x 2
  14. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

Thanks for all the replies , some very good ideas there