Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I've always been at a bit of a loss as to how to secure my bikes when away from the pitch - there's not always a stout fence or a tree to padlock the frames to.

I bought a large screw in post, designed to attach a dog lead too. It's quite hefty, about 1/4" in diameter, and about a foot long. I then padlock both bikes to the loop at the top. If anybody wanted to unscrew it, they would have to pick up the bike, or bikes before they could turn it out - just abbout impossible!!

Not foolproof, of course, but it would certainly make a thief think twice, or even thrice!!

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good idea unless its a Itinerant with a boly cutter but then if a thief wants it, nowt stops them.

Peter

That's a fact Peter.. we had one stolen on the aire at Capbreton, almost brand new Trek mountain bike, it was secured using a steel wire hawser .. which I thought that would need an oxy / acetylene torch to cut through .. on another occasion the scum stole a saddle.. damn these quick release fittings.. and on a third occasion, a guy simply walked up, jumped on and drove off while my son was standing guard .. in broad daylight, outside Lidl in Roquetas, Spain.:Angry:

My advice, leave your nice expensive cycles at home and take old rusty boot sale ones.. good bikes are just too attractive and the thief is watching, just waiting for you to relax your guard..

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I wasn't proposing that this is a solution to bike theft, and even the theft of your rusty old steed, whatever it's value, can be damned inconvinient and certainly unhelpful.

This method does offer some security if the bikes are left on site.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I wasn't proposing that this is a solution to bike theft, and even the theft of your rusty old steed, whatever it's value, can be damned inconvinient and certainly unhelpful.

This method does offer some security if the bikes are left on site.

Not knocking your idea Doug .. it is better than leaving them with nothing and would deter the opportunist.

The point I was making is that bike theft is rife and if they want `YOUR' bike.. they will have it.. make no mistake.

On another occasion at the same aire we saw an old bike lying against the fence. After a few days it became clear that it had been left by accident and the owner couldn't be bothered coming back .. it was still there several weeks later .. no one wanted it..

jim

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
The way I look at it if somebody wants it they will get it no matter what you do it comes down to the damage they do getting it. I normally tie 2 bikes together as they would look stupid running down the road with them

Reading scotjims reply reminds me when a lad asked my son for a go on his bike and guess what yes he disapeared on it. Seen the bike 3 months later and could the lad run who had it

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Not knocking your idea Doug .. it is better than leaving them with nothing and would deter the opportunist.

The point I was making is that bike theft is rife and if they want `YOUR' bike.. they will have it.. make no mistake.

On another occasion at the same aire we saw an old bike lying against the fence. After a few days it became clear that it had been left by accident and the owner couldn't be bothered coming back .. it was still there several weeks later .. no one wanted it..

jim

I'm not disagreeing with you either jim, I know that whatever measures you take, if someone is determined enough........

An extract from my reply on the Brompton thread, of 11/11......

My last Brompton was stolen from outside the Gaasperplas Metro station in Amsterdam. It was chained, with my wifes 'bike in a bag', to a tubular steel bike tack bolted to the pavement. It was chained with two HIGH SECURITY chains with 1/4" hardened links and an unpickable Abus lock. The thieves cut through the tubular steel rack and took both bikes. The whole thing was recorded on a security camera. Nobody seemed to notice??

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The thieves cut through the tubular steel rack and took both bikes. The whole thing was recorded on a security camera. Nobody seemed to notice??

Yes Doug, I recall your post, the thing is, if you saw someone cutting a chain off a bike would you intervene ?
Frankly, I doubt if I would, you could end up dead .. it's just not worth the risk .. :Sad:

jim

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Its a shame but its the way of the world now unfortunately, all you can do is make someone else's an easier bet, then hope for the best. Looks a good idea to me though, at least they might look elsewhere, with luck.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Yes Doug, I recall your post, the thing is, if you saw someone cutting a chain off a bike would you intervene ?

jim

Depends on the size and age of the perpetrator... if it was a slim 6 year old, I wouldn't hesitate!! (well, I'd probably hesitate long enough to make sure he didn't have any bigger friends) I'm brave I am!!:ROFLMAO:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
My mates uses a great method for securing his bike, he has an allen key on his keyring when he locks it up he also loosens the handlbars and spins them round till the tension pulls on the brake cables and locks the brakes, he has it adjusted so the handle bars are 90 degrees to where they should be when he tightens everything up again meaning its impossible to ride even with the brakes off!! :winky:

He also locks it with a cheap combination lock but uses this method all the time, lives in the centre of London uses the bike every day and had the same bike for 3 years (and its not a cheap bike!!!). ::bigsmile:

The other favorite and going back to Jims loathing of quick release systems is to remove a wheel and the saddle and put em in the van :thumb:

Last edited:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
I'm not disagreeing with you either jim, I know that whatever measures you take, if someone is determined enough........

An extract from my reply on the Brompton thread, of 11/11......

My last Brompton was stolen from outside the Gaasperplas Metro station in Amsterdam. It was chained, with my wifes 'bike in a bag', to a tubular steel bike tack bolted to the pavement. It was chained with two HIGH SECURITY chains with 1/4" hardened links and an unpickable Abus lock. The thieves cut through the tubular steel rack and took both bikes. The whole thing was recorded on a security camera. Nobody seemed to notice??

Last year I was in centre of Amsterdam and witnessed over 20 bikes with chain/wire locks being taken! These were not taken by thiefs but by council and police they, just used angle grinder to unsecure bikes and then threw them into a truck for disposal. It appears that you just can't park bikes where you like:cry:

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
my bike was stolen from clumber park cc site, they cut through 2 chains and burnt off all the straps:Angry: insurance wouldnt cover the bike. i later found it on flea bay told police the guy got £100 fine, not bad for a 3 grand bike:Angry: £2900 profit no wonder they arnt bothered about knicking them. and i still didnt get it back.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Bike security

savantuk You got so near the right answer - lock a dog onto the pole, as well...

Cheers

Spokesman

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
There was an article in a cycling magazine some years ago where they locked a bike to a city-centre fence.
Then, they repeatedly went and 'stole' the bike, just to see if anyone noticed.

They were increasingly brazen about it, until they were strolling up with a huge pair of bolt cutters, looking as much like crooks as possible.
Not one person in the busy street did anything about it, not even reporting it to the police or security guards who were wandering around.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There was an article in a cycling magazine some years ago where they locked a bike to a city-centre fence.
Then, they repeatedly went and 'stole' the bike, just to see if anyone noticed.

They were increasingly brazen about it, until they were strolling up with a huge pair of bolt cutters, looking as much like crooks as possible.
Not one person in the busy street did anything about it, not even reporting it to the police or security guards who were wandering around.

Not just bikes, crooks are brazen enough to drive up to a house with a removal van and empty the contents.. no one bats an eyelid :Sad:

When Jan worked in Sainburys a 'customer' walked out with a TV with the assistance of a member of staff .. think he lost his job :roflmto:

Another example, I stupidly locked the car keys in the boot.. I then proceeded to 'break in' .. took me ages and eventually retrieved the keys by removing the back seat.. no one blinked an eye or said anything .. all done in a busy car park..

The more brazen you are the more likely you are to get away with it..

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Remeber quite a few years ago I worked a Saturday job in a large Department store in the centre of Glasgow, a couple of guys drove into the loading bay handed the bay manager a load of papers then proceeded to load six three piece suites into the van before driving off, you guessed it they were thieves :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back