Bike security - removable pedels (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Mmm!!!! Now lets see........
£1400 for an E-bike.....or steal the pedal-less bike and spend maybe £50 for a set of pedals.

No brainer really.

I double lock depending on location (different types on lock require different tools to break). remove the battery,remove the display, and if really in a cautious mode remove saddle as well.....

an e bike without a charger/battery/display/pedals (towards £1000 to replace) has got to be pretty unattractive to the scroats out there. + unless they are professionals bike thieves, probably just opportunist junkies

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
your missing the point..... the more you remove the more unattractive to steal it becomes. Anyway when I had a CB with garage storage with removable pedals would have been welcomed. My bikes cost just under £3k & £4K - every little bit helps!

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Apart from the double padlocks on the bikes I usually have to twist the bars to one side so I leave the bolt lose so it makes it almost impossible to ride the bike away.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I remove a pedal anyway to stop it rubbing through the cover. They aren't special pedals, just ordinary ones. Did help to deter a thief once though.

Rgds
Bill

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
It was an eye opener for me at Bristol, seeing whats left of a bike, generally just the frames locked to the Whatever. Spect it was people replacing whatever was nicked from their bikes.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Don't need pedals to wheel around the corner and throw in the back of a trannie van!

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
if they want it they will take it..whatever you do. last summer in Lake garda a gang was going around nicking Haibikes or high end bikes...one chap on a forum lost both his and his partners.

£500+ battery/ £150 display/£50 pedals (£100 charger in van)..all in my rucksack when i'm out and about. Whose bike are they going to nick, mine or intact one next to it

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I also remove a pedal to stop it rubbing on cover-just plain ordinary pedal (y)it comes off with a spanner.
Did see this outside Gugenheim in Bilbao.
Where's my bike. [800x600].jpg

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
A friend has these on both their bikes, bought for making camper garage storage easier...But my brain has just kicked in and who is going to nick (expensive e bikes in our case) without pedals! Fancy the sexy chrome ones.....:)

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/pedals/product/review-mks-xp-ezy-35106/

Pedals are easy to come by; all new bikes have to have pedals even if it is known that clip pedals will be installed - top end bikes will come with really basic pedals to meet legal requirements.- I have 3 pairs of cheap & cheerful pedals sitting in my garage, just in case I have to use my bikes without my cleats or someone offers me a cheap e-bike with no pedals ;)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Pedals are easy to come by; all new bikes have to have pedals even if it is known that clip pedals will be installed - top end bikes will come with really basic pedals to meet legal requirements.- I have 3 pairs of cheap & cheerful pedals sitting in my garage, just in case I have to use my bikes without my cleats or someone offers me a cheap e-bike with no pedals ;)

No they don't, but if pedals are fitted they must have reflectors fitted to them.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
No they don't, but if pedals are fitted they must have reflectors fitted to them.
Must have been mis-informed; I've bought 3 road bikes in the last 18 months from different suppliers with SPDs & cleats + pedals at the same time. Each told me that they had to provide their bike with the basic pedals as well. Same requirement for front and rear reflectors

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Must have been mis-informed; I've bought 3 road bikes in the last 18 months from different suppliers with SPDs & cleats + pedals at the same time. Each told me that they had to provide their bike with the basic pedals as well. Same requirement for front and rear reflectors
Well I am up to the famous n+1 where n currently is in double figures! Certainly some come with and some without, it seems the more expensive the bike is the less likely it will ship with pedals.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Well I am up to the famous n+1 where n currently is in double figures! Certainly some come with and some without, it seems the more expensive the bike is the less likely it will ship with pedals.
We have 12 bikes in our household .... but none of them expensive to have come without pedals :)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
There you go you've beaten me - only 11, but there is only two of us. From memory the ones that came without pedals Ridley Noah, Planet X CycloCross, Specialized S Works Ruby, Merida CycloCross 4, Felt F4130 and handbuilt steel audax.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
lots of bikes come without pedals...

I guess that is another occasion when more you pay, the less you get.

For those who are in need:

FOR SALE: Cheap bike pedals suitable for any bikes (including electric ones) that come without them. PM me for details :)

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I guess that is another occasion when more you pay, the less you get.

For those who are in need:

FOR SALE: Cheap bike pedals suitable for any bikes (including electric ones) that come without them. PM me for details :)

some take their cycling seriously (not me) and pedals a personal choice. whats the point in paying for them twice.:cool:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
some take their cycling seriously (not me) and pedals a personal choice. whats the point in paying for them twice.:cool:
I did not want the pedals that came with my bike; they said that they had to keep them on until I took possession. They were removed as soon as I got home and the SPDs went on. My cheap pedals are ideal for those that acquire electric bikes without pedals, re the OP.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back