Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
To get around we're thinking of getting two bikes and was wondering how safe they will be on bike racks, we haven't chosen our motorhome yet so could look at ones with a garage although we are nearly settled on an eldiss 155, comments on this choice also very much appreciated.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It is easy to become paranoid about scare stories, just look at the "gassing" threads on here. Or, then again, maybe not!;)

If you refer to my post and advice.. I resent the implication that is it was a scare story.. and comparison to gassing is crass

bike theft happens.. petty theft of all kinds happens on sites and aires both here and abroad.. gassing is an urban legend.

my post was to inform and alert the OP .. ... not scare .

taking sensible precautions and using common sense isn't being paranoid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you refer to my post and advice.. I resent the implication that is it was a scare story.. and comparison to gassing is crass

bike theft happens.. petty theft of all kinds happens on sites and aires both here and abroad.. gassing is an urban legend.

my post was to inform and alert the OP .. ... not scare .

taking sensible precautions and using common sense isn't being paranoid.
Oh boy!

Why did you take exception? I was not referring to your post.

I was merely making the point that thieves will break through any barrier if they have to.

As for gassing the reference was to the fact that no- one should be scared off motor homing and cycling because of the perceived risks involved. We take risks in everything we do.

You have taken offence where none was intended.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Oh boy!

Why did you take exception? I was not referring to your post.

I was merely making the point that thieves will break through any barrier if they have to.

As for gassing the reference was to the fact that no- one should be scared off motor homing and cycling because of the perceived risks involved. We take risks in everything we do.

You have taken offence where none was intended.

well. it was how it read to me.. you said in reference to bike theft.. "It is easy to become paranoid about scare stories,"

if not my 'story' who's were you referring to ?

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
ScotJimland

Should I be scared of the scare stories regarding cutting a hole in the side of my oil tank, or any other for that matter.

I made the point that we should do all that we can to dissuade the casual thief. I do not consider that attempting to "scare" the OP.

If you read it that way, or that it was a dig at your post, I repeat, it was not intended.

Should the OP be "scared" as a result of your comment re "bike jacking"?

You can read what you want into a post I sppose.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Chill guys :)

never lost a bike yet (touch wood) from a rack, becauses I always go OTT securing them, simply heard to many stories. Only problem being if you just wanted to get them off to go and get bread it was quicker to walk:D

When you carry over 6K worth of bikes security goes up a notch. now we have the Busbiker NL rack life much easier.... I fitted a ground anchor with shearing security bolts, to steel cross bar on swing out bike rack. and use a quality chain and lock through the bikes. cant imagine what else I could do to honest...

Now we travel relatively relaxed instead of always worrying about it when we had to leave vans. And yes always keep covered, excuse the fuzzy pic....

bar.jpg

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you want to keep your bikes safe get a MH with a garage.

Not all of us like large white boxes on wheels :) Garages get broken into as well. I would go to the same lengths and fit a ground anchor in a garage as well

There are a few panel vans with garages now, Possl and La Strada have models....

Upvote 0

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Not all of us like large white boxes on wheels :) Garages get broken into as well. I would go to the same lengths and fit a ground anchor in a garage as well

There are a few panel vans with garages now, Possl and La Strada have models....

There is even a British built on, sorry for the poor photo taken tonight, I can get two bikes on the slideout leaving a lot of space for the wine allowance.

Attachments

• DSC_0033.JPG
    DSC_0033.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
To get around we're thinking of getting two bikes and was wondering how safe they will be on bike racks,

Was the OP question. I followed a spat on another forum and wondered why it does not seem to happen on this forum. In answer to the OP we do not have nor want a garage to fill with !$^£, we can fit all that under the beds or in the roof box. We do carry 2 bikes,, neither expensive although my son donated his aluminium one to me. The are kept on a Thule tow bar mounted rack, locked to towbar, and both bikes locked to rack then "D" locks between both frames and wheels. Vanbitz alarm link through them, Then covered with Fiamma cover. We are off to Spain in May and will not worry about them unduly. If the scrotes want them, they will have them,, no matter how much security I put on them. One thing you need to realize is the scrotes do not care what damage they do to your pride and joy.. they will not be around on your return.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Security chains and cables can be as good as they come....but a hacksaw will soon eat through an aluminium bike rack....and usually that's all you have to secure it to.

Result....new bike/s and a new rack.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Sorry pj,,, the bike is aluminium,, the rack is ???? :D

Upvote 0

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I don't see the point of cheap bikes they are not very pleasant to ride so not much point in taking them with you.
When I say 'cheap bikes' I don't mean 'rubbish bikes'. Just don't go for the flask £1000+ bikes. You'd be just asking for trouble. And, yes, why not make it harder for them. I have always used four locks - two of the short, sturdy, thick, plastic coated variety and two, long matted wire with a padlock each. And when we take them to the shops we just use two sets of locks.
Some years ago, in the Carrefour in the North side of Calais I saw in a group of kids from the apartment block steal a bike off an English MH. It only had one flimsy lock. I think they did it for a dare!
Also, park in sight not way off at the far end of a carpark

But, hey Kevingrc, relax and enjoy. If you are sensible you should have no worries. And if you loose a bike and it didn't cost a lot then shrug it off.
We have seen several 'sharks' trying 'distraction' techniques. If you keep valuables out of sight (and out of reach) and don't leave off side doors open you should be OK(y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
At the risk of introducing another 'chocolate fireguard' I'll add that I purchased my mountain bike secondhand for £70.00 and it is a really clean and tidy bike. You could easily spend more on a lock! :)

Keith Hart

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Oh dear I never thought of that. :eek:

For any Funsters in the Birmingham area I purchased it at the Birmingham Bike Foundry on the Pershore Road in Stirchley which is a 'community' cycle shop.

We were down visiting our daughter in Birmingham and she recommended the shop to us.

Keith Hart

Upvote 0

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Hello both and welcome.

Ask a question about ANY 'van on here and someone will find fault. "Never have one of those if you gave it to me" type comment. It's just a matter of experiences and preferences. All I can say is that for value and facilities, it is right up there with some of the more expensive MH's

James

Ive been on several car forums over the years and the above statement is absolutely true!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
At the risk of introducing another 'chocolate fireguard' I'll add that I purchased my mountain bike secondhand for £70.00 and it is a really clean and tidy bike. You could easily spend more on a lock! :)

Keith Hart
You're gonna get into trouble mentioning 'chocolate' ... some of the ladies on here would kill for it ... especially Janine! :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back