Bike racks and weight limits? (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
On our bike rack it has a lable stating a 60kg weight limit, but I can't find any information in the Rapido manual as to the max weight that the mountings on the van will take.
Any ideas or where I can find the information?
The 2 electric bikes we have weigh a total of 55kg

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
55Kg might be pushing it a bit, but you'd take the batteries off and remove the seats wouldn't you? You don't want them to be attractive to a thief.
I've heard of an immigrant getting under the covers of a rack to try and gain free entry. They were discovered, with no mention of damage to the rack, so they'll clearly take more than what's stated.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Personally wouldn't load a bike rack to maximum weight..

it may well be rated at 60kg static load.. but when you go over a speed bump, or a ferry ramp, the static load becomes a dynamic load, several times greater than the static load .. depending on bump.. by a factor of 3 or more.. so your 55kg bikes become 165 kg.

it's not unknown for rear walls to be ripped off by bike racks. ..

It was the reason I bought a van with a garage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
more thoughts..

lifting an electric bike onto a rear rack is not an easy job .. an alternative is a towbar bike rack such as Thule make..

they are solid and will carry two electric bikes with ease and are not high off the ground.. so no heavy lifting..

I had one when I had the RV and sold to an other funster

this one takes three bikes ..total load 75 kg

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
As stated above. 55kg is pushing it a bit. I see vans with 4 bikes on sometimes. They could be well over Fiammas 60kg limit. That poor van wall. I have a wisper 905 e bike at home and it's still fairly heavy without the battery. Good luck

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
just to illustrate dynamic loading..

kitchen scales with 2lb static load

IMG_0107.jpg

same weight, scales being moved up an down gently .. load increases to 6lb +

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
On our bike rack it has a lable stating a 60kg weight limit, but I can't find any information in the Rapido manual as to the max weight that the mountings on the van will take.

Surely, if they supply a rack labelled 60kg then you can put 60kg on it or tell them to repair it if it falls off.

Different matter with an after-market fit, I followed a PVC with a rack mounted on the rear door and watched the door bend over every bump. The owner had to brace the rack with wood after he had straightened the door.

Our Burstner has an aluminium bar full width of the vehicle that the rack hangs off, I guess that has enough screws to take the load. Well it's still hanging there after Moroccan roads.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Jim,
Agree with your sentiments but I think the one you 'linked' to has a max capacity of 51kg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just to illustrate dynamic loading..

I'm sure the makes understand this. If you carry on with this logic then do you de-rate the payload because the suspension will go over a bump ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim,
Agree with your sentiments but I think the one you 'linked' to has a max capacity of 51kg

strange .. didn't see that .. I read the pargarph on the right that says ..
  • Loading capacity 25 kg per bike, enabling transport of lighter E-bikes/Pedelecs.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
If a rack has a 60kg weight limit then 55kg is perfectly fine. The rack will have been tested to at least double that weight. The Fiamma rack has been designed in collaboration with the moho manufacturers and therefore you can be confident that the mounting points are designed for considerably more than the 60kg maximum. The people who make these things know that if a bike rack falls off and causes an accident they will be held liable and the damages could run to millions. For that reason they make absolutely sure that the limit they put on it is very very safely within the actual limitations of the rack. On the other hand, if you actually exceed the specified load then on your own head be it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm sure the makes understand this.

just as they understand making a motorhome watertight ? .. doesn't seem difficult...

but forums are full of leaky van stories.. you have more faith than I have !

in any case.. I said what I wouldn't do..

others must decide for themselves..

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Jim,
Even more confused now as purely out of interest I have downloaded the user manual pdf and my brain is going number the more I read it. Would appreciate your view. I have (I think) uploaded the relevant page as a pdf but if it wont load, it is page three of the user manual on the page you linked to.

Attachments

• weights.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 96

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim,
Even more confused now as purely out of interest I have downloaded the user manual pdf and my brain is going number the more I read it. Would appreciate your view. I have (I think) uploaded the relevant page as a pdf but if it wont load, it is page three of the user manual on the page you linked to.

The data is confusing to be sure.. but it looks like it's max carry weight is 51kg .. and the weight of any single bike is 25kg ..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
ATTENTION ATTENTION - MOVING GOAL POSTS - STAY WELL CLEAR.

moving no goal posts..

it was you who moved them...:rolleyes:

If you carry on with this logic then do you de-rate the payload because the suspension will go over a bump ?

but fail to see your point.. I gave my opinion.. others can form their own without trying to make a mockery of someone else's..:(

end of story..

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Any ideas or where I can find the information?
The 2 electric bikes we have weigh a total of 55kg
They will at least be capable of the sum of bike rack and bike rack loading. Is yours fitted to the Rapido fixing points? i.e. OFF CENTRE
You could just ask Anthony Pfaff but I cannot imagine him saying any different.
That rear wall is designed to also accommodate a ladder and a big fat bloke

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
it may well be rated at 60kg static load
Manufacturers of bike racks do I believe understand that their rack is not going to be stationery when they apply their weight limits.
A 60kg limit is including driving along.

You are implying that you can put 60kg on it as long as you never go anywhere.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Manufacturers of bike racks do I believe understand that their rack is not going to be stationery when they apply their weight limits

I gave my view Andy, and an explanation why I held it .. you disagree that's fine by me..

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think I would go with what the manufacturer instructions say. They certainly don't say unless you're going to actually drive somewhere with it :LOL:

The fiamma are extendable to four bikes and often that will require the full rating

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I think I would go with what the manufacturer instructions say.

he did

Be carfull with bike racks on Swift vans, I have a Swift Eldiss before the one we Have now and with only 2 normal bikes on the rack the weight of the bikes pulled the fitting throught the body of the van!! and they were fitted by a Swift dealer!!!!!!!

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
Having read various posts about fitting a bike rack to the back of motorhomes, it put the fear of God in me. Brought two folding electric bike and carried them under the bed of my Rapido when away for four months in winter 2014/15. This was a real pain and decided to fit Fiamma bike rack for 2015/16. I did not use the Rapido fixing points as I wanted it fitted below the rear window and having read @Techno thread on fitting bike rack took the plunge. I fitted a steel bar between the top fixings to spread the load and when the bikes are on I put a ratchet strap from the ladder bracket to the bike rack to give a it of support when going over bumps etc. A bit OTT I guess but it has been ok so far.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

it may well be rated at 60kg static load.. but when you go over a speed bump, or a ferry ramp, the static load becomes a dynamic load, several times greater than the static load .. depending on bump.. by a factor of 3 or more.. so your 55kg bikes become 165 kg.

it's not unknown for rear walls to be ripped off by bike racks. ..

It was the reason I bought a van with a garage
When they are fitted incorrectly,,,,BUSBY,,,

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Someone was saying.....(at a rally, I think), that a German van on one of the Auto Routes lost the complete back wall of the van, when the bikes pulled it off.
Cant help wondering if attached racks do strain the rear panel, and encourage water ingress, or structure failure, after all, manufactures have been known to invalidate moisture ingress warranty when presented with a rear rack fitted van.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is this for one bike or two....Have seen it done of small steps by one person..looked very precarious to be honest. I would ask some one passing for assistance, far safer as a two person job. are you sure the rack can take the weight? as its not unknown for a rack to fly of the back wall on UK Motorhomes over an unseen speed bump for instance or even the rear wall fall out:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
the weight limit on a fiamma bike rack is 60kg though. anywhere near that weight and the brackets start pulling through the wall. if there is any flexing, the racks also snap if constantly loaded heavily

scooter/motorcycle racks are mounted to the chassis directly or towbar which is obviously chassis mounted

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back