Bike Rack Installation

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Greysand, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Greysand

Greysand Read Only Funster

Hello All,

Just joined as I have been looking round for tips on installing a bike rack on my 2009 Autocruise Startrail.

I have a fiamma pro C and have just received the rear panel diagram from Swift. There is a 28mm plywood block for the bottom brackets, but no block to support the upper brackets for this model bike rack.

The upper and lower brackets are spaced from 400 to 500 mm.

What amount of force/weight are the upper brackets subjected to? (Max 40kg load on bike rack)

As the upper brackets are behind the fixed bed headboard, can I strengthen from inside?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. SpongeBobsDad

SpongeBobsDad Read Only Funster

Hi Greysand

Be careful when drilling holes in your motor home make sure that you use some good sealant when fixing the fittings.

I had some trouble with dampness getting into the rear wall of one of my motor homes after drilling through and fitting a bike rack the sealant i used wasn't the right stuff,it caused a big and expensive problem to put right.

Have not bothered to put any thing that involves putting holes in or through the body in my new motor home.:thumb:

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi,

If you give Ian or Glenn a call on 01-580-881288, they should be able to advise you.

Regards

Peter

4. Greysand

Thanks Ronny,

I have got the correct sealant and the installation instructions do show where sealant should be used, and I usually 'overkill' anyway.:thumb:

5. Greysand

Thanks Peter, I wil call Ian or Glenn:thumb:

6. zaskar

zaskar Funster

I did this on the back of an Abbey Spectrum 535 (Swift Group) after the dealer point blank refused. Spoke to Swift on the phone (who were extremely helpfull). They sent me the diagram in the post and assured me that the rear panel of any of thier vans which are specifically stated as being designed to take a rack, are all capable of taking the load of the fiamma racks loaded.
    You wond need to reinforce the rear panel PROVIDING you dont intend to overload the rack.

Coincidentally, my caravan also had the fixed rear headboard, which is why the dealer refused, stating that they'd tried one not long ago and ended up wrecking the headboard when they took it off to fix the rack.

Both Swift and I were gobbsmacked at this considering the flipping thing is only held on with self adhesive velcro!:Rofl1:

Trust a dealer? Yeah right!!!!!!!:Doh:

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if there is no support timbers for the upper mountings and you do go ahead and fit the rack the use large spreader plates on the inside and DO NOT overtighten the fixing bolts...the rear panel WILL be crushed on the outside by the fixing bracket itself.

8. Greysand

Thanks Zaskar, I have just spoken to Glenn at John Cross motorhomes and been given excellent imformation. So there does appear to be a trustworthy dealer out there in this instance!:thumb:

9. Greysand

Thanks Pappajohn,

Just been advised to drill 10mm holes and use 10mm copper pipe as a 'sleeve' for the bolts, and everything should be fine. Anybody out there disagree?:Wink:

10. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

I opted for a towbar mounted one as I didn't want to drill the panelling of the van.

Fits in place of the towball, not on it.

Certainly Spreading the load is a must if going for a rear-mounted one.

Sounds like you've been given some pretty good advise already.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  11. bald eagle

bald eagle Read Only Funster

How greysand and :welcome:

regards
    bald eagle:thumb:

12. Greysand

Hi There,
    I too have misgivings about drilling the rear panel, and I have a Thule tow ball mounted bike rack which I used on my tow car when the van wasn't attached. However, it was a pain to mount and having been quoted between £500-600 for a tow bar, decided on the fiamma solution. Friends have used the fiamma for some time with no problems.

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Not if that 10mm pipe is supposed to stop you crushing the frame. You could crush soft copper with your fingers ( almost ).

If it's an alloy skin and you put copper against it - any moisture and the alloy will corrode.

ISTM that if you drill oversize to take a sleeve than you are weakening the structure a bit more.

I would say that you want the bolt *very* tight in the hole so you get no slop to allow vibration to make it bigger. Then push bolt through sit stiff-nut next to it and measure protruding thread. Now you have a guide as to when to stop turning that spanner.

14. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

As Steve has said I too opted for a towbar mounted bike rack for the rear of my Monaco, but I also fitted another tow ball higher up so we could still tow the car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards Pat

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  15. Greysand

Thanks Brian,
    All valid points, and the Jury is still out on this one. I was an Electrical/Electronics engineer so am mindful of the pitfalls....Looking at getting a towbar fitted, and using my Thule rack.

16. hilldweller

Not so sure about that. If you need to tow fine, but if you don't the last thing a MH needs is unnecessary weight. Just think how many bottle of wine a towbar represents.

Hanging a bike rack isn't rocket science.

17. kaspian

kaspian Read Only Funster

:Rofl1:

Ha Ha Brian, it is according to ELDDIS ! I am currently trying to find out where the reinforcement (if any ) is placed in the rear panel of my Avantgarde 130 to then determine which model of bike rack is most suitable to fit and the reply I got was THEY (Elddis) do NOT supply this information to customers ,as, if you drill into the panel the water ingress warranty is then void . Information will only be supplied to dealers for them to fit - No doubt in their space lab at NASA.!!:Wink:

18. hilldweller

What planet do they come from ?

OK I can see their point, some people will botch it but then so will some dealers.

All they have to do is supply a drawing with huge red disclaimer.

19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member